Audi Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unbelievable story (sorry, it is in Dutch):
http://tweakers.net/nieuws/46058/Zwitserland-verbiedt-gps-met-flitspaalwaarschuwing.html

It described how Swiss government forbids the use of GPS navigation devices that also give warnings when police traps (speed or alcohol) can be displayed in your map.

Let's hope they will not forbid this in Holland and some other countries (since we are now used to these beautiful TMC speed trap icons on our RNS-E!).

It seems legally not so easy to sustain this, but let's see.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Switzerland bans many things that are legal in other countries, so I'm not surprised.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
arthurfuxake said:
So, you get icons on the RNS-E showing where speed camera's are and it's fed by TMC??

Is this available in the UK? I have the 2007 DVD's and am running sw550, so how do I enable the speed camera icons?
It's NOT available in the UK, only in The Netherlands - where speed camera locations are published on websites AND transmitted using TMC. Because they ARE about improving road safety, unlike the UK where speed cameras are purely for revenue generation!!!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
In Germany any kind of device that would tell you where a speed trap is located is illegal and can be confiscated at the time they detect it. If your RNS-E could tell you where those speed traps are, they would be allowed to confiscated the RNS-E. And since they (most likely) cannot confiscate just the RNS-E, they would keep the whole car and you walk home.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
In France radar detectors are illegal but, at the moment, GPS devices are legal. If the Gendarme can tell the difference ....

Best to leave your GPS camera warning devices at home when going to France.

·
Registered
103 Posts
PetrolDave said:
In France radar detectors are illegal but, at the moment, GPS devices are legal. If the Gendarme can tell the difference ....

Best to leave your GPS camera warning devices at home when going to France.
Correct. There were several reports about Brits driving down to Le Mans last year, and hoards of them being pulled over and having their detectors (of all types I understand) being confiscated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts