Audi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called this "The Idiot's Guide" because it really is a step by step even showing the obvious, but before I did the install I wondered exactly what was involved...not to mention I lost a few minutes here and there searched for mounting point and such.

Minimal tools are required to perform this installation and just about anyone should be able to do this installation.

The kit I used came from NSX JR here on the boards and was very complete and direct plug-and-play.

The items in the kit are shown here... (NSX JR I hope you don't mind me using your picture :p )

First few steps are basic and no pictures are provided. :)

- Begin by disconnecting the battery using a 10mm wrench.
- Remove RNS-E from dash using radio removal keys.

- Plug all components in to verify that everything powers up and functions prior to tearing the glovebox out, this way if something is wrong...you won't do a bunch of work for nothing.

- Power on everything (turn key to igition on) and make sure everything looks ok.

- If everything is good, it's time to start tearing apart the dash. :)

- Pull down on the glovebox and it will snap out of place fairly easily.

Once removed, you can see where the BT module will sit...

- Start to feed the wires through and plug the harness into the BT module...

- Continue on with the microphone wire which will end up at the map light/sunroof control...

- Although the BT module sat very nicely in the above picture, once you install the glovebox it will actually push up on the module using the zip tie as a pivot point. *Make sure* that the BT antenna has enough clearance by lifting on the BT module yourself and feeling around.

Your install is pretty much complete at this point as far as the BT module is concerned. Reinstall the glovebox and move back to the microphone install.

The map light needs to be removed next...

- Once the microphone wire lead is fed through, install the BT microphone...

- Re-install all components and you're done with the hardware install! It's that easy!

The next step of the installation is to program everything via VAG-COM.
You will need VAG-COM version 512.4 to do this. Directions on how to program everything can be found on NSX JR's site here:

http://www.nsxjr.com/docs/RNS.pdf

The Bluetooth VAG-COM instructions begind on page 40 of the PDF file (which is actually numbered page 37).

*Note that the VAG-COM program must be shut off after you make changes for them to take effect...I even removed the VAG-COM cable to make sure*

Once VAG-COM is complete, you are completely done! Here is what you should see with the system working properly.

I hope this is of some help to anyone looking to install the plug-and-play BT kit. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just finished this install. I positioned the Bluetooth interface as you suggested. It works, but the interface is uncomfortably close to the hot lead on the glovebox light.

Where do they put the interface when they install it at the factory?

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
cpurick said:
Where do they put the interface when they install it at the factory?
In an electronics box underneath the seat - which is a much more difficult place to get to, that's why we put the BT box behind the glovebox when we retrofit them.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
If you're worried about shorting on the positive wire there just cover the top of the whole assembly with tape or other type of insulation.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Am I worrying unnecessarily? There's a raised guard adjacent to the light. I'm not sure the BT even *can* touch the wire -- I just know it's probably closer than an inch. It really depends on how high the wire sticks up on the top of the glovebox. I didn't think to look at this when I had the glovebox out.

I was thinking of mounting it directly to the glovebox (so it won't shift around even if it is close to the wire). I was also thinking of putting it on the top shelf of the glovebox (less discreet, but hardly conspicuous).

·
Registered
18 Posts
My car had the RNS-D factory installed. I replaced it with the RNS-E following excellent guides on this site. I used a Kufatec adapter on my new RNS-E...

How will this work with NSX JR's kit as the picture seem to replace the Kufatec harness I already have?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I would have to make you a custom harness for the RNS-D conversion. The only thing I assume is that you removed the TMC box and bridged the CANbus lines at the 12-pin connector there in order to properly use the RNS-E. You can email me to discuss.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I agree that you have to pull the BT module toward the right just before you push the glove compartment up, or the two screws at the rear of the top shelf will not line up. If the glovebox isn't lining up, it's probably because of this.

Also, I insulated the area of the BT module that's closest to the glovebox light. If you look at the light, the bare positive terminal for the bulb is pretty close to the aluminum module housing. I'm not sure if the module can actually touch leads, but since I couldn't prove to myself that they can't touch, I felt it would be safer to just insulate that portion of the module with a couple layers of thick cellophane packing tape. (Of course, in the process I broke the lock on the 54-pin connector housing, but that's another story...)

·
Registered
4 Posts
OEM bluetooth install

hey does anyone know of people near chicago who would be able to install an OEM bluetooth kit? And where can you buy the supplies to do it

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hi guys,

Is there a similar post for an A3 8P?
Probably not for the concert II+.

Its very similar to the RNS-E though. Purchase your wiring lead/adapter and then identify what needs connecting to where. Or post up some pictures of your adapters and people will identify what goes where to assist you.

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
Probably not for the concert II+.

Its very similar to the RNS-E though. Purchase your wiring lead/adapter and then identify what needs connecting to where. Or post up some pictures of your adapters and people will identify what goes where to assist you.
Only 2 pins are different between the Concert II+ and the RNS-E (Bose and K-line). But since the 8P A3 uses CAN diagnostics and the Bluetooth does not care about Bose that means instructions for retrofitting Bluetooth to an RNS-E in an 8P A3 will be correct for retrofitting Bluetooth to a Concert II+ (or Symphony II+) in an 8P A3.

Just ignore the RNS-E coding instructions, and code the Bluetooth module without the high functionality (i.e. the coding should be 0xxxx)

·
Registered
29 Posts
great! I am now starting to have a clearer understanding. PetroleDave, sorry for the very basic question, but what does "high functionnality refers" to? Ideally, this would be a tremendous help if you could extract from the RNS-E coding instructions what exactly needs to be modified below.

I have a CONCERTII+, no Bose, MFSW, DIS, and I am planning to use a European BT module (8P0 862 335 Q), and I'd like French language setup.

Here is what I found in the "Audi_A3_8P_RNS_E_Bluetooth_Sharkfin_Install_V1.pdf" from the installation Archives:

"BlueTooth Coding
----------------
My Coding 10322
# 77 (Phone)
Coding - Function 07
HU = Head Unit (i.e. RNS-D/E)
MFL = Multifunction Steeringwheel
?xxxx: type (car)
0 - with CAN-bus (A2, A3, TT)
1 - D3/C6 High-System
2 - C6 Standard-System
x?xxx: type (Steeringwheel)
0 - non multifunction steering wheel
1 - standard steering wheel
2 - modular steering wheel
xx?xx: installed components
1 - none
2 - MFL
3 - HU
4 - MFL and HU
5 - K-line
6 - MFK and K-line
7 - HU and K-line
8 - MFL, HU and K-line
xxx?x: language for voice control
0 - voice control off
1 - German
2 - English (UK)
3 - French
4 - Italian
5 - Spanish
7 - English (US)
8 - Voice control from external device (i.e. RNS-E)
xxxx?: Language for DIS
0 - no DIS display
1 - German
2 - English (UK)
3 - French
4 - Italian
5 - Spanish
7 - English (US)

#77 Adaptation 10
-> Channel 128 (Base Volume)
000 - 0dB (no increase/decrease)
001 - +1dB increase
003 - +3dB increase
006 - +6dB increase
128 - -1dB decrease
130 - -3dB decrease
133 - -6dB decrease
-> Channel 129 time after ignition off
000 - 30 Sekunden
001 - 5 Minuten
002 - 10 Minuten
240 - 20 Stunden
-> Channel 131 (Microphone Sensitivity)
000 - 0dB (no increase/decrease)
001 - +1dB increase
002 - +2dB increase
003 - +3dB increase
004 - +4dB increase
005 - +5dB increase
006 - +6dB increase
128 - -1dB decrease
129 - -2dB decrease
130 - -3dB decrease
131 - -4dB decrease
132 - -5dB decrease
133 - -6dB decrease
-> Channel 133 ( )
activate/deactivate.
-> Channel 134 (handsfree)
0 - handsfree over
1 - handsfree only with mobile in cradle
-> Channel 135 ( -PassKey)
default: 1234
These codes are based on Fitting RNS-E to a
UK spec A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI Sport with retrofit
Bluetooth, Maybe different depending on what option fitted
to your car."

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
what does "high functionnality refers" to?
It means that the phone can be controlled from the controls of the RNS-E, and that the call lists and phonebook are transferred to the RNS-E. So with your Concert II+ it cannot be used.

Ideally, this would be a tremendous help if you could extract from the RNS-E coding instructions what exactly needs to be modified below.

I have a CONCERTII+, no Bose, MFSW, DIS, and I am planning to use a European BT module (8P0 862 335 Q), and I'd like French language setup.
Your phone module coding should be 02433, and there's almost never a need to change the adaptation channel settings in the phone module.

?xxxx: type (car)
0 - with CAN-bus (A2, A3, TT)

x?xxx: type (Steeringwheel)
2 - modular steering wheel

xx?xx: installed components
4 - MFL and HU

xxx?x: language for voice control
3 - French

xxxx?: Language for DIS
3 - French

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks PetroleDave! Is that all for the coding? Voice control from the steering wheel buttons will work, just by entering your code? If yes, that's much simpler than I thought!

Now the last thing I am concerned about it the location of the bluetooth module. I read several posts about it: on the A3 8P it seems that there is no room to fit the module behind the glove box. Is the only option left the put it under the seat? I saw a picture showing the box filxed with velcro on top of the carpet, but since I have a drawer (holding the emergency kit) under the passenger seat it won't work. Also, if the passenger moves his seat back....or if the guy behing extends his legs and kick the box...

So, if locating the box under the carpet is the only solution, what's the procedure? I read that I would have to remove the seat (what's the best way to do it?), and that I will have to cut the carpet and remove some insulating foam: can I just cut the carpet anywhere or is there a specific place corresponding to the E-Box (just filled with foam since I didn't get the BT option)?

Thanks guys! As soon as I have all the pieces of the puzzle, I'll start my project! And I will make an updated "Idiot proof guide to install OEM Bluetooth module on A3 8P, with Concert II+/Symphony II+"

Ren

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
Thanks PetroleDave! Is that all for the coding? Voice control from the steering wheel buttons will work, just by entering your code? If yes, that's much simpler than I thought!
Yes, that's it for the phone module.

You'll need to check that you MFSW is coded correctly to enable all the buttons including the phone button. http://wiki.ross-tech.com is your friend again.

Now the last thing I am concerned about it the location of the bluetooth module. I read several posts about it: on the A3 8P it seems that there is no room to fit the module behind the glove box.
In one of the threads on here it says that on an 8P A3 the easiest place to fit a retrofitted phone module is underneath the radio and on top of the climate control module.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thank you so much! I think I am now ready to proceed with my project. I have ordered the wiring, micro-CAN and the 4 removing tools. I have asked a friend living in Germany to provide me with pricing for the bluetooth module from an Audi dealer. I read somewhere that a brand new one costs only 280 Euros!

I'll keep you updated! Thanks again everybody!
Ren

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi everybody!
I am planning to buy a BT module on eBay and install it in a near future.
But I have one "big" problem : I do not have VAG-COM in order to program software after hardware install.
Do I really need to buy the original Ross-tech cable or an ebay VAG-COM cable would allow me to change the needed BT settings ?
Thanks !

1 - 20 of 60 Posts