Audi Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a great site you can order Shark Fin antenna for your Audi. Since VW use same Shark Fin for Jetta/GTI/Passat I found a dealer that sells it for very good prices. There not cheap made

If you only want the GPS/FM Shark Fin antenna its a deal.

There is 2 different one
1. Black Version $100.52
2 Paintable Version (Primed can be painted for your car color $139

You can save $39 if you spray primer and paint it.

I would go with the Audi Shark Fin but too $$$ money and I dont need the GSM/SAT antenna as I will never use XM/Sirus radio as the tuner is way over there price.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Yes, some of the "fin" antennas on the new Jetta's and Passats have SAT (XM or Sirius) but no GPS. The shape is very similar to the current submarine fin antennas found on the new Audi's except for a few minor things:

- primed grey
- visible rubber seal around the base of the antenna (Audi version has the rubber seals near the hole in the roof)

In both cases, the outer cap of both antenna's can be removed and painted to match your car's exterior.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The one I have has Red and Blue red for FM/Blue for NAV but no XM/Sirus I asked the tech

·
Registered
996 Posts
msharifi said:
The one I have has Red and Blue red for FM/Blue for NAV but no XM/Sirus I asked the tech
Actually

RED: Onstar/Telematics/GSM (probably not even used in your car)
Blue: GPS

None of the Audi/VW's use these new Sharkfins for any radio reception. They have defaulted to putting the AM/FM radio antenna's in the rear glass.

Can you list the part# of the subfin that you installed?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TeddyBGame said:
msharifi said:
Actually

RED: Onstar/Telematics/GSM (probably not even used in your car)
Blue: GPS

None of the Audi/VW's use these new Sharkfins for any radio reception. They have defaulted to putting the AM/FM radio antenna's in the rear glass.

Can you list the part# of the subfin that you installed?

I went to the Orange County Auto Show and saw all the Audi's that with the RNS-E or the MMI Nav with no SAT radio had my Shark Fin antenna.

I have to find the part number but so far I get solid 8 signal much better then the regular gps antenna inside the car.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
All new Audis are prewired for SAT radio, and thus their roof antennas are also SAT ready. There is no sharkfin or submarine antenna that includes analog radio (AM/FM) reception because there is no way to make the antenna long enough within that small enclosure.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
NSX JR said:
All new Audis are prewired for SAT radio, and thus their roof antennas are also SAT ready.
Only in the US!!! (and Canada?), certainly not in Europe - where there is no SAT radio service.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NSX JR said:
All new Audis are prewired for SAT radio, and thus their roof antennas are also SAT ready. There is no sharkfin or submarine antenna that includes analog radio (AM/FM) reception because there is no way to make the antenna long enough within that small enclosure.
All New Audi will have the prewired SharkFin or Submarine if you get the SAT package. Most likely it will come with Submarine type.

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Parts for the Shark fin retrofit "A3 8P" --> "S3 8L"

A German ebay seller (S3 owner) sells them on ebay.

Look for the following on ebay.
"Original Audi/VW Triplex Navi Haifischantenne TOP OPTIK"
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200003744476

I actually bought mine from my local dealer, as shipping from Germany was too expensive.

Part # for the aerial is 8P0 035 503 L
Part # for the nut is 8D9 035 437

Part # 33815 for the GPS extension cable is "Verlängerung Fakra auf Fakra" @ http://www.kufatec.de/

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: The triplex antenna - 8P0 035 503E, what are the connectors?

darx said:
On this Antenna (from a A3 07) what are the connectors?

http://www.ts85.de/ebay/antenne/antenne1.jpg

Blue - GPS?
Purple?
Mustard?
I'm just going to guess here, but maybe GPS, Satellite Radio and Telephone?

I know when I took the rear panels out of my car (06 A3) I found the purple and blue connectors behind it by where the satellite radio module goes. So I’m going to assume purple and blue are for GPS and satellite radio. The other one though I’m not sure, but my guess is a phone antenna (I don't have a cell phone so I’m not fully sure how that all works in the car)

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Purple is GSM, blue is GPS, SAT should be black and white so the curry colored Fakra could be the antenna wire for the remote control of the optional heater.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
xtorted said:
wow, we can get heated antennas? i had no idea there was such a thing.
No, the antenna is never heated. There can be an OEM heater installed in the engine bay that can be started via timer or remote. The interface for that heater then gets connected to the curry FAKRA to allow the remote to work. The other option is to configure the heater via DIS/menu switch next to the cigarette lighter. AFAIK this option is not available in North America and would not work with a SAT enabled shark fin.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Re: The triplex antenna - 8P0 035 503E, what are the connectors?

xtorted said:
darx said:
On this Antenna (from a A3 07) what are the connectors?

http://www.ts85.de/ebay/antenne/antenne1.jpg

Blue - GPS?
Purple?
Mustard?
I'm just going to guess here, but maybe GPS, Satellite Radio and Telephone?

I know when I took the rear panels out of my car (06 A3) I found the purple and blue connectors behind it by where the satellite radio module goes. So I’m going to assume purple and blue are for GPS and satellite radio. The other one though I’m not sure, but my guess is a phone antenna (I don't have a cell phone so I’m not fully sure how that all works in the car)
I really wonder if the smaller subfin will support SAT too? I've take apart a few of these and based on the antenna in this auction, I don't see how the smaller version can support (in US) SAT (XM/Sirius).

The fin part (vertical piece) is for GSM/Telematics and the horizontal base is for GPS. I wonder if they shrunk the size of the GPS and SAT portions to fit. I've seen two B7's, one with the larger subfin and one with the smaller subfin; the larger subfin was prewired for SAT and I'm not sure about the smaller subfin.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.