Audi Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Right - took delivery of my B7 2006 RS4 today and can now confirm the task ahead to fit an RNS-E, CD changer and bluetooth kit will be arduous....I have started sourcing the parts after many hours of reading much helpful advice on these boards. The car has Concert 2 and no CD changer but it does have BOSE and an odd-looking telephone cradle thing (which I'm sure I won't use) that sticks out from the centre dash.

CD Changer - the dealer said it did have a changer in the glovebox and he said he would honour that and send me one). I did see a spot in the glovebox where I guess it is mounted when done by OEM. There is a rectangular compression in the glovebox door whose size would seem to match that of the changer unit) with some clips that look like the harness/wires would sit. Can anyone with a B7 RS4 confirm that this is the case? I saw on this board an installation of some plastic mounting racks but my glovebox doesn't have a shelf to attach the rack to.

Concert 2
- The Concert 2 CD/radio is the single din version because the car was made last year. New RS4s are shipped with the double DIN version for both Concert and Symphony now. As I understand it, this will mean more hassle for the install.

Parts bought so far:
RNS-E head unit (Q version), Double DIN cage with climate control unit pre-installed in bottom slot, RNS-E harness from kufatec, diversity adapter from kufatec, 1.8m GPS antenna with FAKRA connection, stereo removal tools, new VAG COM cable and software from Ross Tech

Parts still to source:
CD changer, complete bluetooth kit, 2007 Navi DVD suitable for Scandinavia,

Open questions: I have absolutely no clue of how to connect all the different adapters to each other but I'm hoping that the shape of them and/or labelling will make it self-explanatory. I've been reading about checking individual PINS in harnesses, moving BOSE pin to ground etc. I am alittle lost with this despite all the info on this forum

:oops:

Bit concerned about getting the "wrong" CD changer as have read many posts about compatibility. Is there any definitive direction on this now? Shall I get the D version of the changer as suggested previously?

Assuming I have managed to connect everything together and put the double DIN cage back - I understand that I will need to use VAG COM to finalize the install. I had enough trouble understanding the DTCs from my B5 RS4 let alone knowing how to send values back to the car. Any notes on the "commands" needed to make all the new kit behave harmoniously? What are these standard codes - where is the list that you guys seem to know from the top of your heads?? It is really impressive actually!

Last question is...can I really 'kin pull this off!!??

Many thanks to you all for your help so far, I will mostly be looking at the pdf docs on ths site to help me but will be welcoming any further advice with open arms and a large dose of gratitude. I will of course post with updates....

Wish me luck.. :shock:

·
Registered
258 Posts
1st off: GOOD LUCK!

2nd: I cant speak for the B7 RS4, but my 2007 B7 A4 has the mounting location in the glovebox for the CD changer as you said.

3rd: IT REALLY IS NOT AS HARD AS IT LOOKS. Although it will probably take you a good 4-7 hours, it's fun, and the hardest part will be the VAG, NOT making everything fit together. The components only fit in one way (except for the antenna, which you need to match up the colors) so you will not have problems. If you have the Quadlock connector (which I'm now thinking that you won't), you will just need to switch the BOSE and K-Line wires, which takes around a minute to do (toothpick to take out the pin and it will just snap back in to the other location).

4th: To VAG it, just get someone with a VAG, and that person will know how to use it. At that point, you will just need to switch one or two values and PRESTO...

It's not really hard. If you have the least bit of mechanical know-how, some common sense, a flashlight and a few tools, you'll be fine :D

PS. You will also need radio removal tools... That was the hardest thing for me because I did not have them and had to use popsicle sticks to get it out.... REALLY REALLY A PAIN TO DO THAT.... Get the tools :D

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Before you start to take your car apart I would spend the few Euros on getting a new center console and remove the ugly cradle the phone prep comes with. The interface will work fine BT only and in most cases you won't need the cradle anyway because there is no cradle for the phone you intend to use. So while you fit the double DIN cage, replace the console and get rid of the phone holder.

For the changer, you will definitely need a new glove box. While there is a glove box that looks like a changer would fit, the changer will not lock. So the only way to do this right is to get the glove box that's made for a changer. Let the Audi guy look up the right part number for a CD changer that works with an RNS-E and order the CD changer cable with your RNS-E adapter.

Changing single DIN to double DIN is some work but it's well worth the effort. The AC control might be an issue, if possible source any double DIN AC control and simply swap the electronics,m that way you won't have to do any recoding.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments so far. OK so today I ordered the new glovebox compatible with CD changer from Audi, as well as the CD changer mounting rack that sits in the glovebox. Anyone want to point me in the direction of a bluetooth kit? Have PMed craigyb but he hasn't responded. Any other suggestions?

Cheers

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool if I do have bluetooth already. How is it supposed to work if I only have a Concert 2 right now?! :lol:

Look at this picture - I don't seem to have the bit on the bottom with the Motorola? logo. I only have the back part, seems to be a clip on it that houses something
I don't have. Is that normal? Am I missing something I should have and therefore should request from the dealer who sold it to me?

TDiAvant - I'm based in Sweden these days but am from UK (Swedish Mrs).

Cheers

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers for that - just found that out myself on another site!!

It said it can be controlled by the multifunction steering wheel - do you know if that means the flat-bottomed RS MFSW as well?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
it works through your steering wheel and cluster. Try searching for handsfree devices using your bluetooth phone. Do it during the first few minutes after you turn the car on. You should find the "AUDI UHV ..." and your bluetooth PIN will be 1234.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
rs4-sson said:
It said it can be controlled by the multifunction steering wheel - do you know if that means the flat-bottomed RS MFSW as well?
The RS4 wheel is not a multi-function wheel, it's buttons can only be used to control the car but not the phone.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK - well it worked fine with my Nokia N93. What a result. Tried to connect the Mrs' SE T610 as it is supposed to be fully supported but I it couldn't find the device. Maybe you can only pair one BT phone with the Audi system so when my Nokia paired - that was it?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
rs4-sson said:
Maybe you can only pair one BT phone with the Audi system so when my Nokia paired - that was it?
Nope that's not it - you can pair up to 4 phones with the Audi Bluetooth system.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good to hear it can take 4 phones..

Update - some of you will say "Told you so....." or something similar but it seems as though the seller on a certain auction site that starts with an "e", has rippred me off good and proper. After having sent some cash to him, there has been complete radio silence and he has not responded to a single email. I do however have his name and when googled, found his business address and phone number. My german is not good enough but I will ask a german colleague to phone him and ask WTF he thinks he's playing at - I go to Germany on buinsess quite regularly and would even consider paying him a visit in person. Anyone else got any advice...?

This guys has had some bad feedback but has also had some good feedback SINCE I won the auction. I mean the guy just could be on holiday and so don't want to start a dispute until he has had enough time. Still, I could do without this hassle...all the other components to start the build are here.

Fecking eBay.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update.....mixed success

:?

Just to recap - this project was to retro fit the RNS-E (Q version) into my 2006 B7 RS4. The RS4 start spec was Concert II radio with GSM phone prep but with no CD changer.

Parts
OK - All parts listed earlier arrived by yesterday but in addition I bought a new "CD changer friendly" glovebox. Other issue was that the RNS-E adapter I bought from Kufatec did not include phone connection (which I do have) but did include a CD changer connection (which I thought I had but didn't) - I ordered the parts before I took delivery of the car - didn't count on the dealer telling me horsesh1t.....

The non-electrical parts of the install
I used the "Installing SatNav in A4.pdf" from this forum as my bible. It is pretty acurate in most places but I had to figure a couple of things out (common sense things really) and I'll point them out for the benefit of others. Removing the Concert II proved to be no problem, neither did the removal of the trim, dash panel covers, glovebox and dirver's storage compartment. Removal of the front center armrest was a little more problematic but only because I did not have a 13mm spanner to remove the fixing bolt. There is not enough room to use a socket wrench so make sure you have a spanner (or a nice neighbour - as in my case).

The most annoying part of the de-install of the old kit is without doubt the center console parts. In my case, and as per the instructions, you have to cut some of the plastic away at the bottom to make the console fit back to the new double DIN cage. Suffice to say I made a right pig's ear of this....I again did not have the right tools (Dremel type tool would have been wonderful here) and so I managed to cut too much plastic off and too far back. The result being that when the climate control module was put in the bottom, there was a raggedy-assed hole where there should not have been. :oops: :cry:

Well, it means now that I have no choice but to buy a new center console and re-fit the whole thing again. Someone else had suggested that I do this anyway because of the awful looking hole the phone prep makes. Well, I definitely will now. Before moving on from the center console fiasco, let me just add that when you are wiggling the console back and forth (first to remove the sngle DIN cage and then again after the double DIN cage is in place) be very careful not to snag the handbrake cover. I was not careful enough and now the console sits on top of a section of the handbrake when it should be underneath. I only notice this when I had finished unfortunately. Another reason to take it off and start all over again!!

NOTE - Do not forget to unplug the "Engine Start button" connector before pulling the console off. Accessed from underneath or pop out the button housing (harder) and then remove connector.

ANOTHER NOTE - If you have a phone prep - remember to unscrew the 4 hex screws, take off the cradle housing and disconnect the connectors there before attampting to pull the console around.

The electrical parts of the install
All the switches (ESP, Hazard, Parking assist etc) are easy to unclip from their housing and have colour-coded connectors. Easy. The connections of the back of the RNS-E are also easy. There isn't an awful lot of room behind the unit so I was extra careful when putting the RNS-E unit in after connecting everything.

New CD changer with OEM cable
This was the bit that I struggled with for a while. The dilemma was this: I told Kufatec that I DID have a CD changer with a Concert II head unit so that was the adapter that they sent me. Meanwhile, I have a CD changer cable that had about 8 or 9 multicoloured wires (with pins) on one end. How the hell was I going to figure out where to stick those pins? I then looked at the installation instructions that came with the changer cable and saw 2 wiring diagrams. I studied the one which showed you the "installing to a Radio" rather than "Installing to Navigation" then looked for the corresponding pin positions on the Kufatec adapter. I found them and then went back to find the corresponding Concert connector. Found that PINS 13-19 were indeed empty on the Concert connector and then put the pins from the OEM changer cable into it. The "upgraded" Concert connector then plugged into the Kufatec adapter and all the pins matched up - yippee. Turned it on and hey presto everything works.

Radio

No problems. All worked.

CD changer

6 CDs loaded, all played fine. Controlled from RNS-E perfectly.

BOSE
Sound quality seemed as good as before. No issues there.

Navigation

Cannot test as still haven't got a DVD yet. But did notice that TMC has a slash through it. Normal because I am in Sweden?

Phone/Bluetooth
Phone broken and cannot test until Mrs gets home. Not sure what to test for anyway as I am bypassing the phone prep - cradle cable is not connected to RNS-E as the kufatec adapter hasn't got it. Could do it manually I guess, there only seems to be 2 wires in the red connector. Could put those straight into the appropriate locations in the quadblock couldn't I?

Interestingly. I have not noticed (yet) a need to recode anything with VAG COM. The cd changer just worked. Maybe its Nav stuff. Any opinions?

So with plenty of assistance from you kind souls, I have managed a 100% successful install from a functional perspective but have ruined my centre console through my own shoddy craftsmanship and having the wrong tools. Am going to Audi on Monday to order a new console, the hardware store to get a Dremel. Will fix this to 100% next week - at least I know the electric stuff will be a non issue.

Thanks again for all your advice and support. Without that, I would never have done this on my own and Audi would have robbed me blind to do it......

:roll:

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Re: Update.....mixed success

rs4-sson said:
Navigation
Cannot test as still haven't got a DVD yet. But did notice that TMC has a slash through it. Normal because I am in Sweden?
TMC in Sweden has been working since the 2006 DVD (i.e. 2006, 2006_1 and 2007), but you need the DVD inserted to get the INFO screen working.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Re: Update.....mixed success

rs4-sson said:
Phone/Bluetooth
Phone broken and cannot test until Mrs gets home. Not sure what to test for anyway as I am bypassing the phone prep - cradle cable is not connected to RNS-E as the kufatec adapter hasn't got it. Could do it manually I guess, there only seems to be 2 wires in the red connector. Could put those straight into the appropriate locations in the quadblock couldn't I?
What error message do you get on the RNS-E screen when you press the PHONE button?

You probably will need to use VAG-COM to get the Bluetooth working properly, and to clear the fault codes that will have appeared while you installed the RNS-E and Bluetooth.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi

Yeah, there were of course plenty of issues when I plugged the VAG COM in. It moaned about lots of things..I'll post the log further down. In answer to your question mate, when I pressed the phone button it said the telephone is not installed. I think that is related to the fact that the 2 key cables are not plugged in to the RNS-E. They are a green and a black wire in pin positions 3 and 4 on the Concert IV connector (red, 10 pin). As I said earlier, the RNS-E adapter that Kufatec made for me didn't come with the Concert connector IV adapter. Two options I guess, buy another full RNS-E harness or buy a 10 pin male connector, two wires and two pins so that I can add that to the current adapter (pins 6 and 12 in the C connector of the quadblock).

I also haven't coded the VAG COM poperly I'm pretty sure but maybe you can check out the log and tell me what's wrong? Cheers

Sorry for the length of the post too.... :oops:

Saturday,14,April,2007,17:46:28
VAG-COM Version: Release 607.3-UD
Chassis Type: 01 - Audi RS4 B7
Scan: 01 02 03 08 09 0F 11 15 16 17 18 36 37 45 46 55 56 57 65 67
69 75 76 77
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine
Part No SW: 8E1 910 560 HW: 8E1 907 560
Component: 4.2L V8/4V FSI ª0040
Coding: 01040003180F0160
Shop #: WSC 02195

1 Fault Found:
006549 - Door open signal not recognized
P1995 - 004 - No Signal/Communication
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100100
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 23979 km
Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2482 /min
Load: 33.7 %
Speed: 80.0 km/h
Temperature: 72.0°C
Temperature: 15.0°C
Absolute Pres.: 990.0 mbar
Voltage: 13.716 V

Readiness: 0000 0000

Address 03: ABS Brakes

No Faults Found
or DTCs not supported by controller
or a communication error occurred

Address 08: Auto HVAC
Part No: 8E0 820 043 BK
Component: A4 Klimaautomat 2832
Coding: 00000
Shop #: WSC 79791

1 Fault Found:
01794 - Control Module - Incorrect Chassis (VIN) Number
35-10 - - - Intermittent

Address 09: Cent. Elect.
Part No: 8E0 907 279 L
Component: int. Lastmodul ECE 0704
Coding: 00021
Shop #: WSC 06335

No fault code found.

Address 11: Engine II
Part No SW: 8E1 910 560 HW: 8E1 907 560
Component: 4.2L V8/4V FSI ª0040
Coding: 01040003180F0160

1 Fault Found:
006549 - Door open signal not recognized
P1995 - 004 - No Signal/Communication
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100100
Fault Priority: 0
Mileage: 23979 km

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2486 /min
Load: 33.3 %
Speed: 80.0 km/h
Temperature: 72.0°C
Temperature: 15.0°C
Absolute Pres.: 990.0 mbar
Voltage: 13.843 V

Address 15: Airbags
Part No SW: 8E0 959 655 G HW: 8E0 959 655 G
Component: Airbag 9.41 H12 3730
Coding: 0430612

No fault code found.

Address 16: Steering wheel
Part No: 8E0 953 549 T
Component: Lenksáulenmodul 0201
Coding: 16021

No fault code found.

Address 17: Instruments
Part No SW: 8E0 920 931 G HW: 8E0 920 931 G
Component: KOMBI+WFS 4 H14 0030
Coding: 0023011
Shop #: WSC 06348

No fault code found.

Address 36: Seat Mem. Drvr
Part No: 8E0 959 760 A
Component: Sitzverstellung H01 0020
Coding: 00001

1 Fault Found:
53250 - Unknown Error Code
Unknown - 04-10 - Mechanical Malfunction - Intermittent

Address 37: Navigation
Part No SW: 8E0 035 192 Q HW: 8E0 035 192 Q
Component: RNS-E HIGH EU H73 0610
Coding: 0309113
Shop #: WSC 00000

2 Faults Found:
00446 - Function Limitation due to Under-Voltage
002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100010
Fault Priority: 7
Reset counter: 95
Date: 2007.04.14
Time: 17:01:04

Freeze Frame:
Voltage: 11.20 V
Mileage: 655350 km
Count: 2608
Clock: 00:30

01044 - Control Module Incorrectly Coded
000 - -
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Reset counter: 55
Time: 16:58:03

Address 45: Inter. Monitor
Part No: 8E0 951 177
Component: Innenraumueberw. 0804
Coding: 00001

No fault code found.

Address 46: Central Conv.
Part No: 8E0 959 433 CA
Component: Komfortgerát T3B 3332
Coding: 06778

Part No: 8E1959801H
Component: Tõrsteuer.FS BRM 0606

Part No: 8E1959802H
Component: Tõrsteuer.BF BRM 0606

Part No: 8E0959801E
Component: Tõrsteuer.HL BRM 0606

Part No: 8E0959802E
Component: Tõrsteuer.HR BRM 0606

1 Fault Found:
01320 - Control Module for Climatronic (J255)
49-10 - No Communications - Intermittent

Address 55: Xenon Range
Part No SW: 4F0 910 357 E HW: 4F0 907 357 E
Component: AFS 1 H01 0010
Coding: 0000019

Part No: 8E0 941 329
Component: AFS-Modul links H03 0020

Part No: 8E0 941 329
Component: AFS-Modul rechtsH03 0020

No fault code found.

Address 56: Radio
Part No SW: 8E0 035 192 Q HW: 8E0 035 192 Q
Component: RNS-E HIGH EU H73 0610
Coding: 0309113

2 Faults Found:
00446 - Function Limitation due to Under-Voltage
002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100010
Reset counter: 95
Time: 17:01:04

Freeze Frame:
Voltage: 10.50 V
Mileage: 655350 km
Count: 2608
Clock: 00:34

01044 - Control Module Incorrectly Coded
000 - -
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Reset counter: 55
Time: 16:58:03

Address 65: Tire Pressure
Part No SW: 8E0 907 273 HW: 8E0 907 273
Component: Reifendruck 3 H03 0110
Coding: 0022523

No fault code found.

Address 76: Park Assist
Part No SW: 8E0 919 283 E HW: 8E0 919 283 E
Component: Parkhilfe 8-Kan H06 0010
Coding: 0000104

No fault code found.

Address 77: Telephone
Part No SW: 8P0 862 335 M HW: 8P0 862 335 M
Component: FSE_255x BT H21 0200
Coding: 0000511

1 Fault Found:
01304 - Radio
004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100100
Fault Priority: 5
Fault Frequency: 2
Reset counter: 113

End --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 - 18 of 18 Posts