Audi Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In regards to bluetooth modules, it seems the early versions of the BT modules only give 'basic functionality'. Does basic functionality allow the use of the MFSW controls in a B7 A4? Will the phone book appear in the RNS-E screen?

I have searched and have not been able to find a definitve answer as to what is lost by having only basic functionality.

TIA

·
Registered
479 Posts
As far as I can work out it means it will send and receive calls but you have no access to you phone's address book. You might be able to read the sim card but you need a fairly new Bluetooth module to read the phone's full address book.

Dave

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
"Basic functionality" means that you cannot control the phone from the RNS-E at all, nor can you access any of the calls lists or the phone book from the RNS-E.

Unless you have an MFSW basic functionality is about as useful as a chocolate teapot, i.e. useless.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Both of the above are slightly inaccurate....

Basic functionality is the "Bluetooth Hands Free" profile only. You can make and receive calls through the bluetooth. No phone book transfer and hence no MFSW control of the phone book etc. This is usually down to the phone, not the phone module. The phone has to support the extended AT commands to retrieve the phonebook, operator logo, signal strength etc.

The two different phone modules are the comfort (RNS-E) and non comfort (Concert II etc). They will both transfer the phone book with the right phone, just that the non comfort will not code or integrate with the RNS-E.

So that basically it, dependant on phone you will get full functionality "Hands Free" + Phonebook or drop back to the basic "Hands free".

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To all, thanks for the response.

So it appears with 'basic functionality', calls can be answered and dropped via the MFSW and all dialing functions would be via the phone's handset. However, if the phone supports extended AT commands, the numbers stored in the phone's memory MIGHT be accessible through the RNS-E and retrieved (dialed) via the MFSW or RNS-e controls. Does this sound accurate?

For the record, I currently use a Motorola V3. Of course this is subject to change in the next several years. I suppose it would be most beneficial to get the latest version of BT module with the hope it would remain compatible with future phones.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts