Audi Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my 2005.5 B7 S4 (US). I wanted the nav system but they did not have a car with it anywhere in the tri-state area. I was told that in a few months there will be an audi offered adapter kit so they can install the nav in my car.

I currently have the Symphony/Bose/Sirius combo, but want to upgrade to the nav. Since reading many of the boards here, it seems to me that I don't need to wait for Audi in order to install the nav unit.

So my question is, what do I need to get this thing in my car? I assume I will need a CD changer as well as the nav unit. Do I need any special wiring harness or is this plug n play in my car? Can I use the existing shark fin antenna, or do I need a different one? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Scotto said:
So my question is, what do I need to get this thing in my car? I assume I will need a CD changer as well as the nav unit. Do I need any special wiring harness or is this plug n play in my car? Can I use the existing shark fin antenna, or do I need a different one? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Your B7 is pretty much like a B6 (from an RNS-E point of view). This means you will need the same RNS-E, adapters and map DVD. If you don't have OnStar you can either use the shark fin (requires new cable routed from the back to the HU) or a new GPS antenna (installed behind instrument cluster).

If you want to keep Sirius and don't have the tire pressure monitoring system right now, you will also need a new sat receiver. The glovebox CD changer requires a new glovebox and harness, all together another $1000 or so. I would wait and check first if you are not satisfied with the SD/MP3 capabilities and single CD when not navigating. If not you can add the CD changer later.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Yikes. What adapters do I need? Is there a thread here that lays this out? I was hoping for a complete harness kit (I am not very handy). Will teh steering wheel controls still work?

I will probably wait on the changer vased on your recommednations.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Check the for sale forum, there is a new source in the US for the adapters and he can tell you exactly what you need. The picture below shows what you need and when you order you should specify exactly what kind of car and options you have (e.g. Symphony II with Bose, CD-Changer and handsfree phone prep). This way you get all the wires even if you do not have the CD changer or phone kit yet.
[siteimg:de4e20b3a9]150[/siteimg:de4e20b3a9]

The steering wheel buttons should work after you coded your RNS-E to support this. Sirius will only work if you get an US unit (8E0 035 192E).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts