Audi Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, can you please recommend which fuse to tap for +12v switched ignition on my 2006 A4 (B7)?

I was thinking that it would be easiest to purchase a fuse tap and use that to get my +12v switched power from the fuse panel on the driver's side.

Sorry for the big pic...

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
What do you need the switched +12V for?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PetrolDave said:
What do you need the switched +12V for?
An ipod kit. The kit will automatically pause the ipod when power is cut (when the car is shut off). The line will be used for both power (to charge the ipod) and to determine if the car is on/off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
switched power

Switched power can be found at pin B10 on the RNS-E.
To follow on from the above question

I have rns-e but am converting from a Symphony II so don't believe the original Symphony leads have switched power, is the correct or if not do you know which pin has the switched power?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The Symphony II is switched on over CAN and does not need/have a switched 12V wire to turn on.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
To follow on from the above question

I have rns-e but am converting from a Symphony II so don't believe the original Symphony leads have switched power, is the correct or if not do you know which pin has the switched power?

Thanks
The equivalent pin on the Symphony II to pin B10 on the RNS-E is Connector I, pin 17.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Is it safe to power an Ipod dock with the RNS power wire?

Are you guys talking about using the actual RNS on/off power wire for this application?

Would it be safer to run a switched power from a fuse?

Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Is it safe to power an Ipod dock with the RNS power wire?
No, unless it is designed for an Audi and detects when to go into deep sleep when the car is off. Devices without CAN connection need a switched power source to not drain the battery. If you mean the switched out on the RNS-E then I would not recommend to power any device with it. It's only a remote signal wire to turn a device on/off but not provide main power it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
So the DLO should be run directly from the fusebox to switched power (what fuse should that be)?

Can the IMA+ be powered directly to the B10 pin on the RNS? Or this would also be "no" because the IMA doesnt us CAN?

According to Kufatec the IMA uses 200mA when active & 2-5mA when in sleep mode.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have just hardwired a Road Angel directly from the fuse box - really simple, used the HomeLink Transmitter fuse and a Snap-Lock onto the wire.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Can the IMA+ be powered directly to the B10 pin on the RNS? Or this would also be "no" because the IMA doesnt us CAN?

According to Kufatec the IMA uses 200mA when active & 2-5mA when in sleep mode.
That would be a "yes" since the IMA has a sleep mode.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The IMA should be connected to D15, B10 is switched power for the CD changer only.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
OK I've posted this before but it seems I need to post it again...

- ONLY the CD changer should be connected to B10.

- D13 should be connected to the amplifier enable pin AND at most one relay coil (where you need power that is on when the RNS-E is on).

·
Registered
146 Posts
Is this all correct?

1. The IMA+ power can be safely wired to the D15 RNS (always on) power pin because it has a sleep mode. I assume using an inline fuse would work in place of a relay.

2. However the IMA+ doesnt need to be powered from D15, it can be powered to a regular switched power source (or always on power source) from the fuse box.

3. D13 is a switched RNS power, if the IMA didnt have a sleep mode, this would be the preferred power location.

4. Even with the sleepmode on the IMA+, if the power savings failed, the switched power would cause less of a problem (in terms of a dead battery).

Does that all sound correct?

Thanks,
Rich

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Is this all correct?
No.

1. The IMA+ power can be safely wired to the D15 RNS (always on) power pin because it has a sleep mode. I assume using an inline fuse would work in place of a relay.
Correct.

2. However the IMA+ doesnt need to be powered from D15, it can be powered to a regular switched power source (or always on power source) from the fuse box.
See my answer to 4.

3. D13 is a switched RNS power, if the IMA didnt have a sleep mode, this would be the preferred power location.
NO!!!! D13 is NOT a switched RNS power source - it is an ENABLE pin only. NO devices that take more than a few mA should be connected here - anything else that needs switched RNS power must be connected to a relay that is controlled by D13 (I think I've posted this information at least 3 times this week in various posts!).

4. Even with the sleepmode on the IMA+, if the power savings failed, the switched power would cause less of a problem (in terms of a dead battery).
It's always true that switched power eliminates the risk of a flat battery, BUT it would mean that you could not watch any video while sitting in your car with the ignition off. And given that a flat battery will only happen with a faulty unit, then I would connect the IMA+ to permanent power every time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.