Audi Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my RNS-E unit from eBay.

The guy I bought it from said it would work with my 'shark fin' antenna located on the roof. He said I would need a fakra connector. Is this true or will I need to do what I've read on other postings about using a second antenna and mounting it in the dash or glove box?

I received the Nav Plus unit, plus a wire harness that has four inputs to one output (BOSE?) and an antenna.

Aside from the dashboard unlock keys, what else do you think I need to complete the install of this unit?

Also, I have no idea what you guys are talking about regarding

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I hit send by accident before finishing the last part....

I have no idea what you guys are talking about regarding VAG-COM. Can someone shed some light regarding this?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
-You can use your sharkfin, you will need a 5 meter long FAKRA extension cable to connect it to your navigation unit.

-You will also need a navigation DVD if you don't have one.

-You will need to CHECK EACH CONNECTION from end to end within your plug and play (4 into 1) harness. There is a document on my site exactly for this purpose (symphony II to RNS-E chart).

-for VAG-COM, purchase from www.ross-tech.com. The best cables and software and support around, period.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NSXJR, thanks for the advise on the sharkfin. The 5-meter cable sounds like a lot of work. I will also look at your chart.

Today I received the 'keys' to remove my Symphony II from the dash. I ordered these from NavParts. Although I have read many of the postings on this site, I can not find anything regarding the '06 and wanted to see what I have back there before I start ordering a bunch of items / connectors.

I had hoped my sharkfin was wired for the Nav already. Instead, all I see are the two sets of wires going into the back right-hand side of the Symphony II plus the diversity and AM/FM on the left.

It appears I will need to order a FAKRA connector right away. I will take the housing off my diversity antenna and connect it to the FAKRA. The FAKRA will then connect my AM/FM antenna and diversity antenna to the back of the RNS-E. I will then run the separate Nav antenna into my glove box or over towards the fuse area. I saw a few articles where a guy had his dash off and the inside of his car in pieces. I am not going to do that!!

My RNS-E came with a wiring harness that has one connection for the back of the RNS-E and four other connectors. I have the Symphony II / BOSE / Sirius. Will this work? What about the Sirius? Do I need anything else?

Since I do not own the VAGCOM equipment / software, what happens once I connect all of this stuff. How will it work pre / post VAGCOM? Does anyone own this equipment that can help?

I appreciate any pointers anyone out there has.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NSXJR, I verified the wiring harness last night using your chart and everything looks good. Thanks for making this info public and accessible.

I also installed the GPS antenna, routing it through the dash and attached it to the firewall in the fuse compartment. I used some 'fishing' tools and it was pretty easy!

Waiting for the FAKRA adapter to arrive today. The remaining steps should be easy. I am concerned my Sirius will not work. My Sirius was OEM from the dealer...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts