Audi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I powered up my RNS-E on the bench the only option for setting the clock was from GPS, now I have it installed in my 2004 B6 S4 Avant the only option for setting the clock is from the instrument cluster.

So why has the option to set the clock from GPS disappeared?

To me it would seem best to set the RNS-E AND instrument cluster clocks from the GPS (using the GMT offset to correct for local time zone)
- that's one of the most accurate clocks there is. 8)

How can I get the option to set the clock from GPS back again? :?:

·
Registered
17 Posts
You can't.... :(
The raison why the GPS clock is synchronized with the clock in the cluster is : In Europe Clock in the instrument cluster is set thru waves by the Atomic Clock of Brunswick, Germany, the most exact clock in the world.

·
Registered
8 Posts
allroadusa said:
You can't.... :(
The raison why the GPS clock is synchronized with the clock in the cluster is : In Europe Clock in the instrument cluster is set thru waves by the Atomic Clock of Brunswick, Germany, the most exact clock in the world.
I'm in Germany and I have to set the clock. I think you have bad info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
HI,

I'm in the UK with a geman spec car. And when I re-connect the instrument cluster the clock will set itself within the next 10 minutes. It'll set itselft one hour ahead to german time tho. ;-) There is also an Antenna symbol in the corner of the clock. So I guess it must get a international Clock signal from somewhere not ONLY from Germany.

Rgs,
Dave

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
German spec cars have the option for a RF clock module attached to the insturment cluster which receives the exact German time from an atomic clock in Germany. As far as I know, this is Germany only and works only with the time in Germany. Since the signal can be received across borders, It may be present in countries surrounding Germany as well. If you don't have a German spec Audi you most likely don't have that RF module. It's also only present in certain Audi models.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I reset my clock just by disconecting battery for few minutes.
My RNS-E clock was off, but once I disconected baterry my cluster clock was synchronized with RNS-E.

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PROXUS said:
I reset my clock just by disconecting battery for few minutes.
My RNS-E clock was off, but once I disconected baterry my cluster clock was synchronized with RNS-E.
Did the RNS-E synchronise from the cluster - or the cluster from the RNS-E?

The RNS-E will have got a valid time from it's GPS signal. It's possible that ONLY if the cluster has not been set (flashing 12:00) that the cluster will synchronise to the RNS-E.

The option to synchronise the cluster from the RNS-E doesn't appear in the Setup menu. When the RNS-E is not connected to a car (i.e. testing on the bench) it has a "use GPS time" setting, but when it's connected in a car that disappears and is automatically replaced by a "use instrument cluster time" setting.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
There were one or two references on the forums where someone said you could choose whether ot not to get the time from GPS or from the cluster. Those were when EU sw 0050 was the newest release and it could be that Audi has removed this option from newer software releases. At least the option to choose the time source is not there anymore and since AUdi doesn't want someone to retrofit the RNS-E I doubt that this option will come back in a future release.

In my tests I have seen the RNS-E taking the time from GPS if not connected to my car. Once installed it found the cluster and took it from there with in a few seconds. The only exception to this might be clusters which don't support the time over CAN, like the B5 cluster do. In those cars the RNS-E seems to be confused because it sees the cluster but doesn't get the time signal and never synch up correctly unless you disconnect the battery at midnight and start both at the same time.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
RNS-E synchronize to the cluster.
Time is reset to 12:00 and when you adjust time on the cluster, your RNS-E clock is adjusted as well ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm not certain that on the B5 disconnecting the battery will work. At least on my car it seems the RNS-E clock will pick a different time everytime I power it up again. There doesn't seem to be a consistent offset between the cluster and the RNS-E.

Also, if I walk away from the car for only a few minutes the RNS-E it not ready to go. It doesn't seem to wait for 30min before shutting down.

B5 anomolies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts