Audi Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got my TMC from Kufatec. A great seller btw.

Anyways, I installed it today during lunch. And I noticed now that When I have the radio in TP mode, it stops on 95.5 which is a clearchannel station. In the short time i was driving around, it didn't pick up any messages.

When I came back to my desk, a quick google search of clear channel tmc picked up this:
http://www.google.com/search?q=clear+channel+tmc&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0

So my question is, now that TMC information is being broadcast in the US, will our units be able to use this signal?

Anyone know?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
It would be really nice if there would be something like TMC in the US. Since Aisin/Navteq and Blaupunkt/Teleatlas already support TMC in Europe, it would be the next logical step to do the same in the US.

However, I see two reasons why we won't see TMC soon. One would be that Audi never officially released the RNS-D in the US. Although TeleAtlas is the provider for maps and the data might be available in the future, the US TMC is based on a subscription based service which is different from the licensed service available in Europe for quite a while. The difference is a new technology which will most likely require a software update and I doubt that Audi will develop the required software update for the US.

For the RNS-E, Navteq (who have recently teamed with XM to deliver its XM NavTraffic service) is the provider for the maps. Let's hope that they will support both, TMC and NavTraffic, if the demand is there. And hopefully Audi is not again 5 years behind and will offer some kind of traffic assistance in the near future.

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
AudiA4B6US said:
the US TMC is based on a subscription based service which is different from the licensed service available in Europe for quite a while.
TMC is also a subscription service in the UK - which is why we were several years behind the rest of Europe getting support for TMC on RNS-D - it didn't arrive until 2003 and the 2005 map CD costs GBP159.99 instead of GBP91.99 to pay the subscription fee.

And UK TMC support hasn't been officially released yet for RNS-E either - but it's due soon, maybe on the next map DVD.

·
Registered
2 Posts
subscription through garmin

It looks like anyone can purchase subscription through the garmin webpage for clearchannel service for 60 a year. ou can select "other" tmc device and type in the device id to activate service.
Has anyone tried that with a D navplus or E navplus? Would rerouting work? (since manual traffic overrides work)?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts