Audi Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked my Audi dealer for a quote to wire my RNS-E retrofit to the factory sharkfin, and he claims they would need to replace the sharkfin with a different model that has the GPS receiver built in, as well as add a new wiring harness. Does an antenna w/o GPS receiver exist? Or is he misinformed? He quoted me $1500-2000 for parts plus labor, sounds excessive.

I was never able to find the blue GPS antenna connector in the trunk area where the sat receiver connectors are prewired, but I never took the trim piece out either.

This is on an '06 A3 btw.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't believe the dealer, pick up a gps extension cable from an online store (6 meters) should suffice, and do it yourself. Shouldn't cost more than $30 for the cable. Route the cable yourself from the top right rear pillar, will take about 30 minutes to do. You have to remove trim, that's the slowest and most detailed part. The dealer also told me it's impossible to retrofit my car for nav, and if i wanted to it would cost $15000. A week later i did it myself in about 30 minutes.
Cheers

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I know that it should be possible in theory. I hope I'll have some time to dig for the antenna connector one of these days. Somebody tried to look this up in the bentley manuals before, but they apparently only cover the 3dr A3, not the sportsback. I peeked into the area it is supposed to be in, but couldn't find anything. I'll keep looking :)

Any more specific info on the A3 would be appreciated though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts