Audi Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry for the cut/paste from my other posts:

\:D/ Updated on October 12, 2005

I have the ME3 in my 2001 A6. For $150....you get what you pay for. It's a good unit.

For $150....you get what you pay for. It's a good unit. It has a TV tuner...can play DVD's and CD's....and CD-R/DVD-R. I have yet to burn any MP3's onto a DVD-R to see if the ME3 plays them.
I have burned MP3 files onto a CD-R and it can play them in a folder or file view (like Window's Explorer). Although...it's a little quirky at times...when you pop in a CD-R...and it can freeze up (common for these types of players).

When you play an audio CD...you are stuck with this big blaupunkt logo on the screen and you need to use the remote to change/advance tracks.

The TV tuner is fairly weak so I've added an amplified antenna (see my pix) to boost the signal. FYI - The antenna that they give you is not amplified. TV is cool though...as I find myself tuning to the news and watch sports/news reports on the way home. Mostly, I'll put my Nav+ into map mode and listen to the audio from the news channel.

The IR eye is cool....and looks very OEM (see pix). Installation is easy.

I recently added a PhatBox...so I no longer play MP3's via the ME3

I have a nexxtel and Blaupunkt ME3 in my 2001 A6...and I like the ME3 for it's DVD playing capability...but the MP3 (played off CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW) is a bit quirky. I don't really like the On Screen Display (OSD) of the ME3 while palying MP3's.

Like/Dislikes:
- The TV Tuner is a joke...but I really don't care about the TV portion.
- The remote and IR sensor is very cool..and handy.
- Sometimes...it takes a few "reloads" of the MP3-burned CD to read in the ME3
- Sound quality is very good
- The unit was big.....and was hard to mount in the glovebox of my 2001 A6
- I wish it would power-up everytime I turned on the ignition...oh well.
- Offers two additional Audio/Video inputs (front/back)...which is very cool...if I wanted to add an iPOD ...or plug in my Camcorder...etc. I've been told that it won't take an audio input (red/white RCA) unless it has a video source too. Which sucks. Haven't tried it yet.
- Cost: The ME3 can be purchased online for about $170....not too shabby!!
- Dislike: I wouldn't keep your CD or DVD in the unit for a long time. Once you are done playing it, I highly recommend removing the disk. I kept a CD-R in there for 2 months and ejected it and found that the disc was all scratched up. I'm not sure if this as to do with the mount angle (horizontal) of my ME3 or not. I'll have to try a new disk and see if it happens again.

Thanks to “Igor†from Chicago for posting these pictures of his ME3 in his 2002 A4 (with Nav+)
Here is the Blaupunkt DVD/CD/MP3/TV Tuner for $170. The MP3 screen is very cool. Notice the screen shot of the MP3s and the folders etc. 150+ songs on one disk…not too shabby!! FYI - here's what the Nav+ is capable of…when you add a $170 Blaupunkt DVD/MP3/CD/TV Tuner as an input into the Nav+.
Here it is installed in a B6 A4.
http://pictures.fedulov.com/audinavi

See also, my post on the vwnavi forum:
http://www.vwnavi.com/vwnavi/forums/showthread.php?t=1431

See my pix below for install...and amplified antenna (not installed yet).
http://www.vwnavi.com/vwnavi/photos/albums/userpics/Slide49.JPG

Hope this was useful.
-ted

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also worth noting....www.midwestelectronics.com is the only authorized Blaupunkt repair center in North America. I've spoke to their customer service department a few times...and they've said that they can fix a Blaupunkt unit in under 3 days...and ship it back to you. Pretty cool.

FYI - They will not fix defective/broken Nav+ unit. For that ....you are on your own. Most US dealers won't list the Nav+ part numbers in their database.

·
Registered
515 Posts
http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=550

well, the answer was right here all along.. after reading all i could find, somehow i miss that very important line..

- Offers two additional Audio/Video inputs (front/back)...which is very cool...if I wanted to add an iPOD ...or plug in my Camcorder...etc. I've been told that it won't take an audio input (red/white RCA) unless it has a video source too. Which sucks. Haven't tried it yet.
well i can confirm both front and rear AV inputs mute the audio when there is no video.. i plugged the video of my pac-man game in and i was jamming, but the game had to actually be on -- just plugging it in was not enough..

i need to check the 1417, but i think it will work fine..

·
Registered
515 Posts
duplicate post to complete thoughts with in a single thread..

i was hoping to use the AUX input on the ME3 DVD player to pipe in my iPod..
but I found the audio is muted unless there is a video input..
it could be a function of the ME3 DVD player; the Dietz 1417; or the RNS-E itself.. i havent had a chance to trouble shoot yet..
i have verified the muting is soley a function of the ME3 DVD player.. i was hoping for a menu / setup way around this, but i havent found it yet..

after talking to a friend about his set up i decided to try just "Y"ing the DVD player and an aux-A/V jack into the 1417.. well it works!!..

obviously you can only use one at a time, but there is a trick.. the ME3 has 12v ign and 12v constant - in this case both need to be switched.. even if the power is off - if the 12v constant is still connected the video from the aux will be corrupted.. fortunately that is how i had mine wired anyway..

so i am very happy to say that my Dietz 1417/1280; Blaupunkt ME3 DVD player; and AUX-input (audio only compatible) works exactly the way i wanted it to (though, not exactly connected the way i planned)..

hope this helps..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts