Audi Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read an article earlier this year in the quarterly Audi mag about the state of TMC info in the UK. It said that this was now available on the A6 nav system and that older models could be brought in for a firmware upgrade and said they were working on a similar upgrade for the A3 (not sure why it's different).

What exactly is the state of TMC in the UK? Firstly, are the signals being broadcast yet? If not then when will they be? Secondly, when such signals do arrive the above article suggests that the A3 won't be able to use them without some kind of update. Has this update been completed yet? Does anyone know anything more about it?

All so confusing.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
TMC broadcasts have been available in the UK for several years, my 2001 S8 was TMC capable, but only got a disk that was TMC enabled in 2004/5.

The situation is this with Audi.

A6/A8/Q7 built from week 45 2005 have working TMC, cars built before then can be software upgraded to enable TMC and they also require the latest 2006 DVD version AF. They recieve there TMC signals from Traffic Master in the UK.

The A3/A4 and A6 (C5) chassis with RNS-E are not yet TMC enabled only because the software does not exist on the DVD to enable it. They will require a new DVD (2007 maybe). Currently the 2006_1 DVD does not support TMC in the UK, but it works in europe as TMC is freely available.

Audi keep promising a new TMC disk for the UK and also keep fobbing A3/A4 drivers off with various excuses about why it is not yet ready. You could try writing to Audi customer services along with a lot of other angry Audi owners and add your weight to the arguement, but I don't think you will get anywhere.

Hope that helps

Craig (working TMC in the A8 )

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Craig, very informative. Spose there's not much to do except wait and hope for the updated DVD for the UK. Until that's forthcoming I spose I'll just have to play with TMC on my next trip to the 'ring.

Out of interest, how well does the TMC work? Is it "live" enough to be useful and does the nav route around problems effectively?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
It directed me around a 3 hour jam on the M6/M1 junction, so far it has been useful.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi Vertigo1, I saw the same article in Audi magazine. TMC uses the TrafficMaster system which has been around in the UK for well over ten years, using those infra-red sensors on dual carriageway/motorway bridges and the like to monitor traffic flow.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
benw123 said:
Hi Vertigo1, I saw the same article in Audi magazine. TMC uses the TrafficMaster system which has been around in the UK for well over ten years, using those infra-red sensors on dual carriageway/motorway bridges and the like to monitor traffic flow.
The article in the Audi Magazine was only part of the story. It omitted to mention that in the UK there are two competing commercial TMC providers, ITIS and TrafficMaster. Both charge a licence fee to companies to use their TMC data - unlike the rest of Europe where TMC is seen as essential public information and is free-to-air. As Haaggie has shown in a post on this forum Dutch TMC even carries the location of speed cameras!!!

ITIS provide the information used to generate the TMC data carried on the RDS signal on Classic FM, and have been chosen by Bosch, Alpine, and lots of other car audio manufacturers as the source of their TMC information.

Audi along with several other car manufacturers have chosen TrafficMaster as their provider of TMC information.

The key point is that TrafficMaster is one of two companies that provide TMC information in the UK.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting. It sounds like a real minefield and I'm wondering what the REAL chances of this being resolved for A3 RNS-E users in the near future is.

Hopefully Audi will have to do something to resolve the problem as selling a satnav solution that costs over £2k and doesn't work with TMC isn't going to wash for very long I don't think (or at least hope).

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
The worst case scenario is that Audi UK will try and "tough it out" until the B8 A4 arrives and ignore 8P A3 owners entirely (the B8 A4 will have the MMI system which does support TMC in the UK).

IMHO the best chance of stopping Audi UK taking that approach is for all us UK A3, A4/S4/RS4 owners with an RNS-E to contact (and keep contacting) Audi UK and just make it too painful and too much work NOT to make TMC work on the RNS-E in the UK.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I totally agree with PetrolDave,

I and some others have e mailed Audi UK but we must keep e mailing if we in the UK want TMC here is the link please e mail them and complain about TMC in the A3, A4/S4/RS4 cars

[email protected]

telephone number
0800 699888

the more people complain the quicker we might get this sorted

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have mailed them. I also mentioned the Audi magazine article which said this was being worked on (unless I'm much mistaken - tis at work - will check tomorrow).

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well to their credit they mailed me straight back but I'm afraid it was the usual formulaic "no news yet but we're working on it" type of response that I presume everyone else has had.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You would think Audi would do it, as they could sell dozens of DVDs with software updates to existing owners - ought to be relatively profitable.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If they could just give us some idea of when it would be then I wouldn't mind so much. Even if they said it'd be this time next year that'd be better than sitting here wondering if it will ever happen at all.

The boss has an 05-plate A5 with the RNS-E which is the old shape (got it for a song as they were trying to get rid of the old model when the new one was imminent). Am I correct in thinking he can get this upgraded to support TMC now then? Is this a paid for upgrade or should be be able to demand that the dealer sorts it out for him?

TBH I'm not sure I want him to get it done as once I've seen it working in his it'll just depress me more :(

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Vertigo1 said:
The boss has an 05-plate A5 with the RNS-E which is the old shape (got it for a song as they were trying to get rid of the old model when the new one was imminent). Am I correct in thinking he can get this upgraded to support TMC now then? Is this a paid for upgrade or should be be able to demand that the dealer sorts it out for him?
You've said A5, but also said RNS-E.

If you mean old shape A6 - then the answer is NO, because that uses the RNS-E.

If you mean new shape A6 - then the answer is YES because that uses MMI, and the dealers DO have a UK TMC update disc for the MMI system.

If you mean A4 (old shape B6 or new shape B7) - then the answer is NO because both of them use the RNS-E.

NO update disc is currently available for UK TMC on the RNS-E.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oops, typo, sorry.

I did mean A6 and it is the old shape so RNS-E.

When (if?) Audi pull their fingers out and sort TMC on the RNS-E will it be available for all models which use this unit, i.e. the old shape A6 as well as the A3 & A4? I presume they all use the same disc.

Anyone know when the next disc update is due? Have we had our lot for 2006 now? Got my new car arriving in December and wondered what the chances of it coming with a new disc were (whether or not said disc would include TMC support) or the existing 2006_1 disc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts