Audi Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. so I've decided I want to buy an RNS-E Navi System for my 2002 A4. I currently have the Symphony II with Bose. When I spoke with the dealer about this upgrade, they advised me that it wasn't compatible b/c my current Symphony II Bose Receiver DOES NOT HAVE the SAT button (for XM/Sirius Satellite Radio). I am guessing they told me this b/c there is no wiring or pre-wiring for a GPS or Satellite antenna. However, if I run an antenna to a location, the trunk/top of trunk, or top of car, and obviously connect it to the RNS-E unit will it work properly?

Is there anything else I need to know that may effect the compatiblity for the upgrade?

Brandon

Symphony II with SAT Button

Symphony II without SAT Button

·
Registered
737 Posts
It can be done. You can run your own wiring for Satellite Radio.

·
Registered
12 Posts
They are probably thinking you need to have the shark-fin on the roof.

From reading the forums, I think the majority of people here who have upgraded to the nav system have not used the GPS antenna in the shark fin. That's because the car is not factory cabled to the dash for it, and you would need to run a cable from the headliner to the nav unit. Instead people are buying a seperate GPS antenna and mounting it somewhere behind the dash. Popular choices in the A4 include:
* behind the instrument cluster
* behind the glove box
* on top of the nav unit ( there is a handy space)

If you want XM/sirius, to go with NAV, then you need a newer sat receiver. You can fit the nav without the sat radio - I for one have just disabled the sat unit as the XM sound quality sucks, and with the 2 SD card slots in the RNS/E, I have plenty of music.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
EXCELLENT!!
That is what I figured, the Audi Dealer is just too lazy to do any research so they state the obvious when a sharkfin isn't present.

Thanks for the replies!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts