Audi Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Realize most here would prefer to go with the OEM unit, but I can't justify the cost given my modest use of a cell phone. Search results suggest that the Parrot is an easily installed item, but I haven't seen much in the way of detailed install instructions and a source for a plug & play harness to mate the unit to the RNS-E. Anyone done this and documented the install? I found an old thread about a guy who makes custom harnesses, and that thread suggested he had purchased such a harness from the guy's website, but I don't see anything available on his site for anything over the 2001 model year. I'm in a B6 S4 FWIW. Thanks in advance. At about $100, I'm really considering this kit.

http://www.parrot.biz/usa/products/index.php?id=evolution

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
You get what you pay for. I have heard three different parrot kits in three different cars. Be prepared for bad sound quality. IMHO I would rather have no BT kit than talk on a Parrot kit.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's interesting. the few install write-ups i've been able to surface seemed to be positive. guess i'll have to do some more research.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I disagree - parrott sounds good

Ive had two parrot kits in two separate cars - a CK3100 and an evolution. Both sound great inside the car and out.

I have a Motorola HF1000 kit in my allroad. Wiring harness courtesy of TeddyBgame in Boston. Sound is OK and microphone is not so good. I would be tempted to put the CK3100 in the audi as the mic can be adjusted for sensitivity.

Voice rec. for the motorola kit is great - its just that people cant hear me very well. Could be wiring but then why does the voice rec work so well?

·
Registered
345 Posts
ive had the parrott ck3100 and now have the OEM Audi BT kit and the OEM Audi BT is in a differant league its far better quality than the parrott.
but at the end of the day you do get what you pay for.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the responses folks. no plans on dropping $700 plus on the OEM unit and not willing to dish out the dough if the parrot is regarded as being crappy. i'll wait and see if i can find someone with one installed to check it out myself before purchasing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
sfoperator said:
Realize most here would prefer to go with the OEM unit, but I can't justify the cost given my modest use of a cell phone. Search results suggest that the Parrot is an easily installed item, but I haven't seen much in the way of detailed install instructions and a source for a plug & play harness to mate the unit to the RNS-E. Anyone done this and documented the install? I found an old thread about a guy who makes custom harnesses, and that thread suggested he had purchased such a harness from the guy's website, but I don't see anything available on his site for anything over the 2001 model year. I'm in a B6 S4 FWIW. Thanks in advance. At about $100, I'm really considering this kit.

http://www.parrot.biz/usa/products/index.php?id=evolution
I have RNS-E and Parrot Evo and I'm satisfied. Sound quality is not the best but hey, it works.. I can hear the other part good and he/she can hear me.. For that amount of money, I'm satisfied :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the Parrot CK3000 Evolution

I was in the exact same boat as you: had a hard time justifying the OEM kit, but some particulars about my situation made the OEM kit less attractive than it otherwise might be:

- My car has no MFSW, so I'd need to fiddle with the RNS-E to make a call
- I have a Palm Treo 700w, and this phone does not seem to transfer contacts via BT to the RNS-E

I am extremely satisfied with the Parrot. I have heard no complaints about call quality, the controls are very inconspicous (I mounted the knob down by the shift lever, and it "just works" which is a refreshing change of pace from many technologies...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
good to know guys. i'm in the same boat in that I don't have the MFSW in my S4. At almost $1k, and given the few calls I get or make from my cell phone, the OEM kit just isn't an option for me at this time - though the nice integration certainly makes it tempting. For a little over $100, I may just give the parrot a try...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts