Audi Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to all the info here I´ve now installed RNS-E in my A4 B7. I did the single to double DIN conversion and it all went well. Unit is working fine navigating but my radio just won´t work. It tunes the stations just fine but the sound breaks up and then theres just noice until you here the station again for a second as if you had extremely bad reception. The very same thing happens when the nav-lady talks. She breaks up momentarely during her guidance. I havn´t VAG´d it yet and my previous stereo was the Concert II, non-bose. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Sounds like you may have poor/intermittent connections on the speaker/line-out wires in your adapter.

Are all 4 speakers affect or only the front ones or only the rear ones?

In a non-Bose system the front speakers are connected directly to the RNS-E/Symphony/Concert/Chorus and only the rear ones go via an amplifier.

In a Bose system all four are connected via the Bose amplifier.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems like the antenna connector is the bastard here. If you tweak it while on you get good reception. Also the unit can´t read CD´s :cry: Looks like I´ve been buying a shitty unit :evil: :evil: :evil:

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
TDI-Power said:
Seems like the antenna connector is the bastard here. If you tweak it while on you get good reception. Also the unit can´t read CD´s :cry: Looks like I´ve been buying a shitty unit :evil: :evil: :evil:
I thought that at first, but you said in your original message that you also get the static when the nav lady speaks?

What happens when you are playing a CD or an SD card? Do you still get the static and break up then? If you do, then it's the speaker and/or line out connectors.

If you don't, then the problem is only with radio. Have you got both antenna connections in place, both main and diversity? The RNS-E uses a double connector for these but the Concert uses two different connectors so you need an adapter. Do you have that adapter, and is it securely connected?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I did som investigating and found that the radioproblem is due to the fact that the connection itself, inside the RNS-E, is broken and needs to be put back on the "motherboard". Also seems I have a strange harness. Found out that the unit is working fine (except for the radio) when no other electrical power is consumed. Example: I listen to mp3 with ignition off and open the lighted glovebox, music stops. Close it and the music continues. Same thing with the doors. Open a dore and the music stops. Close it and wait 30 seconds for the lights to go out and the music continues. Sadly, when switching the ignition on it goes dead again and stays dead. Another thing is that I have no sound in the rear right speaker, only left channel when I fade full rear??? My newbe-brain says this is a wireing problem. Any help is very much appreciated. I´m getting seriously frustrated at this.... :cry:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update on progress:
The breakup was due to faulty harness. (Have you heard that one before? ;-)) Found that alarm GND (DWA-GND) wasn´t connected to DWA-GND. This resulted in breakups as soon as a door opened, a light turned on or ignition started.
Now on to the next issue:
As mentioned earlier I have a A4 B7 w/o Bose but still there is an OEM amplifier in the trunk. When I fade the sound to the rear I only get sound on the right side. So if I fade rear+right there´s no sound at all. Guess it´s a harness-thing again but any suggestions are more than welcome...

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
TDI-Power said:
As mentioned earlier I have a A4 B7 w/o Bose but still there is an OEM amplifier in the trunk. When I fade the sound to the rear I only get sound on the right side. So if I fade rear+right there´s no sound at all. Guess it´s a harness-thing again but any suggestions are more than welcome...
Did you check the line out wires including the common ground wire for the line out signal. IIRC the non-Bose amp uses the same line out as the Bose amp but just for the rear speakers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You were right. Connectors to rear AMP were all wrong. (What´s the problem with makin´us a correct harness in the first place????). Problem solved anyway.... Now I just need to find somebody who can mold the antenna connector on the RNS-E itself, back on. (The white doubleconnector at the back is kind of loose and thats got to be the reason for the non-existing reception. Anyone ever opened and fiddeled inside the unit? :shock:

Thanks again for a great source of info!

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
TDI-Power said:
Update on progress:
The breakup was due to faulty harness. (Have you heard that one before? ;-)) Found that alarm GND (DWA-GND) wasn´t connected to DWA-GND. This resulted in breakups as soon as a door opened, a light turned on or ignition started.
There's many installations out there that don't have the alarm wire connected at all. I suspect you have the "proper" ground connection missing or connected to the wrong place, and by connecting a ground to the alarm pin you are providing an alternative ground which is making the system work, but you may still have a fault in the adapter.

Many, maybe even most, of the adapters available on the market for converting from Symphony/Concert/Chorus to RNS-E contain wiring errors and/or missing wires. The manufacturers just don't seem to care that their products are wrong - if they did they would have corrected the faults by now!

I'm glad you also found your incorrectly wired amplifier connections - I suspected you had a problem in that area which is why I asked which speakers were affected.

People who have found broken GPS antenna connectors on their RNS-E have opened it up and re-soldered it, maybe that's what you (or get a friend who's an EE to) need to do with your antenna connector?

Do you still have the problem that your unit won't play CD's? Will it read the navigation DVD?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Dave! So how should it be grounded then. Isn´t DWA-GND enough?

The unit will now play the cd's and nav-DVD. Must have been something with the groundwire I guess. Since it swithed itself into a "pause/mute-kind-of-mode" I guess the disc never even got a chance to spin up before. Will now try to find somebody who can re-solder the antenna-connector. Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts