Audi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently installed a Symphony II+ in my 2001 Audi A4. Everything is working fine except...

I enter the radio code, listen to different sources and shut it off. The next time i turn it on it asks for the radio code again.

I triple and quadrupled checked the wiring and pins...I have no clue why it is doing this. Any ideas or suggestions on why it does this?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Sounds similar to the problem the RNS-E has in some B5 and early C5 where it doesn't remember the car. Bjarne's CANGate was a solution for the RNS-E, it may be a solution for the II+ radio as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1) Did you wire the II+ harness with the safe wire? Chances are you did...otherwise it wouldn't accept any code.

1a) How about the alarm wire?

2) Did you wire the canbus wires into the cluster?

It might need a few days to acclimate itself to it's new canbus.

keep us posted.

-Ted
Hi Ted,

1. Yes.
1a. You are talking about the Alarm GND? If so, yes.
2. Yes, wired the canbus into the cluster.

:-k

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi I Had the "Looping Problem" with the RNS-E in my 00 B5. I'm the one that just figured out that MAYBE CANgate is the solution. Bjarne input my VIN into the CANgate so the RNS-E is getting a constant VIN message. When I first had the problem I just disconnected the CANBus. So I atleast had some tunes. You could try and disconnect the CANbus and see if you still get the looping. My RNS-E would work as long as the cluster wasn't on. I.E. Key out of ign. and sat there until the cluster info-date and time- went away. Then the looping would stop. Hope my rambling helps! :thumps up:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just wanted to give a quick update.

I have been using the Sym II+ in my B5 for a solid week now and it has only asked for the radio code once. It could still be acclimating itself to the car. Still not sure what causes it, but I am very happy with this radio...love that OEM feel. If it comes back again I will look into the CAN gateway.

Likes...all the things the Sym I didn't have...:
1. MP3 support.
2. AUX input.
3. 12-disc cd changer (internal and external)
4. CD-text.

Dislikes (more like quirks):
1. Occasionally/intermittently, the radio will not power on with the ignition. It was on when I turned the car off, but sometimes I have to manually power it on.

Still have to "mod" the faceplate. I will post pics when it is finished.

Thanks for the responses. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
If it comes back again I will look into the CAN gateway.
Please don't confuse the product developed by bjarne, called CANGate, which solves various problems with installations such as yours - with the Audi component fitted to e.g. A3, TT, R8 and called a CAN Gateway!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please don't confuse the product developed by bjarne, called CANGate, which solves various problems with installations such as yours - with the Audi component fitted to e.g. A3, TT, R8 and called a CAN Gateway!
Oops...mixed up my terms. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you ever figure this out? I need help! I can't figure out the "safe wire" I only have one wire going into slot 15. no 16 to connect it to

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
kevincooke, please DO NOT multiple post. The answer to your question is in the other thread you posted on..

BTW you need to add a pin in pin 16 if one is not present.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I recently installed a Symphony II+ in my 2001 Audi A4. Everything is working fine except...

I enter the radio code, listen to different sources and shut it off. The next time i turn it on it asks for the radio code again.

I triple and quadrupled checked the wiring and pins...I have no clue why it is doing this. Any ideas or suggestions on why it does this?

Thanks in advance.
You need to use this CAN buss simulator, or similar:KUFATEC GmbH - Can Bus Interface / Simulator Audi Concert 2, Chorus 2, Symphony 33672

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever figure this out? I need help! I can't figure out the "safe wire" I only have one wire going into slot 15. no 16 to connect it to
T16j/15 and T16j/16 are jumpered together and to +Batt "30" at the three post threaded connection under the left dash panel. If there is no T16j/16 terminal then add the terminal using a repair wire with the correct terminal already crimped onto it, insert into the T16j/16 position.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts