Audi Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a bit off beat for this forum. I have a Lamborghini Gallardo (which is built by Audi) that uses the Symphony II radio system. The wire connections CAN bus, dash lights etc are all identical. Anyway I wanted to replace it with an Eclipse NAV system. This 2DIN unit contains a CD player, radio and NAV system all in one box. I have described the switch in detail on my web site:- http://www.lamboweb.com/Repairs_Section/Repairs_Gallardo_Navigation.htm

Anyway everything works fine except for the fact that radio reception is much poorer than I had for the origional Symphony II radio. AM is hopeless (dont use it anyway) but FM is poor too. Has it something to do with the fact the fact that the Symphony used two wires for the antenna and I use only one (the larger socket one). The antennas come from two amplifier circuits that are connected to the actual antennas. I did not remove these circuits, just the Symphony II box. I tried using an antenna amplifier which improved things a little. I used this one
http://www.cardomain.com/item/SCOVWA2B

Is this the wrong type or ist there something else I should do?

Great forum BTW, wish we had the same for Gallardo!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The antenna amplifier is power by the Symphony II through the antenna connector and your new head unit doesn't support this. What you need is an adapter that adds power to the antenna signal. I don't know how it's called in English but any car audio shop that knows what they are doing should know what you need if you tell them you drive an B6 S4 or so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that info AudiA4B6US. Is that why there are two "coax cable" connectors from the antenna to the Symphony II radio. Is one the regular AM/FM commector and the other is not an antenna at all but a +12V power lead. Seems strange would have expected regular wire connector rather than coax.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
No, it's a little more complicate. This is a great article about how the antennas work: http://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/494428.phtml

To make it short: The HF wire (main antenna) get sthe signal to the head unit, the ZF wire (diversity antenna) talks back to the diversity module to help making the right decision.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again AudiA4B6US. That was very informative. I am beginning to get the picture. Since the Lamborghini Gallardo does not have a large back window (and I cannot see any wires embedded in the glass) I suspect the 4 antennas are in the roof or elsewhere. I have the detailed schematic wiring diagram and it indeed shows 4 antennas.
I can forward you (or anybody else for that matter) the .pdf file with all the detail.

I am still a bit confused about one thing however. I am currently using a HF line +12v in line amplifier/adaptor (see http://www.cardomain.com/item/SCOVWA2B) to supply +12V to this line. I thought this was to supply +12V to the antenna amplifier. If I connect the HF line directly to radio without this unit the signal is even worse. Are you and the article you mentioned, saying I need +12V on the ZF line as well. What if I just attach +12V to the center wire of the ZF line? Would that burn out the amplifiers?

Finally would really appreciate if I could get from you (or anybody else), a suggestion or URL to a B6 A4 "adaptor" for the HF line mentioned above. I am a DIY'er and find local shops don’t want to help "my types" -- especially if you say Lamborghini!

·
Registered
12 Posts
[/Quote]Are you and the article you mentioned, saying I need +12V on the ZF line as well. What if I just attach +12V to the center wire of the ZF line? Would that burn out the amplifiers?[/QUOTE]

So. Any answer on this? I have ZERO reception on my new head unit, and wish to connect the ZF line to power at least. Any help?

Thanks...

Oh, 2003 A6 OEM Symphony II - replacing the head-unit.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
What you need to do is buy from a car audio store the gadget that lets you inject 12V into the antenna connection to power one of the amplifiers built into the car.

Connect that inline with the HF antenna lead and connect the power lead from it to the amp enable output from your head unit. Then whenever you turn on your head unit the HF amplifier will receive power and you should get radio reception again.

P.S. Why was this thread in the CD navigation forum - it's nothing to do with the RNS-D? Surely it should be in the Aftermarket or Lamborgini forum...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Right on.. That makes sense - I just need the 'power injector'. I will hit up the local radio shop and do a little searching online.

Who knows... resurrected a 2006 thread....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts