Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok

Out testing the new install today. I have plug n played the RNS-E and waiting until the weekend for VAG COM access.

All is working and i'm showing 6-8 satalites most of the time.
But when driving the map doesnt look like its updating quick enough when driving at more than 40mph plus...

Is this a speed problem and would it be fixed my programming the RNS-E with VAG COM?

Driving around my local streets the round abouts and side streets come up correctly but at higher speeds the map doesnt move quick enought.
So the women is saying directions for a round about I might have gone over 5 seconds ago.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Make sure that the tire size and pulse count is set porperly. And then drive about 100 miles with route guidance active. I fyou get a speed signal (see in Engineering Mode) and enought sat, the RNS-E should get more precise the more you drive.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
Make sure that the tire size and pulse count is set porperly. And then drive about 100 miles with route guidance active. I fyou get a speed signal (see in Engineering Mode) and enought sat, the RNS-E should get more precise the more you drive.
Ok saw the wheel size is configred with VAG COM?
The pulse count is another setting withing VAG COM ?
What should that be set to ?

I take it 5-7 sats is good enough so the internal GPS aerial doesnt need moving.

I'll check the engineering mode now for a speed read out

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
GPS is slow, not available in tunnels and not very exact. But together with data about distance travelled it gets very exact. That's why a correct speed signal is important.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
Ok
Popped the system into the engineering menu
The pulse is set to 6...

What does this mean please?

Also where inside the menu does it show current speed to check this out

Thanks

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The A3 8P is 43, the A4 8E is 45, if you drive either of both the pulse is way off. In the A6 4B it 8, a difference of 2 together with the wrong tire size can have a significant impact on the navigation.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
The A3 8P is 43, the A4 8E is 45, if you drive either of both the pulse is way off. In the A6 4B it 8, a difference of 2 together with the wrong tire size can have a significant impact on the navigation.
Im driving a A4 2006 which is a A4 B7.

How can you change the pulse?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
By using a VAG-COM cable (or going to the dealer) and changing the value in #37 channel 1 and channel 2.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
By using a VAG-COM cable (or going to the dealer) and changing the value in #37 channel 1 and channel 2.
Ok so another setting to change with the vag com.

Ive been into the engineer menu again and got these settings

GPS SPEED = this works when I drive the car. So its getting a speed signal is this correct ?

Learning is on
distance 0.933
speed level HI
pulse 6
impalse/rotation = 45
carlibration counter = 163
tire cirula = 9835 ( my tyre size is 235x40x18 )

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Don't trust the values you see in Engineering Mode, check channel 1 and 2 with a VAG-COM. Once checked/changed drive around and eventually it will get better.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
Don't trust the values you see in Engineering Mode, check channel 1 and 2 with a VAG-COM. Once checked/changed drive around and eventually it will get better.
Ok thanks
But looking at the VAG COM code list I dont see some of the settings.

I have the following to check and change when i get the vag com.

channel 1
Tires
channel 2
Gala ( should this be self calibration or 45 audi A4 > 2004 )

phone #77 from 0xxxx to 1xxxx

But how do you change the pulse settings please?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
channel 2

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
45 audi A4 > 2004

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The RNS-E needs a speed signal and it doesn't really matter if you call it GALA, ABS, impulse or pulse. That's all the same (not really but for now that's the easiest way to explain). Just set channel 2 to 45 and see what happens.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts