Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the exact mounting location of the sharkfin antenna. I have a 2002 A6 B5 and am thinking of buying one but i don't know exactly where to drill the hole to mount the antenna.Right now i have my antenna mounted under my dash and i get an average of about 6 satelite but in the NYC area i only average 2 at best. I really would like to do this mod could someone help me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Antenna fitment

If you purchase one of my kits available in the FOR SALE section I will send you all the measurements to put the hole in the right spot. Is it a sedan or avant?

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have the A4 Saloon and had the gps under the dash i then bought the Audi Sharfin and mounted it and pick up 7 - 8 sats constant much better :D

·
Registered
345 Posts
I bought it on the German Ebay, on my car A4 there is a marking posistion on the inside of the roof above the rear overhead lights take the lights out and you will see where it is to be drilled.

use a cone cutter drill bit it will not rip the metal as it cuts it and it cuts the holes out in stages small through to the size you want i think was 22mm

·
Registered
142 Posts
I found a great site you can order Shark Fin antenna for your Audi. Since VW use same Shark Fin for Jetta/GTI/Passat I found a dealer that sells it for very good prices

If you only want the GPS/FM Shark Fin antenna its a deal.

There is 2 different one
1. Black Version $100.52
2 Paintable Version (Primed can be painted for your car color $139

You can save $39 if you spray primer and paint it.

I would go with the Audi Shark Fin but too $$$ money and I dont need the GSM/SAT antenna as I will never use XM/Sirus radio as the tuner is way over there price.

Once I get mine installed I will take pictures step by step how to install shark Fin antenna I'm getting the shark Fin this week and take it to bodyshop to paint the shark fin :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Bumping this one....
Again, has anybody removed the roof panel, drilled a hole and retrofitted the sharkfin antenna? Would be nice to get a short summary on how you did it...

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I think bah35uk was the only one so far who retrofit the OEM antenna. But his car was an A3.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
TDI-Power said:
Bumping this one....
Again, has anybody removed the roof panel, drilled a hole and retrofitted the sharkfin antenna? Would be nice to get a short summary on how you did it...
In his post further up this thread livefour2day said that he did not have to remove the roof panel to make the hole on his A4.

livefour2day said:
I bought it on the German eBay, on my car A4 there is a marking posistion on the inside of the roof above the rear overhead lights take the lights out and you will see where it is to be drilled.

use a cone cutter drill bit it will not rip the metal as it cuts it and it cuts the holes out in stages small through to the size you want i think was 22mm.

·
Registered
142 Posts
So on the A4's you dont take the whole roof panal to dril? you take the back seat light out by unscrewing and there is a mark to put your shark fin?

Is there a picture of that anywhere?

Thanks

·
Registered
345 Posts
If you remove your rear overhead light you will see the hardboad lining (to reduce outside noise) that is above the whole of the roof lining there is a hole cut out (done at Audi factory) where the sharkfin passes through. that is where the sharkfin is to be fitted i will take my light out and take some pics for you in the next day or so.

it is very simple to do from the inside of the car in the centre of the hole of the hardboard lining push a sharp point upwards just enough to make a small bump on the outside of the roof this is your centre mark for the cone cutter.

IMPORTANT !!!! only use a cone cutter to do this it will remove the metal in small stages and is easy to use than differant size drill bits.

It will scare the hell out of you but i can assure you it is really easy measure and check 3 or 4 times just to make sure.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I took some quick pics but its dark and raining here in the UK Sorry :D

Here is the genuine Audi sharkfin i retro fitted to my A4 (B6)
[siteimg:a5e6275b2b]605[/siteimg:a5e6275b2b]

Here is the sharfin from the inside note the factory hole cut out in the hardboard this is behind the roof lining you dont have to remove the head lining at all to fit the sharfin
[siteimg:a5e6275b2b]604[/siteimg:a5e6275b2b]

·
Registered
142 Posts
Did you cut from inside or outside? do you know what the each corner cut size are?

Thank you for the pics and your awesome.

·
Registered
345 Posts
measure centre of the hole which is cut out in the headlining hardboard so measure vertically and find centre then measure horizontally and find centre, mark this with a pencil so you form a small cross then with a sharp pointed tool (we call them a centre punch) push from the inside of your car againsnt the metal of your roof just enough to make a small bump in the outside of the roof, go outside and check with a tape measure it is centre to the width of the car roof, you will find its within 5mm once you are happy its centre drill on a slow speed to begin with the hole right on the small bump.

the cone cutter will make its own pilot hole and will start to cut a bigger hole as it progress down the cone you need to make a hole 22mm.

When you reach 22mm remove any metal shavings still attached, a usefull thing i did was get a paint spray can lid put it in the head lining where you are going to drill, it will catch all the shavings so the dont go into the head lining.

then i painted the drilled hole with a touch up paint to the same colour as my car i got it from Audi, just to make sure no rust forms.

and then when its dry fit your sharfin, the rest is just connect the wires up

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just installed my shark fin antenna and like to share some pictures I dont know how to post the pictures here can someone tell me?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
msharifi said:
I just installed my shark fin antenna and like to share some pictures I dont know how to post the pictures here can someone tell me?

Thanks
The easiest way is to go to http://www.photobucket.com/, register there and upload some photos. Each photo will have the tag you need (IMG), so simply copy that tag, create a new message here, click the img button here, past your tag and click the img button to close the tag.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts