Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to connect a subwoofer amp to my existing audio sys (RNS-E NON-BOSE)? What are the connections to obtain the line out that goes to the rear subwoofer? (I would cut that wire, and would convert that signal to two RCAs to go into the sub's amp... Also, what should I use as the remote wire?

Thanks.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I did this a LONG time ago and don't really remember exactly how it went but here is a diagram I found that I put together...

If I remember correctly, the wires going from the stock amp to the stock sub are already low voltage so you can splice right into them. For remote power, I tapped into the remote turn on for the stock amp and I ground the amp under the rear seat bench.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Line out signals from RNS-E:

Left Front - pin C3
Right Front - pin C9
Left Rear - pin C5
Right Rear - pin C11
Signal GND - pin C8

Amp enable signal - pin D13

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
using the high levels will only work if your amp has high level input... if i try using the signal directly it just puts the amp into protect cause the signal is too strong...

as per the pin outputs, i need a positive and negative for each of the left and right channels... i therefore need two pins for each channel and in the list above there is only one... how can i connect that to rca inputs on the amp?

·
Registered
209 Posts
As I said, I remember tapping in between the stock amp and stock subwoofer...not the head unit and amp and it's been working fine for 2+ years.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
shawnie53 said:
as per the pin outputs, i need a positive and negative for each of the left and right channels... i therefore need two pins for each channel and in the list above there is only one... how can i connect that to rca inputs on the amp?
Connect all the negatives to the signal GND pin.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Stock amp is in the trunk on the right side under the carpet/paneling, which is why it's simple to run the wires from there. Running them from the back of the headunit would be a pain.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
is there a way to tap into the wires before they are amplified?? also, how exactly does one access the stock amp?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
shawnie53 said:
is there a way to tap into the wires before they are amplified?? also, how exactly does one access the stock amp?
The connections I gave further up ARE before being amplified - they are line level not speaker level.

As HX-Guy said the stock amp is behind the trim in the RNS of the trunk, remove the trim (on an Avant just unclip the panel) and you have access to the input and output connections of the stock amp. The pin connections are different for a standard amp and a Bose amp.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im talking about the stock amp (non-bose)... do you know the wiring connections BEFORE at the input on the amp (im assuming that those are also line-level) that i would be able to splice into an rca wire and get it to work for the sub?!

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
According to Bentley, the connections of the non-Bose amplifier are:

1 - Line input - right rear, from Radio
2 - Line input Ground, from Radio
3 - Line input - left rear, from Radio
9 - Switched positive from Radio
14 - Bass Loudspeaker R100 ( + )
15 - Bass Loudspeaker R100 ( - )
17 - Left rear loudspeaker ( + )
18 - Left rear loudspeaker ( - )
20 - Right rear loudspeaker ( + )
21 - Right rear loudspeaker ( - )
22 - Ground (GND) Terminal 31
23 - Battery positive (B+) Terminal 30

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
shawnie53 said:
and how exactly (physically) do i get to the amp?!
As both HX-Guy and I have already posted:
the stock amp is behind the trim in the RNS of the trunk, remove the trim (on an Avant just unclip the panel)
So you need to remove the trim on the RHS of the trunk in a sedan, or in an Avant just open the removable panel - you will see the amp behind there.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i am just trying to find a location so i dont take out carpet unnecesarily... im assuming that its on the passenger side of the trunk, in the place where the cd changer / cubby compartment is on the drivers side of the trunk... is that correct or is it closer to the front of the car? someone said in one of the other topics that it is on the rear deck lid, attached to the rear passenger side speaker... is that correct?

·
Registered
209 Posts
The actual stock subwoofer if in the rear deck area where the speakers are.

You can mount your new amp where ever you want...but it most likely will not fit behind any of the carpeting. The reason you need to pull up on the trunk lining/carpeting is to get to the wire leads. You could tap in behind the stock head unit, but why go through the trouble of routing wires to the trunk when they are already there?

·
Registered
9 Posts
PetrolDave said:
Line out signals from RNS-E:

Left Front - pin C3
Right Front - pin C9
Left Rear - pin C5
Right Rear - pin C11
Signal GND - pin C8

Amp enable signal - pin D13
So I'm right in the middle of adding a sub to my RSN-E too and need a source signal. So is there a seperate signal for the sub amp? Or is the sub amp getting it's signal from one of these pins? Are the signals coming out of the head unit clean or are they compressed, equalized, crossed over, etc? I have an '06 A4 with Bose.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
swoardrider said:
So is there a separate signal for the sub amp?
Nope, the list of signals you quoted is all there is.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts