Audi Forum banner

41 - 60 of 255 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
This adaptation channel 19 is not available on my cluster. I also spent a few hours last night changing some "not advertised" adaptation channels on the RNS unit, and I got nothing to change the clock source.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Off topic just a little, how are there still channels which we don't have information on? Obviously there must be some sort of manual out there with descriptions of all of them for the service techs, right? Why would Audi put them there but them not tell anyone what they are for. Somewhere out there someone must have that info. Maybe I'll drop by my dealership and ask the techs (they are pretty cool there).

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
:!: :!: :!: New Info :!: :!: :!:

Asked around a little and learned that, according to the wiring diagram, Pin #12 on the grey gauge-cluster wiring-harness is labelled "clock". Could it be as easy as just snipping that wire?

·
Registered
737 Posts
So if this were the case as just snipping the wire. We won't get anything displayed in that area of the cluster, correct?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
todd1010 said:
Unfortunately, I won't be near my car until early tomorrow afternoon. I'll try it then. If anyone else tries it before then, please post your results. Hell, if it doesn't do anything we can always just reconnect it :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
todd1010 said:
So if this were the case as just snipping the wire. We won't get anything displayed in that area of the cluster, correct?
I would assume that we would still have the display, the data just wouldn't be transmitted out of the cluster.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
b5retrofit said:

Asked around a little and learned that, according to the wiring diagram, Pin #12 on the grey gauge-cluster wiring-harness is labelled "clock". Could it be as easy as just snipping that wire?
No, the clock wire is an older data wire that was part of the communications between your old symphony radio, the cluster, and the older style telephone transceiver. This is similar to the "Data clock" wire that communicates between the headunit and the cd changer.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
NSX JR said:
b5retrofit said:

No, the clock wire is an older data wire that was part of the communications between your old symphony radio, the cluster, and the older style telephone transceiver. This is similar to the "Data clock" wire that communicates between the headunit and the cd changer.
Not sure I'm following your logic here... if it is a data wire between the cluster and the headunit... wouldn't that be a good thing???

Regardless, Roberto replied to me and we are in the midst of exchanging information on our setups. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this problem very soon.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah, I'm still alive

OK...sorry guys I took a snooze there for a minute come back and your all going full force!

OK, here is what I know:

I have a 2001 (B5) S4 Avant with Bose, factory rear CDC, and original radio was a Symphony 1. My clock works fine, however my rear Bose CDC and red DIS do nothing, reguardless of what I VAG code them at.

First let me say that I think it may be more than VAG'coding the unit to fix the clock problem? It may be the firmware for the NAV itself? I bought mine from SteveZ1, and he converted it to the USA firmware for me.

My settings:

Instrument cluster (STG 17) Adaptation-> Function 10....I've tried 5, 21, 22, and 29. No luck no display info, and seems to have no effect on the clock.

NAV coding (37) CH 62 right now I'm running 0309117. I have tried ending that code in 3 as well and it changes nothing. I have also run 0509313 (A6 rather than A4) and that was the original code when I installed it.

Theory time (again):

Frankly I have no idea why it uses or is set to "use SAT for time", all I know is it works and its not a setting I chose. This may be relevant...I did NOT tap into the CANBUS....I used the adaptor made for the car by Lanny @Euro-parts and the Symphony 1 does recieve CAN HI/LO already. Its possible that if folks are tapping into the wires in ADDITION to that, the radio may try to use that signal first...if its not there...it may default to the SAT for time setting? One theory.

Here are the error codes I get:

00857 CD Changer Unit (R41) 004 No Signal
01305 Data Bus for Infotainment 004 No Signal

These obviously are issues that are related...but I'v no idea where to go from there. Lanny and I have gone over teh harness, and it seems that its right...any creative inout apreciated.

Finally theory: I need to ground the rear CDC to get it to work. My red DIS wont work because I've not tapped into the CANBUS (by splicing), however, by not doing that my clock works right by forcing the NAV to use the SAT setting for time?

Anyone?
:roll:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Re: Yeah, I'm still alive

Roberto, from the IM you sent me, you obviously just don't have any CAN signals at all going to your RNS-E. If the unit doesn't power on/off with the car and the lights don't illuminate with the dash (like you IM'ed me), then that is 100% certainly the problem. Not all S4's have the CAN wires at the Symphony unit, 2001.5 and 2002 models must splice into the CAN signals somewhere else (usually the gauge cluster). That is what it is, hands down.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Re: Yeah, I'm still alive

b5retrofit said:
Roberto, from the IM you sent me, you obviously just don't have any CAN signals at all going to your RNS-E. If the unit doesn't power on/off with the car and the lights don't illuminate with the dash (like you IM'ed me), then that is 100% certainly the problem. Not all S4's have the CAN wires at the Symphony unit, 2001.5 and 2002 models must splice into the CAN signals somewhere else (usually the gauge cluster). That is what it is, hands down.
Agreed based on my experience too.

Steve

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I think it's obvious that Roberto's clock is set to GPS because his RNS is not on the infotainment CAN bus. The can wires that were already in his radio plug were for the older "Navigation" bus which does not connect to the cluster.

To address the "clock" wire coming from the cluster, again... this is a data wire. Because it is called "clock" does not mean the data is the time and date. It is part of a 3 wire network bus that carries information about things like radio and CD track information to the cluster for DIS use and information from the older telephone boxes to the cluster as well. All you have to do is look at the CD changer data wires for an example of the 3 wire network... Data in, Data out, and Data clock.

It seems to me like the solution is still to have someone create a black box to filter out the clock signals over CANbus from the cluster to the RNS.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
NSX JR said:
It seems to me like the solution is still to have someone create a black box to filter out the clock signals over CANbus from the cluster to the RNS.
How would you say we should go about doing this?

Another option I thought of the other night would be to actually open up the cluster and physically disconnect the clock from the CAN. I would expect that the cluster clock display would still function as it is a function of the cluster, not the CAN, but that the data would then not be transmitted over the CAN. I can't think of any reason to have the time/date data over the CAN other than for the nav unit, so eliminating it would not have any negetive consequences I can think of.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I think what you're talking about is built into the microprocessors in the cluster and your digital display of the time and date is just a visual form of the clock data stored in these microprocessors. Somehow, I don't think it will be as easy and clipping two wires from the "clock" to the "CANbus" inside there.

What I suggest is to get someone like Dietz who already knows the CANbus network language to build a simple box that you would install inline between your cluster and the RNS on the CAN H and CAN L wires. The simple box would take the incoming clock information from the cluster and block it from the exiting CAN data to the RNS unit. This is similar to the way that they filter out the speed signal over CANbus lines in their 1280 device so that you can watch video while driving.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Can we get someone who know what they are talking about and contact them! I don't know their turn around time but they could probably whip something up pretty quick by the sound of it.

Who would like to nominate themselve for "chief project manager?"

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
todd1010 said:
Can we get someone who know what they are talking about and contact them! I don't know their turn around time but they could probably whip something up pretty quick by the sound of it.

Who would like to nominate themselve for "chief project manager?"
Ive already contacted Dietz, but so far no reply.

Craig

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Please keep us posted. If they can offer something, I would certainly be interested in buying it.

I'v also contacted Ross-Tech (the makers of the VAG COM cables and software), and will post any findings they have for me.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
This just keeps getting stranger and stranger...

Just came inside from checking out the Engineering mode time info. Here is what I found:

The Gauge Cluster Read - 7:04pm (correct)
The GPS Info in the Engineering Mode Screen Read - 00:04 GMT (correct)
The Instrument Cluster in the Engineering Mode Screen Read - 19:04 (correct)

However, when I exitted back out of the Engineering Mode Screen, the RNS-E displayed 1:04pm (6 hours slow).

So, according to the Engineering Mode screen, the correct time is being transmitted by the GPS satellite AND the cluster. Very strange.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Seems strange that Audi would include the option of time by GPS Satellites as a choice, but have no way to select it. Doesn't it? I mean, since it is actually a programmed option in the software (i.e., it will say "Time Source: GPS Satellite" on the screen if the instrument cluster time is not available), why go to the trouble of programming it if there is no way to use it. Its not like Audi would have programmed it just in case someone decided to drive around with a defective cluster installed, or the CAN system failed, in those cases they would just want you to bring your car to a dealer. There must be some reason Audi programmed that in the RNS-E software, right? If that is the case, I would think there must be some way to program it to allow the switch. Maybe one of the RNS-E compatible models doesn't have the time over CAN? I don't know, the more I think about it, the more convinced I become that there must be some way to switch this.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Its been a while since I wrote on the sight but thought I could at least give a little input about this clock issue (which actually prevented me from putting in the RNS-E thus far being a perfectionist). Back in the day, I ran into this issue in my research and talked to the guys over at Dietz . . . they couldn't help. They had no idea what i was even talking about. It took over a month to get a reply. I tried to explain to them I needed a CAN emulator for the clock which theoretically already exists . . . check out the after market stereo installation parts they have. the only differece is they block speed, and light signals but convert the digital ignition signal to analog. If you don't get any help from Dietz maybe ordering the after market emulator and converting it. Whoever does decide to talk to them might want to be fluent in German . . . they emailed me back in broken English.

B5retrofit,
Would you be able to post your success story with pictures similar to the old days of TVWIZ.net? You have become the expert much like Dan was and it would greatly help all of us still trying to piece together the maze which navplus.us has turned into. Lastly has anyone found someone to make the "perfect faceplate" for our B5 S4's?

41 - 60 of 255 Posts