Audi Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my A4 Cabriolet has blown up... 5th time now. Good job its under warranty.

The 2005.5 A6 3.0TDI they have given me while they fix it has an RNS-E type screen and all the controls in the centre console - though "Navigation is not installed". As I understand it this is the new A6 RNS-E which comes with every A6 now.

One interesting thing is the fact that the font used in the Red DIS on this A6 (same DIS as in my cab) seems to be a lot narrower and better for displaying CD names (and, if there were nav, street names no doubt) - see the top of the DIS.....

My DIS on my cab (retrofitted with CD changer and RNS-E) does not seem to use kerning, and displays only 8 characters up top before the name runs off the end of the screen. For example, instead of 'Kaiser Chiefs' shown above, I would get 'Kaiser C' in big chunky letters. Also, as I remember, instead of getting 'CD 3 Track 7' I get 'CD 3 TR 7'.

Anyone know of a VAG code to fix the font? Or do I just need a new car? Is this something I would possibly find on a B7 (B6.5?!) cabriolet? Heres the version info from the MMI on the A6:-

Should I hook my VAG-COM up to the A6 monster and see what it gives me?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The A6 C6 uses a different DIS, one that can display more information at a time. There is no way to get this on a B6/B7 or 8P DIS. Also, the MMI in the A6/A8 includes a CD changer that supports CD text. Unfortunately is it connected via MOST and there is no easy way to add non-OEM devices to that bus - at least for now.

So, enjoy you B5 FIS and stay tuned for what comes when the B8 gets released. Rumor has it that the B8 will get the full MMI from the C6/D3.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts