Audi Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my RNS-E set to show SONG TITLE instead of the file name, and for some reason it only shows the song title after the song is selected. Which is sort of pointless because a lot of file names are long and has the band name before the song name so you cant even read it. How do I get this to work properly so it shows me a list of the song titles instead of the file names? Today for the first time, some of my folders actually had just the song names like its supposed to, but that has never happened before... and it was only working like that on my 2nd memory card.

also, since I'm asking questions... is there any way to title a memory card so that it doesnt say "MP3Card1" or "MP3Card2" at the top of the screen? I named the cards, and if i flip down the screen it shows the titles, but then at the top of the screen when i'm playing music it just says mp3card1 or 2.

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
OverSpun said:
I have my RNS-E set to show SONG TITLE instead of the file name, and for some reason it only shows the song title after the song is selected. Which is sort of pointless because a lot of file names are long and has the band name before the song name so you cant even read it. How do I get this to work properly so it shows me a list of the song titles instead of the file names? Today for the first time, some of my folders actually had just the song names like its supposed to, but that has never happened before... and it was only working like that on my 2nd memory card.
It seems that it displays the filename until it has played the song, then it displays song title. That's how both of my RNS-E's have behaved.

OverSpun said:
also, since I'm asking questions... is there any way to title a memory card so that it doesnt say "MP3Card1" or "MP3Card2" at the top of the screen? I named the cards, and if i flip down the screen it shows the titles, but then at the top of the screen when i'm playing music it just says mp3card1 or 2.
Not that I know of. It would be a good feature, I can never remember what I've got on my SD card called "MP3 Music 6".

·
Registered
159 Posts
PetrolDave said:
It seems that it displays the filename until it has played the song, then it displays song title. That's how both of my RNS-E's have behaved.
Does it still display the files in a folder in alphabetical filename order even once it's played them all once and is thus displaying the ID3 tag?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Vertigo1 said:
PetrolDave said:
Does it still display the files in a folder in alphabetical filename order even once it's played them all once and is thus displaying the ID3 tag?
Don't know - I always use playlists, so that controls the display order.

·
Registered
74 Posts
OverSpun said:
I have my RNS-E set to show SONG TITLE instead of the file name, and for some reason it only shows the song title after the song is selected.
This is a bug in the system. Sometimes it'll display song name immediately, other times it'll display filename until song is played. Totally random.

Search the forum. It's been discussed before.

·
Registered
159 Posts
PetrolDave said:
Don't know - I always use playlists, so that controls the display order.
From what I can gather the playlist system is rather clunky so I'm thinking it'd probably be easier to just preface each file with the track number to force the correct playing order.

How do you organise your playlists? I remember someone on here saying that if you placed the lists in the root of the SD card then it would hide the folders so all you'd see was the playlists. This sounds great except I wouldn't want one flat list of albums but to organise them into folders, so each folder would have the requisite MP3 files and the playlist to go with them but from what I can tell this will show me the files aswell as the playlist which isn't really ideal.

When playing a playlist, does the RNS display show the filename, the ID3 tag of the file or the name from the playlist? How about the DIS?

Sorry for all the questions but I don't have an RNS-E to play with yet and I'm looking to get my music organised ahead of delivery so I can just toss it all on an SD card and go when the car arrives :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
This is what I have found that works:
- Playlist files in root directory. Inside the playlist have the song name as you want it displayed and have the filename include the track number at the start of it's name.
- Have each album in it's own folder. The playlists in the root directory point to these directories in the filename.

RNS-E set to display song name, repeat set to All playlists.

With this I always get the song name displayed.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
lt8x7 said:
This is what I have found that works:
- Playlist files in root directory. Inside the playlist have the song name as you want it displayed and have the filename include the track number at the start of it's name.
- Have each album in it's own folder. The playlists in the root directory point to these directories in the filename.

RNS-E set to display song name, repeat set to All playlists.
This is how I organise my SD cards as well.

It keeps all the playlists in the root folder, and each album in it's own separate folder.

I use a piece of freeware called Playlist Creator 3 from oddgravity to create my playlists. Makes creating the playlists a doddle, and you can configure the ID3 tags to display what you want on the RNS-E.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just to clarify, when using playlists presumably the RNS-E displays the name stored in the playlist, rather than the ID3 tag?

Of course the playlist creator will automatically retrieve the tags from the files and create the titles in the playlist file from these but the RNS-E then just uses the playlist description, thus obviating the need to read the tag from the file. Is this correct?

This sounds ideal but I'd rather categorise my playlists by genre than have them all in one huge list. Does it still work if I do this?

Ideally I'd have one folder hierarchy for the files themselves and another for the playlists, so something like this:

\Rock\Album1.m3u
\Rock\Album2.m3u
\Classical\Album3.m3u
\MP3\Album1\Track1.mp3
\MP3\Album1\Track2.mp3
\MP3\Album1\Track3.mp3
\MP3\Album2\Track1.mp3
\MP3\Album2\Track2.mp3
\MP3\Album2\Track3.mp3
\MP3\Album3\Track1.mp3
\MP3\Album3\Track2.mp3
\MP3\Album3\Track3.mp3

So each playlist would refer to the relevant files in the \MP3 folder and subfolders.

This way the top level would show folders for each genre plus one MP3 folder containing all the actual files. I could then browse into the relevant Genre for a list of album playlists.

Would this work?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Bear in mind that the RNS-E has a hard limit of 512 files PLUS folders - so every extra folder is one less track you can put on the SD card.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Good point. I'd lose 1 for the MP3 folder itself plus 1 for each genre but that's a fixed overhead that's not going to amount to much. The real hit will be 2 for every album, one for the playlist and one for the folder containing the files. Spose I could just lump all the MP3 files into a single folder to reduce this to just the playlist as an extra file per album.

Would the above scenario work though? Can't see why not, given what I've read so far.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Vertigo1 said:
Also (sorry), does the RNS-E support ID3V2 tags or is it restricted to V1?
Haven't seen any spec that says what version of ID tags the RNS-E supports.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
This is what my manual said:

The MP3 player supports Versions 1 and 2 of ID3 tags. The display of artist and track name is limited to a total of 64 characters maximum.
However, there are multiple ID3 v2 tag versions and I have seen cases where neither ID3 v2.2 or v2.3 alone made the RNS-E happy. I have to sync the ID3 v2.2 tag to ID3 v1 to make the RNS-E read the tag.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The song display before / after is simple:

ID3 v2.x tags are written to the beginning of a MP3 file, so the RNS-E can read them as the song starts playing.

ID3 v1.x tags are written to the end of the file, so it doesn't see them until the song is done.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts