Audi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the user manual, there is a section that describes how to store voice tags for contacts downloaded from the phone's memory.

Here's how it is supposed to work. I tried this, but I suspect it only works with SCSM based vehicles (B6/B7) and not the older style C5/B5 multifunction steering wheels. So, anyone with a B6 or B7 want to try this out... looks really neat to me!

1. Using the MFSW, scroll to a contact on your DIS.
2. Press and hold the telephone button on the steering wheel until you hear a long beep.
3. Speak the name to save to the contact shown on the DIS.
4. Repeat the name as instructed.
5. A confirmation tone will be played if successful.

After doing this, a small arrow is supposed to show up in the DIS with any contact that has a stored voice tag.

For example:

Ted
Basile

Would become:

->Ted
Basile

Anyone with a B6 or B7 try this out and post back here. This would be a much better way of doing voice tags than having to store the name and number manually. I tried this with my C5 (non-SCSM) and pressing the voice/telephone button in step 2 just causes the number to be dialed. I think this is because my steering wheel cannot differentiate between a short press of the button (to call the contact in the DIS) and holding the button down to store a voice tag.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
And how many times did you call Ted when trying this out :lol:

Thanks for sharing though...

·
Registered
517 Posts
This is really a feature I am missing, thanks for sharing the info.

I really need to get my bench test setup going, I think this might be doable through CANGate, but it is going to take a bit of experimentation.

I think some of the messages Dirk got me from a B7 might hold the key. As soon as I am done with the daytime/nighttime switching stuff, I am going to work on this.

Bjarne

·
Registered
737 Posts
I just tried it and when I scrolled to a name located on the instrument cluster. I pressed and held down the "speak" button and all I could get it to do was call the contact.

Now I'm not sure if this is of any relevance but my MFSW is the 6 button wheel. But when I held the button like you mentioned, it dialed the number just like it would if I pushed & released.

If you have any other ways to try just post it, and I've give it a shot. Someone may want to try it with the B7 MF wheel.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
NSX JR said:
In the user manual, there is a section that describes how to store voice tags for contacts downloaded from the phone's memory.

Here's how it is supposed to work. I tried this, but I suspect it only works with SCSM based vehicles (B6/B7) and not the older style C5/B5 multifunction steering wheels. So, anyone with a B6 or B7 want to try this out... looks really neat to me!

1. Using the MFSW, scroll to a contact on your DIS.
2. Press and hold the telephone button on the steering wheel until you hear a long beep.
3. Speak the name to save to the contact shown on the DIS.
4. Repeat the name as instructed.
5. A confirmation tone will be played if successful.

After doing this, a small arrow is supposed to show up in the DIS with any contact that has a stored voice tag.

For example:

Ted
Basile

Would become:

->Ted
Basile

Anyone with a B6 or B7 try this out and post back here. This would be a much better way of doing voice tags than having to store the name and number manually. I tried this with my C5 (non-SCSM) and pressing the voice/telephone button in step 2 just causes the number to be dialed. I think this is because my steering wheel cannot differentiate between a short press of the button (to call the contact in the DIS) and holding the button down to store a voice tag.
Ignoring if this was a joke :( :( I tried this procedure but if I press and hold the phone button in my B7 S4 Multif.Steering wheel it only calls the number showed. I've tried also to scroll a number in the Dis pressing the right button and this only activates the voice phone-book whit the usual function call name/number, memorize name/number.....In my car there is the newest SCSM and Steering-wheel, the RNS-E firmware is 0460 the latest in Europe, Bluetooth interface is C-Versaion- hw.18- sw.0160 not the last M-Version... sorry but with my hardw-softw, this optiion doesn't exists :( :( :(

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Relating to my previous post if you look this Vag-label for 77-telephone:
# 77 (Phone)
Coding - Function 07
HU = Head Unit (i.e. RNS-D/E)
MFL = Multifunction Steeringwheel

?xxxx: type (car)
0 - with CAN-bus (A2, A3, TT)
1 - D3/C6 High-System
2 - C6 Standard-System

x?xxx: type (Steeringwheel)
0 - non multifunction steering wheel
1 - standard steering wheel
2 - modular steering wheel

xx?xx: installed components
1 - none
2 - MFL
3 - HU
4 - MFL and HU
5 - K-line
6 - MFK and K-line
7 - HU and K-line
8 - MFL, HU and K-line

xxx?x: language for voice control
0 - voice control off
1 - German
2 - English (UK)
3 - French
4 - Italian
5 - Spanish
7 - English (US)
8 - Voice control from external device (i.e. RNS-E)

xxxx?: Language for DIS
0 - no DIS display
1 - German
2 - English (UK)
3 - French
4 - Italian
5 - Spanish
7 - English (US)
I've never been able to code the second digit to 2-modular steering wheel
I was thinking that the new steering-wh. was the modular one but it accept only standard ST.Wh..... Why??

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On the B7 style wheel, the button to "press and hold" would be the voice button on the right side. Sorry to hear this does not appear to work for anyone. It is in the manual though!

One thing, the manual says this is only for cars with cell phone preparation, MFSW, and phone cradle. However, there's a bunch of other stuff in the manual that also states you have to have the phone cradle that does work without it.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
NSX JR said:
On the B7 style wheel, the button to "press and hold" would be the voice button on the right side. Sorry to hear this does not appear to work for anyone. It is in the manual though!

One thing, the manual says this is only for cars with cell phone preparation, MFSW, and phone cradle. However, there's a bunch of other stuff in the manual that also states you have to have the phone cradle that does work without it.
The original cradle for my SE K750i doesn't exists in Audi catalogue and in any case I don't think to need it. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.