Audi Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My RNS-E installed in my 00 A6 is having trouble becuase there are too many wires and connectors so its a really tight fit, Ive tried tucking them out of the way next to the climate controls but it still seems to tight for comfort. Just wanted to know what others did, thanks guys and Happy New Years!
Brian

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Yep, they are a very tight fit, are the cables taped together? If so, seperate them and you might stand more of a chance.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi, Yes, apparently the A6 is particularly difficult. If you have an adapter with all the vehicle connectors moulded as one unit you will have a lot of trouble. I would suggest that if this is the case you change it for one with seperate vehicle connectors. Even then, it is not always easy. If you read TeddyBGame's excellent notes (download off NSX JR's equally wonderful web site!) you'll find that what Ted did was to remove some of the connectors. I used this sound advice for the telephone audio and mute wires, and I have not had any problems with a number of re-insertions. Also, there is a sort of 'slot' in the bottom of the dash housing into which you can tuck the rather bulky connectors. I believe Ted also has used plug and play adapters with longer connecting wires, and has found this very helpful. The last half inch of travel when inserting the nav unit does require a reasonably firm push - make sure you apply no pressure to the screen - you do not want to crack it - a thumb and first finger on the corners at each side of the RNS-E faceplate works well for me. Rest assured, it will go in. You just need to visualise how the connectors ar bunching up behind and try to persuade them to either lay upright behind the unit, or to tuck down under. It can be done! Happy New Year, and enjoy your Nav unit.

Bob

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I actually rewired my RS6 and another one for quadlock from the old connectors, that made inserting the RNS-E very easy, but that took around 3 hours to rewire the ISO's to the QUAD lock. Kufatec sell a quadlock plug and connectors to do this.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hey Craig, congratulations! I bet it looks really neat. My hands are too big and shake too much for that :) though, and it must have been a heck of a fiddle - it's a very tight working spot. Way to go if you can do it, of course. Bob

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
It wasn't too hard until you try and do the CD changer & audio connections, they are very fiddly and tight.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Yes Brian, the C5 is much tighter than the B5, B6 or B7.

I have been buidling a few custom RNSE harnesses with wiring length at 10-12" so that you can tuck the male connectors behind the climate control module and it fits quite nicely.

Here is what I built for a 2002 allroad with OEM Bluetooth harness etc.

http://www.navplus.us/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=641[img][/img]

Anything to simplify the installation....is the name of the game.

:)

·
Registered
996 Posts
craigyb said:
I actually rewired my RS6 and another one for quadlock from the old connectors, that made inserting the RNS-E very easy, but that took around 3 hours to rewire the ISO's to the QUAD lock. Kufatec sell a quadlock plug and connectors to do this.
Cool stuff.

I considered doing that but the pins/wires in the B/C connector are not the mini-iso variety...so I would have meant cutting into the factory wiring harness. Not something that I wanted to do if I ever traded in my car and had to reinsert the factory Symphony headunit.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For anyone else that is doing an RNS-E in a C5 A6 if you remove connector II and just hookup the 4 speaker wires as pins directly the whole unit slid in like a charm, easy as pie or ........ easy as installing the symphony I LOL.
Thanks guys

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have exactly the same problem...
I had a RNS-D with TV, CD changer, Bos system and a OEM Audi phone, so the biggest amount of cable you can imagine...

Now with the RNS-E, I had the one piece connector for II & III that I cut to remove the II. I also removed the IV.

BUT with the cable for the tuner + the 5 wires (and the old connector of the tuner) and all the rest, IT WILL NEVER FIT....

2 solutions: I use a hamer or
I remove everything and add 10" of wire to every pin to locate all the connectors behind the climate control and only then push the unit in position. I'm a desperate househusband !!!!!

It took me 2 month to custom (and rewire) my cheap harness and fix everything (I'm not working 24 h a day on it !!) and now so close from the goal, I have to use my welding unit again.... Damned !!

Last hope: no way to access the rear of the unit by removing the glove box?

This forum should have been the first one that I should read !!

By the way I would like to take the opportunity to thank very much Lee, Teddy and Dirk for their fast, reliable an friendly help.

Thank you guy, may the force be with you (and with me !!)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi girl (Helen the only one on this forum) and gent's

Yes !! I did it !!

After adding 10 " of wire to the 30 cables of my harness, I succeed in installing my unit. You cannot imagine my happiness when I heard the 4 "clics" meaning that the unit was in place...

Last step: to connect a dvd player somewhere in the car.

Philippe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts