Audi Forum banner

201 - 220 of 255 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hey Dirk, are you keeping secrets from me :D

But you are right of course, the RNS-E follows the dimmer in our C5/B5 cars, so the message must be there. I might play with it a bit.

Bjarne

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Re: other can information

mldrs said:
How hard would it be to program your box to pull of can information such as turbo pressure?
That signal is not on the Infotainment CAN, maybe not even on the Comfort CAN.

·
Registered
11 Posts
turbo psi on can

I have not first hand experience but I know the company that devleoped the EFU is working on a Can based system that would not require the installation of sensors to get the boost PSI and that this system will be can based. What is the difference between the can systems are the conected or isolated?

I thought if you could program the custom box to read and correct the time it may be able to read and display the boost, which the ECU is constantly seeing in terms of requested and provided psi? But maybe this is a differant system.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Re: turbo psi on can

mldrs said:
I have not first hand experience but I know the company that devleoped the EFU is working on a Can based system that would not require the installation of sensors to get the boost PSI and that this system will be can based. What is the difference between the can systems are the conected or isolated?

I thought if you could program the custom box to read and correct the time it may be able to read and display the boost, which the ECU is constantly seeing in terms of requested and provided psi? But maybe this is a differant system.
There are 4 CANs in the Audi: Diangostics, Power Train/Engine, Comfort and Infotainment. Bjarne's CANGate is connected to the Infotainment CAN because that's what the RNS-E is connected to. It would also work on the Comfort CAN because that CAN is using the same speed as the Infotainment CAN. The comfort CAN transports more data about the car (e.g. whether or not the doors a closed or even if the engine is running) but I doubt that it transport engine specific data because there is no device on the comfort CAN that would use that data. Also, the more data you transport the more traffic there is and that traffic may not fit anymore in the available bandwidth of 100kbit/s.

A device like EFU or the 3pmdev system that is able to show engine data must be connected to the power train CAN or diagnostics CAN. Both CAN operate at higher speeds and different electrical specs. While the diagnostics CAN is running at 250kbit/s, the power train CAN is running at 500kbit/s. Especially the power train CAN is very sensitive to termination and other issues on the CAN bus. While you can do almost anything with the infotainment CAN without loosing control over your car or breaking stuff badly, issue on the power train CAN may cause your electrical steering or brake assist to fail (just 2 examples).

·
Registered
11 Posts
thanks for the explaination

I have not purchased an RNS-e yet but I really enjoy learning about the systems. One of the reasons I keep coming back to this forum is the wealth of information.

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Will it work with a factory-installed RNS-E in an A3?

With my factory-installed RNS-E I don't have the clock problem, but I'd like to buy one just to keep power on until the key is removed (WIll the GPS and FM antennas remained powered up in this case, or will they shut down with the car?) If I install CANgate, will it cause my RNS clock to offset, or can this feature be turned off?

Also, does it do speed signal blocking yet? If yes, will this eliminate the secondary disclaimer screens that appear only when the vehicle is moving?

And: A new feature idea for folks who don't have BT: Mute/pause via steering wheel buttons. Decode the message from one of the unused buttons, and activate the mute input on the RNS.

(Second to me, the RNS-E is the most annoying thing in my car :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
I do not know that the CANGate will work in an A3 for the key feature. I would assume so, and it clearly could be made to work We did see some differences in the ignition messages between the C5/B5 and the B6, which required some fine tuning of the algorithm. So there is a possibility that this could also be the case with the A3.

All feature of the CANGate can be selectively disabled/enabled, so yes, the clock adjustment feature can be disabled.

I have implemented speed blocking in the latest version of the firmware, by blocking speed messages, like the 1280 does. You would not want to use this for getting rid of the secondary disclaimer, as it also breaks navigation, since the speed signal is used between GPS updates, and when there are no visible satelites (like in a parking garage).

If the disclaimer you are talking about is the one you get trying to enter navigation destination, while driving, then that one actually makes sense to me. I would hate being on the road with people entering this data while driving, and if the passenger does it, dismissing the disclaimer is no big deal.

I might look at the mute idea, when I have some time.

Thanks,
Bjarne

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Bjarne,
does that mean, that I (my co-pilot..) can watch DVDs while driving?
How is that done, could it be switched of?
If so, please send me more informations (firmware, wiring diagram for the switch?)
Please also send me the wiring harness diagram for the serial connector,
tia,
jensbert

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hi Jensbert,
I order to watch DVDs on your RNS-E you need a DVD player and a Dietz 1417 (or equivalent), and if you want the functionality while driving, you need to cut the Speed signal to the RNS-E. Since you bought a CANGate I assume you have a pre-2002 C5 or B5, and in that case you have Speed on the GALA wire. So to enable video-in-motion you can insert a switch in the GALA wire, and you don't need a Dietz 1280 (or the functionality I was talking about).

I don't have video in my car, my kids are grown up, so I have no use for it, therefore I am not the best to advice you. If you look in the Multimedia section there is a wealth of information on the subject.

The sheet I sent you with the CANGate connections has the serial connections on J8. I will email you another copy of the sheet. The possible problem is whether you have access to the micrfit connector and the needed crimp tool.

Bjarne

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanx a lot.
I ordered the TV Adapter incl. DVD Player with USB from conexx in germany.
If it arrives, I´ll see, if the Gala switch does the trick!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello

I'm from switzerland and i have the same problem with the clock on my rns-e. I'm very interested in your little box and would buy one.

But i have just another question about the flickering-problem of the rns-e. Does this box solve this problem too?

Thanks

phinel

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello,

I've got the same clock problem too,
bjarne, can you tell me the price and the shipping cost to France for your "magic box"

phinel, what do you mean with "flickering-problem" because I'm like you sometime the rns-e 's got shortcut which is fall down the sound.

sorry for my english, I'm little frenchie...

Magna

·
Registered
4 Posts
magna said:
phinel, what do you mean with "flickering-problem" because I'm like you sometime the rns-e 's got shortcut which is fall down the sound.
Magna
I have the problem, that the display of my RNS-E is flickering sometimes (the display is turning off for some milliseconds and is turning on). This appears maybe once every 5-10 minutes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
phinel said:
magna said:
Magna
I have the problem, that the display of my RNS-E is flickering sometimes (the display is turning off for some milliseconds and is turning on). This appears maybe once every 5-10 minutes.
yes I'm like you I've got the same problem but I've no idea to solve it ?...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello! I have a bug with my RNS-E on my S3 8L.

When the clock of FIS is 16h, the clock of the RNS-E pass to 10h
At 15h, no problem... lol
My firmware : 0460

The CANgate is the solution?

Cyril

·
Registered
264 Posts
CANGate works as original

Today I went into engineering mode on our A3 2007 with factory installed RNS-E. In enginering mode I wanted to see if the GPS clock and the Intrument clock would show the same time.

Well they did not. The instrument clock jumped seconds, from for instance 6,7,8,16,17 and 23,24,32,33 and so on. Seconds went up to 89 until turning a new minute and seconds starting from 0 again.

Of course the clock on the display in normal mode was perfectly synced with the instrument.

This is exaclty the same behaviour that Bjarnes CANGate does for the RNS-E clock-syncing issue on the pre 2002-A6.

I am defenitly buying the CANGate from Bjarne SOON!

201 - 220 of 255 Posts