Audi Forum banner

221 - 240 of 255 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
You should not have any problems in a 2007 A3, and you should not need CANGate.

If the display in the cluster and on the RNSE match, and the ETA when navigating is correct, then I would not worry about what you see in engineering mode. I believe everybody has a bad cluster clock in engineering mode, when everything else works correctly :D

·
Registered
264 Posts
For my retro fitted RNS-E in my A6

Sorry I wasn't clear. It is for the retro fitted RNS-E our A6 that I will get the CANGate.

I was just trying to explain that the displayed Instrument clock in engineering mode, on the factory fitted RNS-E in our A3, was showing strange values.
Exactly the same strange displayed Instrument clock values in engineering mode, after fitting a CANGate, in a retro fitted RNS-E for a pre-2002 A6.

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
Re: For my retro fitted RNS-E in my A6

NikolasZ said:
I was just trying to explain that the displayed Instrument clock in engineering mode, on the factory fitted RNS-E in our A3, was showing strange values.
Exactly the same strange displayed Instrument clock values in engineering mode, after fitting a CANGate, in a retro fitted RNS-E for a pre-2002 A6.
Engineering Mode does not correctly decode the time from the instrument cluster. This was reported well over a year ago. Since only Engineering Mode is affected I don't expect Audi to fix it - ever!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Actually it does

Actually the clock in engineering mode DOES decode the time from the instrument cluster correctly. As long as you have a pre 2002 A6, the time in the instrument clock and the time shown for instrument clock in engineering mode in the RNS-E, is the same. But in order for the time shown in NORMAL mode is to be shown correctly, instrument clusters from A6 2002- sends "faulty" time signals from the instrument cluster. The same "faulty" signals that Bjarne found out and inserted in his CANGate.

The fault is actually inside the RNS-E. It should translate the time in engineering mode "as is" to the normal mode time-display. But it doesn't for some reason. It has some kind of octet- or dec-handling. Therefore the CAN-time from the instrument cluster has to be "erratic/scrambled" and not "straight".

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
Re: Actually it does

NikolasZ said:
Actually the clock in engineering mode DOES decode the time from the instrument cluster correctly.
Not true - at least on all the B6 & B7 A4's I've worked on. The Engineering Mode clock display on the RNS-E of the cluster (combi) time is WRONG - no ifs, no buts, no maybes.

·
Registered
517 Posts

PetrolDave said:
NikolasZ said:
Actually the clock in engineering mode DOES decode the time from the instrument cluster correctly.
Not true - at least on all the B6 & B7 A4's I've worked on. The Engineering Mode clock display on the RNS-E of the cluster (combi) time is WRONG - no ifs, no buts, no maybes.
I agree with Dave, or stated slightly differently:

If the clock on the RNSE (display) is correct, then the engineering mode cluster time is wrong.
If the clock on the RNSE (display) is wrong, then the engineering mode cluster time is correct.

This has ALWAYS been the case in every car I have seen.

·
Registered
264 Posts

I too agree with Dave. What I am trying to say is, that the erroneous time in engineering mode, is because the combi instrument SENDS "faulty" time code in CAN, in order for the RNS-E to do the "wrong" translation and show the time correctly in normal mode.

The only thing that is really wrong, is the translation from Engineering mode time to Normal mode time inside the RNS-E. If that translation wouldn't have been wrong, then we wouldn't have the problem in our pre-2002 A6 and Audi wouldn't have engineered the CAN-time in 2002- A6 (and all other post-2002 Audis that could be ordered with RNS-E) with the strange behaviour.

·
Registered
517 Posts
There is really nothing "faulty" about the time format from the cluster, pre or post 2002 C5, they are just two different formats, equally valid. Audi just for some reason decided to change the format in 2002 and did not care about compatibility between pre 2002 C5 and RNSE, since they never provided that setup.

If it ocurred the way you describe, it would have been much easier to just change the firmware in the RNSE, rather than in the cluster. And I am sure they don't care much about what is displayed in enginerring mode, it is for their use anyway.

Anyway, it looks like we all agree HOW it works, so that is really all that is important.

·
Registered
9 Posts
HI i have a rs4 b5 and hace converted it to run the rnse unit how ever i still get the clck problem i have tried the codeings
and different resistors in the can wireing but have got no where does anyone have a clue yet .

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
rs4b5 said:
HI i have a rs4 b5 and hace converted it to run the rnse unit how ever i still get the clck problem i have tried the codeings
and different resistors in the can wireing but have got no where does anyone have a clue yet .
This is why the CAnGate was created - to solve the clock problem on the B5.

You need to search for "cangate" and PM bjarne.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i am wondering if this is only happens in the eu models changed over to us firmware.
and if it is then it has some thing to do with gmt setting witch the eu firmware had open setting.

cheers

·
Registered
517 Posts
If an EU unit is fully converted to US firmware, there are no known differences from a unit that was original US (other than the buttons, of course).

The clock problem has to do with the change of the data format from the cluster, which changed between B5/C5 and later models. This problem also exists in EU B5/C5 cars, and has been this way with all the EU versions I know of.

You only get the GPS clock option on the RNSE if you disconnect the CAN bus.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Today, bjarne doesn't sell CanGate anymore, I inderstand that life change, projects too 8) !

But have we another solution that find a CanGate used to solve the clock issue on A4 B5 :-k ?

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
But have we another solution that find a CanGate used to solve the clock issue on A4 B5 :-k ?
I'm afraid we don't. The CAN bus messages need modifying to solve the problem, so CANgate or another box that can be setup to have the same functionality is required.

Remember the RNS-E was never factory fitted to the B5 or C5 so the problem was never seen by Audi, so they never had a need to fix it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for your answer PetrolDave, I'm agree with you, it's just that I thought someone else in the world had perhaps done a new CanGate :)

It seems not !

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
I am actually in the process of designing a new Cangate. I also have an A6 C5 with the clock problem.
Sounds exciting! Keep us updated.

Any chance you and bjarne could get together and make sure your new device also fixed the "off with ignition instead of key out", "repeated PIN requests" issues and add the "press a key and generate the PTT CAN bus message" feature that CANGate also had - and which many of us found necessary and/or useful?

221 - 240 of 255 Posts