Audi Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I recently purchased a 2005.5 audi S4 cab with the RNS-E already installed.

The system has a Sirius Tuner installed and the dealer confirmed ( as it was his car ) that he had used it during a trial subscription.

Anyway I called Sirius to subscribe myself and they were able to send the signal which provided me with the stations and the songs playing on them on the screen but I didn't receive any sound...

My FM / AM plays fine as does music stored on the memory cards so I am at a loss.

He did have an aftermarket Ipod connector factory installed but they piped it through the CD inputs which render the 6 disk changer in the glove box inoperative but I can't imagine that would have any impact on the Satellite tuner...

Any ideas or suggestions are much appreciated

Thks

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm not expert, but I believe the sirius tuner uses the same inputs as the cdc for sound..

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
If they unplugged the cable at the head unit you will lose SAT, if they used the plug at the CD changer both SAT and iPod should be working.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But if They unplugged at the head unit would I still be able to see the tuner info on the RNS-E display ?

I would think if something was unplugged that I would get neither music nor station info?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The SAT receover communicates via CAn with the head unit but its audio goes to the CD changer port. When they installed the iPod adapter they likely removed the CD changer plug that has the SAT audio wires. CAN is still connected so you can see and control the receiver but you won't hear anything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks !!!!

That sounds like a definite possibility.

I also confirmed with the guy I bought it from that he never used the Sat after installing the Ipod connector ( although he mentions the dealership told him only the cd changer would be impacted.)

Any idea what a dealer would charge to address that ?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The dealer who installed the iPod adapter should fix it for free because the did it wrong in the first place.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Ted,

So would you recommend purchasing the keys to remove the RNS-E ?

I am still following up with the dealer I purchased the car from to see if the place he had install the ipod adaptor will honor their work.

If not since all the wireing must be there does a novice have a reasonable chance of success without screwing something else up?

If need be I'd even consider removing the ipod interface and reconnecting the cd changer ( since I use the SD cards anyway and they provide menu and song text )

·
Registered
235 Posts
To me, it would seem smarter to simply have the dealership fix it. You run less of a chance of them comming back and telling you that YOU screwed something up and then you don't have any recourse.
Make an appointment, have them fix it.
Get the tools (but don't use them yet)- you'll want them in the future for futher expansion into your system :)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The dealer wont do anything for you. Audi's official stance on the ipod retrofit kit is that it CANNOT be used in conjunction with SAT radio, so they have no reason to fix it for you. I would personally tell the dealership to pull the ipod kit back out and then buy the DICE Kit made for the VW CD changer 12-pin plug. You can then just plug it in to the 12-pin connector behind your glovebox CD changer. By doing this, it will work fine with your SAT radio (assuming the dealership correctly un-installs your existing ipod kit). The DICE kit is better than the Audi kit anyway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just spoke to a local Audi dealer , they want $100 to pull the radio see whats going on and fix it if it looks simple if not it can obviously very quickly cost alot more

NSX you sell the audi radio keys correct ? if so how do I go about purchasing them as I didn't see a way to do so on the website.

Might pull it out myself see if I can identify the correct wires yank the ipod and reconnect the Sirius ones.

Would the dealer typically have left the Sirius wiring in there or yanked the cable out entirely when they connected the Ipod?

Wont know for certain till I pull it just curious

·
Registered
996 Posts
I agree with Lee here. The DICE lets you control the ipod directly and via the rnse. the oem version will only let you control it via the rnse/steering wheel. It's a liability thing for Audi.

if you are to tackle this yourself, you should pull out your rnse and make a note of the loose wires, connectors. If you want, you can post/email pix to Lee and I and we can help you correct what the dealer did.

The wiring charts/diagrams for the rnse are posted on lee's site (www.nsxjr.com). This will help you identify the loose wires/connectors from Connector B.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is it neccesary to buy the dice kit ? is the only benefit that both the ipod connector and satellite will both work or does it simplify the overall rewiring?

I really dont care about having the ipod connector work at all ...

When Lee says its better , how so..sound quality wise?

Thanks for the offer guys I will definitely take you up on it, need to order the RNSE keys from Lee first.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Actually if you just want the keys the simplest way is to check my ebay auction. There's no ebay links allowed here, but I sell them on ebay for $9.99 shipped. If you buy them from my webstore www.vagnav.com then you will pay for UPS shipping and it will be considerably more.

The reason I say go with the DICE kit is because they make a kit that will plug directly into the 12-pin connector behind your glovebox CD changer. If you dont care about the ipod at all, then just pull the whole thing out and sell it. FYI, you will NOT be able to get the ipod pins out of the little black plug behind your radio without a speical tool. If you really dont want ipod I would go to your dealer and ask them to just remove it AND plug back in the three sat radio audio wires that will be loose behind your radio.

·
Registered
996 Posts
NSX JR said:
Actually if you just want the keys the simplest way is to check my ebay auction. There's no ebay links allowed here, but I sell them on ebay for $9.99 shipped. If you buy them from my webstore www.vagnav.com then you will pay for UPS shipping and it will be considerably more.

The reason I say go with the DICE kit is because they make a kit that will plug directly into the 12-pin connector behind your glovebox CD changer. If you dont care about the ipod at all, then just pull the whole thing out and sell it. FYI, you will NOT be able to get the ipod pins out of the little black plug behind your radio without a speical tool. If you really dont want ipod I would go to your dealer and ask them to just remove it AND plug back in the three sat radio audio wires that will be loose behind your radio.
Was the 2005.5 offered with the RNSE as a factory option? I forget.

It sounds like it was added by the previous owner and the Audi ipod adaptor was installed by the dealer before the RNSE was added.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Yes, Cabrio and S4 got the RNS-E with in the last B6 year.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.