Audi Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so Blacburn Audi fitted my TMC upgrade FOC on 26th Jan, everything's great now?!! Not exactly....

Got in the car and started up, the TMC icon was solid - success. Drove half a mile away from the Dealer and it crossed itself out again, then a couple of miles and it came back.

Basically that was the story for the first 6 days. Checking the Info Screen told me that No Traffic Reports were available - all the time, even after setting the Timers for before my one hour journey down the M6 and back to work.

Then I went somewhere different Wed lunchtime, and the Info Screen was filled with Incidents - just what I expected. But the joy was shortlived, come home time I had no Info again.

So I need to know some more about this, to understand whether this is normal. The Provider option shows Classic as an option when the TMC is solid, so I thought maybe I can't get Classic FM here - Weds, Thurs, Fri and today listening to it on the Radio proved I can receive it - at least to listen to.

TrafficMaster http://www.trafficmaster.co.uk/page.cfm?key=RDS_TMC talks of using 88 transmitters across the UK, but I'm not sure if I can find out where they are?!

Anybody know anymore about how the TMC signal is transmitted and picked up, so that I can decide whether it is just "Where I Live" or a problem?

Given that TrafficMaster claim;
Extensive coverage
The Trafficmaster real-time traffic network monitors all mainland UK motorways and 95% of trunk roads. This data is supplemented with information gathered form other sources such as the Police and The Highway’s Agency. Trafficmaster also works with Transport for London in a sole partnership that means it can also offer comprehensive traffic flow data across the capital.

I would have thought that a journey from J23 to J31 of the M6 and return for four days would have brought some Traffic Info? Or is it a case of they monitor all mainland UK motorways - but you can't receive the information on all of them?!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi....

It does seem a little strange how your TMC Icon comes on and goes off, mine always comes on after a few seconds of turning the unit on....

Regarding TMC messages it can sometimes take a while to come through on the rns-e, sometimes i get them within a few minutes but other times maybe take up to 10 mins , I have always recieved messages every day i have used the system so again it is strange how you arnt getting none at all...

I would try setting your selected radio station for TMC to Auto and not classic fm to see if that sorts the problem out.

If that fails go back to dealer .......

·
Registered
159 Posts
Incidentally, the timers you mention have nothing to do with TMC whatsoever, they're purely for recording the TP traffic messages broadcast on FM stations.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
By not leaving the TMC preferred station set to Auto you are relying on the coverage of your chosen station (Classic FM in your case).

In the same way that you can get a good TV picture but no teletext, it's possible to get a good FM radio signal but poor RDS and no TMC. (TMC is transmitted just like RDS as a data subcarrier).

It's far more reliable to leave it set to Auto - OK it may take longer to acquire the TMC data in the first place, but it's far more likely to acquire the TMC data.

My advice would be to stick with Auto.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the Source set to Auto, I had checked what was available purely to try and understand what was going on.

Then when I saw Classic I started listening to it, to see what the reception was like - fine!

·
Registered
65 Posts
i live in the same area - blackburn/preston and get the same problem - TMC icon is on/off every few minutes and havnt managed to receive any messages yet in this area.

i presume its due to lack of data or signal strength...

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
GeoffW said:
Then when I saw Classic I started listening to it, to see what the reception was like - fine!
As said previously the quality of the received audio is not an indication of the ability to accurately decode TMC data.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So on the assumption that moving to get better coverage is not an option, I better bend Audi's ear so that they bend TrafficMaster's ear to provide better coverage for the money that Audi are paying on my behalf.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TMC Coverage - North West UK

Anybody else live (or travel) in the North West of the UK, specifically North of Manchester.

I have been trying to gather information about the lack of reception from Audi and TrafficMaster and it is hard going!!

If anybody else is suffering problems then more voices and emails may help.

So far all I have gleaned from Audi is that my unit is correctly connected (was OEM so it should have been), and from TrafficMaster that they transmit in this area on Galaxy FM.

Ironically the most helpful people to date have been one of TrafficMaster's competitors, who lent my a B*W for a week and hence demonstrated that receiving TMC in my area is possible.

Here's hoping....

Geoff

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi Geoff,
I live in the Bury/Rochdale area, so I might be able to help. I have my TMC set to "Auto".
I work in Manchester city centre, and it usually takes about 10 minutes to get any TMC info in the morning, and by that time I've reached Middleton.

I did have a problem on friday when I went through to Lancaster though. I went up the M66, and then through Haslingdon to the M65, and then got stuck on the M61/M6. I had the nav directing me, and there was no indication on the map of the congestion. I pressed the "Info" button, and it said that there were no reports. I'm convinced that TMC wasn't working. I haven't tried it since then, but I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's great. Exactly the issue and area I'm suffering with...

I live in Clitheroe and work near Haydock Park. I either travel A59 to M6 J31 and then down to J23 or A56, M66 and then out along the A580.

I'm led to believe that the Galaxy FM transmitter is in Central Manchester, and I don't think I get close enough to pick them up, which ties up with your journey to work and your findings on the way to Lancaster.

Thanks - the more people I can get to email trafficmaster the better :D

Geoff

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Re: TMC Coverage - North West UK

GeoffW said:
Ironically the most helpful people to date have been one of TrafficMaster's competitors, who lent my a B*W for a week and hence demonstrated that receiving TMC in my area is possible.
TrafficMaster's ONLY competitor as a provider of TMC data is ITIS. Their TMC data is carried ONLY by Classic FM.

So you weren't comparing apples with apples between a BMW (ITIS) and an Audi (TrafficMaster). All you've done is prove that coverage of Classic FM in the area is better than the stations that carry TrafficMaster TMC.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: TMC Coverage - North West UK

PetrolDave said:
GeoffW said:
TrafficMaster's ONLY competitor as a provider of TMC data is ITIS. Their TMC data is carried ONLY by Classic FM.

So you weren't comparing apples with apples between a BMW (ITIS) and an Audi (TrafficMaster). All you've done is prove that coverage of Classic FM in the area is better than the stations that carry TrafficMaster TMC.
Correct. I appreciate that I cannot use ITIS in my Audi, and that there will be areas where TrafficMaster reception is better than ITIS's.

I was however comparing the Customer Service of ITIS and TrafficMaster. And so far that is comparing Black with White.

In two months TrafficMaster have told me that Galaxy FM is my local transmitter, and said that they are planning some reception tests sometime in the future and they will try and include my area.
In one month ITIS replied, offered to and lent me a car for a week, and responded to each issue I discovered with the information they displayed.

At the end of the day, the only way I can get the sort of reception the rest of you guys seem to be getting is to get TrafficMaster to do something. Any help in influencing TrafficMaster and Audi would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Response from Audi

I finally got a response from Audi on 25th May to this issue;

Certain northern parts of the M6 have reduced coverage - these tally directly with areas with little or no population and very low traffic incidents.

The Preston area is covered by Century FM, recently sold from one media group to another. The new group had no agreement in place with Trafficmaster, which is currently being signed. The transmission of TMC information in this area should resume very shortly.
I'm looking forward to confirming that this resolves the problem :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi,

Just been reading this thread and found it quite interesting, as I had an issue on the M4 tonight, it didn't tell me that there was traffic until I was stuck in it and then it told me to get off at the next junction. Mind you, I was only 5 minutes into my journey at this time, it's handy to know that the messages only come in after a few to ten mins after switching on.

So far I've only heard these messages when I have a route planned. Do you still get the messages if you are on that road and have no route planned?

Shame they can list all the speed camera using TMC too.

Rich

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Action from TrafficMaster

Finally had a response from TrafficMaster via Audi....

For immediate release

20 July 2007

Trafficmaster boosts RDS-TMC coverage with EMAP Radio

Trafficmaster has boosted its RDS-TMC traffic information coverage across the Midlands and Northern England, through a new deal with the EMAP radio network. This latest contract will see Trafficmaster's information carried in the FM signal of nine EMAP radio stations, covering major cities such as Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle and Birmingham. RDS-TMC traffic information is broadcast over the FM radio network and is received by suitably enabled portable and factory fit in-car navigation systems, to identify traffic problems on or near a chosen route. Trafficmaster's 7,500 roadside sensors monitor traffic flow and generate alerts when speeds fall below 30mph on motorways or A-roads. This unique network generates 7 million records per day, which are processed by Trafficmaster to create the company's RDS-TMC traffic broadcasts. Trafficmaster's Chief Executive, Tony Eales, said: "We believe our traffic information is second to none and this arrangement will make it available to even more customers. It is another significant step in the ongoing development of our RDS-TMC service."

Editor's Note: The specific radio stations and areas are:

96.3 (Leeds: Radio Aire)
96.6 (Stockton on Tees: TFM)
96.7 ( Liverpool: Radio City)
96.9 (Hull: Viking FM)
97.1-103.2 ( Newcastle: Metro Radio)
97.4-103.4FM ( Sheffield: Hallam FM)
97.4 (Preston: Rock FM)
103 (Manchester: Key103)
105.2 (Midlands: Kerrang FM)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts