Audi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally have most of the parts for the BT install in my B6 S4, but as I look through the forum (and maybe I missed something), I don't really see a well documented BT install. I did see the posts by Proxus but the pics of the wiring end of it are not clear as to what goes where and what actually plugs in to what else. I'm wondering if someone has a true step by step, plug by plug documentation of the install.

As I mentioned, I have most of the parts, the interface, mic and the antennae. The only thing I'm missing is the cable. Does anyone know where I can get just the cable alone. I saw it on Kufatec but it said that it was for the A3. Will this work?

And I'm sure I have a mic in the dome light area since my car has On-Star (though not in use). Has anyone run the BT microphone to this area? If so, how do you extend the microphone cable? I mean, what type of wire do you use?

Sorry for the green questions, but I certainly don't want to mess this up. I want to go into it knowing exactly how to do it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
If you don't use OnStar then you should be able to replace the OnStar interface with the BT interface. All you need in this case is the BT interface, BT antenna and the 54pin plug. That's all theory so far because I still haven't started which my OnStar to BT upgrade. In any case, the microphone is the same but can only be connected to either interface.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Under passenger seat in electronics box

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol... I posted on the AW forum also because I didn't know how quickly you'd reply. The 54 pin plug.... Is this something that needs to be purchased?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Boy you guys are good! Thank you!

If this doesn't work, I'll have to do it the old fashioned way (lol). Besides Kufatec, is there another place I can get the BT cable alone. I've seen a kit being sold, but not the cable by itself. And the one that Kufatec has says its for the A3. Shouldn't they all be the same?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Euro-parts.us has the Kufatec stuff. And yes, it's a 10mm triple square socket to get the seat out.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
If you don't use onstar... just replace the telematics module with the BT module. All you have to do is remove some pins from the 42-pin telematics plug and replace them correctly into the 54-pin plug. Then connect the 54-pin plug to the BT module, plug in your BT antenna and you're all set... no other wiring needed.

BT Tel module (54-pin)....Connection....Existing TEL connector (42 -pin)

1....KL.30....39 or 40
2....KL.31....18 or 19
8....NF OUT+....10
9....NF OUT-....31
11....MIC IN+....12
12....MIC IN-....33
15....K....13
16....Mute....34
17....CAN H....9
18....CAN L....30

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't thank you two enough.

NSX JR, have you done this or know anyone who has? And, coding the car, will this be any different than in the other posts on the forum?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I have not done this personally, but I have done a similar install with my older analog phone connector. There have been other discussions on the topic of the 42-pin to 54-pin conversion, but I have not heard of anyone actually doing the work.

Based on my experience with Audi, and with wiring diagrams, I have every instinct that this will work perfectly.

The coding will be just like any other BT install. You'll also have to tell your car that the telmatics module has been "uninstalled".

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I almost forgot... What tool is used to remove and replace pins?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
A tiny screwdriver, knife blade, or safety pin. These pins only have one locking tab and it's easy to see how once you're actually doing the work.

The outer housing must be removed to gain access to the pins.

·
Registered
87 Posts
NSX JR said:
I have not done this personally, but I have done a similar install with my older analog phone connector. There have been other discussions on the topic of the 42-pin to 54-pin conversion, but I have not heard of anyone actually doing the work.

Based on my experience with Audi, and with wiring diagrams, I have every instinct that this will work perfectly.

The coding will be just like any other BT install. You'll also have to tell your car that the telmatics module has been "uninstalled".
Isn't the BLuetooth module consider "telemetics?" Guess i figured replacing my Telemetics "onstar" with telemetics "BT" would mean no recoding needed.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
In #17 channel 62 there are two different entries, +2 for phone and +8 for Telematics. Only one of both options should be enabled at any time.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
gregtay said:
NSX JR said:

Isn't the BLuetooth module consider "telemetics?" Guess i figured replacing my Telemetics "onstar" with telemetics "BT" would mean no recoding needed.
Nope, two different things. The BT module does not have telematics functions. They also have two different addresses within VAG-COM. Therefore, by pulling the 42-pin connector and "stealing" pins from it, you will be disengaging all telematics functions of your car (onstar).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Another possible option (which I partially did) is route CAT5 plus PWR/GND lines to the trunk. Buy the 54pin connector wire it up and you're done.

I routed the CAT5 under the driver side trim. I didn't even remove the trim. I just shoved it under. Then routed under the backseat hinge and into the trunk. Kline can terminate at the ODBII port. Mic+/- continue up the Apillar (again just pushing wires into apillar with blunt tool or butter knife). And the other wires go behind the RNS-E for hookup.

·
Registered
87 Posts
So do i have to remove the passenger seat to get to the electronics box?.. or can i just more the seat forward/back? (do i have to remove the carpet to get to it?)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts