Audi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this particular scenario has been covered previously, if so, my apologies.

I have a C5 allroad with retrofitted RNS-E (193B) unit, OEM BT module (replaced the OnStar with some modifications to the wiring harness), MFSW, Sirius/XM, AMI all integrated with OEM pieces and wiring in relatively good concert with each other.
Reading some forums, I saw that SDS can be activated with MK2 units and I started to dig deeper.
My MFSW has a "voice control button" as the car came from the factory with OnStar, my mic is in there dome panel and it is currently working fine with just the telephone module, i.e. I can press the button on the steering wheel and activate voice control but it is limited to just the telephone.
On the back of the RNS-E there is 2 Mic Ins and 2 Mics Out, one for telephone and one for voice control, so I was wondering if adding another mic to the dome and wiring it to the RNS-E MicIn/MicOut is all it takes to add additional voice control for the unit?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not sure if this particular scenario has been covered previously, if so, my apologies.

I have a C5 allroad with retrofitted RNS-E (193B) unit, OEM BT module (replaced the OnStar with some modifications to the wiring harness), MFSW, Sirius/XM, AMI all integrated with OEM pieces and wiring in relatively good concert with each other.
Reading some forums, I saw that SDS can be activated with MK2 units and I started to dig deeper.
My MFSW has a "voice control button" as the car came from the factory with OnStar, my mic is in there dome panel and it is currently working fine with just the telephone module, i.e. I can press the button on the steering wheel and activate voice control but it is limited to just the telephone.
On the back of the RNS-E there is 2 Mic Ins and 2 Mics Out, one for telephone and one for voice control, so I was wondering if adding another mic to the dome and wiring it to the RNS-E MicIn/MicOut is all it takes to add additional voice control for the unit?
Sorry, upon more searching I figured out my RNS-E unit should not have an SDS and partial voice (telephone only) is all I can expect it to do

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, it seems I'm talking to myself here but here is another thought that hopefully makes more sense and one of the gurus here would easily answer.
My current setup for BT was done before my RNS-E retrofit and I upgraded OnStar to BT module with minimal wiring modifications. Now looking back that means that the microphone int he dome panel was never routed to the back of the head unit and was on the circuit connecting OnStar (now BT) and MFSW only.
What I decide to do it properly (and regardless whether there is SDS or not) wire mic via the RNS-E and into the BT? Will that make more sense?
Not that it does not work as intended now, as I can press the voice button on the MFSW and talk to my BT module but in a scenario outlined above the same will be achieved but keeping RNS-E "in the loop", won't it?
This will also probably help me to get rid of the pesky code in the Telephone module 77saying I have "open circuit to the mic"

·
Registered
19 Posts
I hooked my Bluetooth up just like you did but originally with a Gen 1 RNS-E. I've since upgraded to the Gen2 (2010+ I think) RNS-E but I don't have a MFSW. Would be nice to have voice control.

·
Registered
2016 A4 Allroad Premium Plus
2 Posts
Hello Pokrovsky:: I couldn't make sense of any of your jargon with abbreviations sprinkled throughout the text . What's a C5 Allroad, for openers. I drive an A4 Allroad; what's a C5??
Etc, etc, etc.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Paolo38: C5 is fifth generation of an A6 platform from the '98 - 2005 era
hahnmgh63: I will make a loom and re-route the mic via RNS-E and see if there is any difference

1 - 6 of 6 Posts