Audi Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about 10 years late into the game in retrofitting a RNS-E into my B5 S4, and would like to use the CANGate module from bjarne. As many of you know he stopped making them in late 2011. Do you or anyone have a spare one on hand that you'd be willing to sell?

I know it's a long shot but I am hoping...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have yet to install the RNS-E into my car, waiting on a few items. Meanwhile I did a bit of research, including reading the Audi B5 A4/S4 Bentley manual wiring diagrams. It turns out I may not need a CANGate after all.

For B5 model year 2001, on cars equipped with the optional BNS (basic navigation system with Navi/CD reader in the trunk), the Symphony radio, the Navi unit and the instrument cluster CAN bus are all wired up from the factory. My car has the BNS, so it looks like there is no need to use a CAN gateway or a CAN simulator. All that is required is that the RNS-E adapter be wired from the factory radio harness CAN lines to the RNS-E quadlock connector.

Hopefully this turns out to be true. I will then have synchronized clocks between the instrument cluster and the RNS-E, proper turn on/off handling, button illumination, and instrument cluster display (DIS) of radio, navi and phone information.

The RNS-E will be replacing the BNS, so I'll be removing the latter from the trunk. I will also be retrofitting an OEM bluetooth module, and mount it in the location vacated by the BNS. The existing (unplugged) BNS wire harness plugs has the CAN lines, as well as the K line, power/ground, etc., so I just need to make a custom adapter cable to connect these to the bluetooth module, and from the bluetooth module to the factory telephone pre-wiring (DB25 connector).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wrong. It turns out I do need bjarne's CANGate. I installed my RNS-E and bluetooth, everything is working great except the clock on the RNS-E is almost always wrong.

The only way to get a CANGate now is to find someone who has a spare, removed it from car due to sale, or parted out the car. It's a long shot, but the clock mismatch problem is driving me nuts.

Do you, or know someone who is willing to sell me a CANGate? Help out a fellow Audi guy and RNS-E owner and please PM me!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got a bjarne CANGate, installed it and the time issue is solved. The CANGate is also set up to turn off the RNS-E when the ignition key is removed, not when it's turned off. I like this behavior much better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts