Audi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had a custom wiring harness made what special things would you have included on it?

1) Pig tail of CAN L/H for easy connection of any add-on CAN devices.

2) A ground wire looped over for CD Changer/Phatbox pin out.

3) 12" of wire for Power lead for BT Telephone module.

4) This is not really a special connection but it does require attention. Make sure that AMP turn on is connected to D13.

Since we don't need a Deitz 1280 for VIM you won't need any kind of special wiring for that any longer. Is there maybe something that you would add to this list?

I don't have the new multimedia interface yet but I will eventually get one so is there something maybe I could have done to make it easier for that install or anything else that you can think of? I am asking this because I like things to be perfect and if I don't have to cut or tap into any wires then that would be a nice clean setup.

·
Registered
996 Posts
yeah, these are all things that I incorporate in the custom harnesses that I build for my customers. Each customers' needs are different than the others and it changes depending on the model/year Audi that you have.

Some other things to consider:
1) Line-out RCA's for adding aftermarket amps (yup, I do that too)
2) prewiring for adding the ADR V1 interface
3) prewiring for Bjarne's CANGATE device

etc..etc....

No harness is created equal.....hence the need to customize. :)

See thread for what I've built for others.
http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1880

·
Registered
249 Posts
this is the ultimate wiring harness...

and big thanks to Ted aka TeddyBGame for customizing it for me... :wink:

·
Registered
996 Posts
Avantéix said:
this is the ultimate wiring harness...

and big thanks to Ted aka TeddyBGame for customizing it for me... :wink:
Thanks Stefan.....glad you like it. :)

Also, I think Lanny (Euro-parts.us) should offer RNSE harnesses that have 12-14" of wire length. In my experience with the C5's, the extra length is nice to tuck the factory wiring behind the climate control unit and give the back of the RNSE adequate ventilation for the fan. I think the B6/B7 crowd could also benefit.

I've built a few like this for customers...but it require a lot of crimping of pins on my part.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could someone post some info for Bjarne's CANGATE device?

It would be nice to know what all it does and if other people would really need or find it useful. I do believe it was made to aid in the older instrument cluster time difference, but will other models find it useful?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
There is a whole thread about the CANGate on this website. It will soon be offered for sale thorugh my website as well. It was originally designed to solve the clock problem for pre-02 cars, but another nice touch is power retention with the switch off until key removal.

·
Registered
517 Posts
todd1010 said:
Could someone post some info for Bjarne's CANGATE device?

It would be nice to know what all it does and if other people would really need or find it useful. I do believe it was made to aid in the older instrument cluster time difference, but will other models find it useful?
There is probably very little of interest for your car at this time, as you don't have the clock problem, and you have MFSW. The only thing is keeping the nav on until the key is removed. Here is a link to a description, I posted a while back.

http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3327

·
Registered
46 Posts
All B6 and B7 models delivered in Australia have the setting that the nav/radio stays on until the key is removed - this is standard as delivered.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
lt8x7 said:
All B6 and B7 models delivered in Australia have the setting that the nav/radio stays on until the key is removed - this is standard as delivered.
This is part of the Euro software, unfortuantely they thought we don't need that in the US...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts