Audi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i brought my sharkfin from ebay.de.. the newer ones that come on the B7A4 style.

2 questions.

1. What are the 4 wires each for, dark pink, brown, green and blue. I'm going to be only using the blue one for the gps antenna so what are the rest for? I imagine one is for phone.. how about the other 2.

2. Why is the wire for the dark pink one shorteR?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry ted i knew about the blue but forgot the rest. read up the post again now thanks.

I know you've installed the sharkfin already where did you tuck the wires they seem awfully long.. ~20" each

·
Registered
996 Posts
adrianma said:
sorry ted i knew about the blue but forgot the rest. read up the post again now thanks.

I know you've installed the sharkfin already where did you tuck the wires they seem awfully long.. ~20" each
Did you mean 20'' (this means inches..not feet). :)

I had to get my fin repainted to match my exterior. You can actually remove the outer shell (8 torx screws) and have a body shop paint it for your. I am finishing my install this weekend. Can't wait. I'll have to drill a larger hole in my roof..to replace the whip antenna...but it's no big deal.

I have a combination of 6M and 2M lengths:

1) SAT tuner (TER and SAT): two sets 2M
2) GPS: One 6M
3) Cellphone/GSM: Not really needed but I found a cable one ebay.de that I'll have for future use (i've already given you the details in a previous post)

I'll have a detailed pdf available as soon as possible.

-ted

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
TeddyBGame said:
I had to get my fin repainted to match my exterior. You can actually remove the outer shell (8 torx screws) and have a body shop paint it for your. I am finishing my install this weekend. Can't wait. I'll have to drill a larger hole in my roof..to replace the whip antenna...but it's no big deal.
There's a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) that advises Audi dealers NOT to dismantle the sharkfin antenna for repainting, but doesn't give reasons.

Does your dismantled and re-assembled sharkfin work OK, Ted?

·
Registered
996 Posts
yes...I've read that...a few times. They posted that TSB because they didn't want dealers swapping the original painted fin "cap" from the old to the new antenna. That's pretty much the premise of it.

I had the dealer paint if for me (for free)...just the cap. I test my antenna for GPS and SAT before and after I removed the cap...and no issues.

I'll post more detailed pix after I finish the install. Stay tuned.

-ted

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it possible to get just the 'cap' of the older style of antenna, the one that looks like a sharkfiN? (the one I have now has a large flat base and a little triangle 'wing', i actually look the look of the older one better

Ted, let me know if 6M is enough to wire it to the front! I'll be ordering my cable next week

good luck with the install!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts