Audi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the chart for moving the OnStar to Bluetooth , it lists two pins that are duplication of power and ground pins. Do I really have to connect both power and ground pins or can I just use one each? That would mean connecting 10 pins instead of the 12...

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
One power and ground is sufficient.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I wasn't sure maybe more current was required or something. But it was working fine with one set - glad to know I don't have to rip the car apart again to add a duplicate power and ground.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Reese,
In your A6, when doing the Onstar/BT swap, I highly recommend:

- using an exacto knife to carve away the oem fabric tape around the bundle of wires leading into the onstar wiring harness. You want to try and expose about 12" of wire if you can...but do it carefeully so you don't cut a wire. A razor blade will also work but it won't give you the precision to get underneath the tape and cut it in an upward motion. (also applicable to a B6/B7 Onstar/BT conversion)

- cover the back of the BT module with some foam tape (pipe insulation from a hardware store etc) so the BT module doesn't rattle against metal.

- Mount the BT module with the antenna facing down. There will be plenty of clearance once the backup battery is removed.

- keep the BT module mounted underneath the oem plastic -- you will see what I mean when you pull the carpet back

- having a friend handy to sit in the drivers' seat and hold back the carpet as you work in there relocating the pins

I think that's about it for now. Did I send you those pix from that allroad 4.2? Also, did I ship you the custom mounting bracket for this? I can't remember. Drop me an email.

Good luck!
-Ted

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Ted. Your tips were right on. All installed and working.

Unfortunately, my Blackberry 7803 doesn't download it's phonebook so I get limited features, but I'm setting up the dial by name/dir function which is working for most active contacts.

I did get your pictures which helped a lot...thanks! The ones I had previously were for an A4 which has the box in a different location. I didn't remove the battery or VAG the battery off. Lee had sent me instruction that said not to worry about it. I can always go back in for more 'surgury' as required.

Reese

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Its true you dont have to worry about turning off the backup battery, but you should probably go ahead and remove it from the car. It's not doing anything but sitting there once the onstar module is removed.

·
Registered
996 Posts
eseer said:
Thanks, Ted. Your tips were right on. All installed and working.

Unfortunately, my Blackberry 7803 doesn't download it's phonebook so I get limited features, but I'm setting up the dial by name/dir function which is working for most active contacts.

I did get your pictures which helped a lot...thanks! The ones I had previously were for an A4 which has the box in a different location. I didn't remove the battery or VAG the battery off. Lee had sent me instruction that said not to worry about it. I can always go back in for more 'surgury' as required.

Reese
Yeah, too bad about the Blackberry BT support. I moved to the Moto Q and it works quite well. I had to wait for my companies IT department to support Window's ActiveSync ...and the rest was easy.

Talk to you soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts