Audi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently lost my dash cluster directions/display (TMC). It could have happened in one of two ways:

1) removal/insertion of unit sliced a critical cable
2) jumpstarting my car fried the TMC

I have confirmed that TMC is getting 12V.
I have confirmed that can h/l wires from TMC to 26 pin are solid
Need to confirm can h/l wires are solid to cluster still.

Anyone know how to check a TMC to make sure its not dead?

VAG tells me the below, anyone have any ideas? I need to get this sorted so I can button the darn car up and just enjoy it for awhile...

John-

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 17: Instruments
Part No: 8D0 920 980 QX
Component: B5-KOMBIINSTR. VDO D12
Coding: 02262
Shop #: WSC 261313
Faults Found:
01300 - Control Module for Navigation with CD-Rom (J401) 49-10 - No Communications - Intermittent
01304 - Radio 49-10 - No Communications - Intermittent
01311 - Information Data Bus 37-00 - Faulty
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 56: Radio
Part No: 8D0 035 192 GX
Component: Radio BNO 0001
Coding: 00117
Shop #: WSC 000002
Faults Found:
01317 - Control Module in Instrument Cluster (J285) 49-00 - No Communications
00855 - Connection to CD changer 49-00 - No Communications

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Module 19 - CAN Gateway is not responding

Hi All,
COnfirmed that all of my in and out TMC wires seem correct and are not broken. CAN H/L to cluster signals as solid and CAN H/L Info to 26-pin connector signal as intact. Ground is ground and +12v is +12v. Confirmed that it actually gets 12V when ignition is lit.

So, it feels like my TMC is bad, maybe I shorted it at some point.

One thing I did notice is that VAG tells me module 19 - CAN Gateway is not responding. If the TMC was good would it respond here?

Trying to find out how to determine a dead TMC before I enter the Ebay Sweepstakes and/or spring for one from nav-plus.

Thanks all
J

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All fixed

You get an ambiguous 'trouble communicating with cluster' error on both the Nav side and the instruments side.

I bought a new TMC this week, plugged it in and its working great.

Wierd that something like a TMC can suddenly just die. Glad I am back in business now, one less issue on this old car.

J

ted brefflon said:
Shouldn't your nav+ unit give a message if the TMC goes down? Same as if it weren't fitted?

·
Registered
7 Posts
This may be a daft reply and I may not have understood your problem correctly but -
I had a similar problem where my DIS just stopped working, then I relasised I accidentally turned it off with the bottom button on the wiper stick. Sometimes we don't see the wood for the trees!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My TMC was bad. I would get all my normal DIS stuff but the directions and Audi-Nav would not come up (for example I ran out of wiper fluid and that error message came up fine).

I just swapped the new TMC in and everything was back to normal. Quite nice.

John-

ambrown said:
This may be a daft reply and I may not have understood your problem correctly but -
I had a similar problem where my DIS just stopped working, then I relasised I accidentally turned it off with the bottom button on the wiper stick. Sometimes we don't see the wood for the trees!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.