Audi Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I found the OnStar module, but have this additional "black box" that is between the main harness and the OnStar module. Does this need to be removed as part of swapping out the OnStar for the BT??

It has a 42pin connection going in from the harness and a 42pin connection going out to the Onstar box.

Just want to make sure I swap the pins from the right connector.

I posted a pic over at Audiworld (http://forums.audiworld.com/telematics/msgs/581.phtml) under the telematics section as was not sure how to post pics here.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I'm not an A6 expert but based on the picture I would assume that this is some kind of converter. The blue connector looks like the one in my B6, the black one seems to be just an interconnect to the module.

If you open the blue connector you should find the CAN high/low wires. High is orange/lilac, low is orange/brown. You should also find the power and ground wires in the right position there. If you don't then it's time to get a wiring plan but if you do, chances are good that the pinout applies to the blue connector.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I believe that Black box is your new “revised†backup battery for the onstar module. If that is the case, then you don’t need it connected to the car anymore. However, since the battery itself uses different pins than the Bluetooth module requires, it also should not hurt anything if you leave it connected. If it were my car, I would unplug it and use the 42-pin connector that is attached directly to the car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts