Audi Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I'm driving a 2005 A4 2,0T (B7 8E) with the RNS-E.
I want to bring the car to Germany in a couple of months and drive it there 'til it dies...

I read quite a lot in this forum (yes, I used the "search"-function) about swapping the US-version RNS for a EU RNS-E, and it all was helpful (I also have a german Forum (Motortalk.de), but those threads weren't useful so far).

Since an Audi-dealer in Germany obviously won't help me, I'll have to do things myself.

So my questions go a little more in detail than what I've read so far:

How much effort is is to update the US RNS-E for a (fully and properly working) EU RNS-E (I don't care about the loss of warranty - my Audi won't have any more warranty when it gets to the "old world")?

Do I receive all radio-frequencies in the EU after an update (right now of course I only receive XX.1, XX.3, XX.5 etc.)?

Is it really LESS effort to change the whole unit than updating it (FRITZNER once spoke of a 5-10 minute-job for changing the whole unit...)?
Is it a "makeable" effort even for a technically unskilled guy?

Many questions...

Thanks for answers in advance!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
All you need is an update CD to convert your US RNS-E to Euro spec and the Euro DVD. For the conversion US to Euro you don't even need a VAG-COM cable and the update will be as easy as doing a software update with a new Euro DVD, just one step more than usual. If you ever decide to convert it back you will need a VAG-COM cable (or a dealer to change one adaptation channel) and a Euro2US update CD.

Based on what is known so far, a converted RNS-E will look and feel 100% like the "real" RNS-E from that region. The radio will have the right frequencies, you will loose SAT radio because it doesn't exist over there but you get TMC instead. The advantage of doing the software update is the fact that you can keep your RNS-E and don't risk to get a broken unit or spend a couple 100 Dollar or Euros on a new RNS-E.

Topics like modifying DVDs or even making a backup are not allowed on forums in Germany, that's probably the reason why they don't have much expirience in that area. Or at least don't talk about it in public.

Contact me via email if you want to go the software route. If you want to go the hardware route I'm sure one of the sellers here can assist you getting this done as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick answer!

That sounds good to me.

Since I still have a couple of months left in the US (I´ll leave end of 2007) I´m not in a hurry, but I´ll contact you in time...

Thanks so far!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts