Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally I found some free time to get to RNS-E SDS functionality :D
This is short video with basic functionality (flash plug in required to see video)

[flash width=400 height=326 loop=false:9e50473fa4]http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=8699437868476651971[/flash:9e50473fa4]

Of course there is more options available which are PHONE-AUDI BT INTERFACE dependent. In simply words you can dial by name via SDS if your phone doesn't transfer phonebook to Audi BT interface.

REQUIREMENTS:

:arrow: Audi Bluetooth TEL interface (B / G or J)
:arrow: Multifunction steering wheel (with VOICE button)
:arrow: SDS enabled RNS-E

CONNECTION:

Controling TEL functionality:
To use SDS for TEL interface you don't need to modify your current setup. Microphone need to be connected to TEL interface and VAG coding need to be changed to allow VOICE CONTROL

Controling RNS-E functionality
Microphone need to be connecter to RNS-E unit (connector C). Unit need to be SDS ready with proper firmware.

NOTE: I didn't proceed with full testing but from my observations SDS protocols are separated into 2 firmwares. Telephone module firmware include TEL commands used for SDS and RNS-E firmware include SDS comands for control of the unit. I seriously doubt that MIC conected to TEL interface will be able to control unit. Mostlikely MIC need to be reconnected to connector C of RNS-E (I wil test it once I will have more time)

VAG CODING:

NAVIGATION - 0302643
TEL INTERFACE - 010877
STEERING WHEEL - 04121

Numbers related to SDS functionality are in BOLD

BASIC TEL COMMANDS:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Very cool although it seems a big slow...seems like it would take a while to dial a number.

Can you dial by name? And do you need to record each name into the RNS-E or is it pretty good at recognizing speech?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:D it is not slow, I just took extra time to force SDS to tell me what commands are available. Once you click you will hear beep and you can talk without waiting for her to ask about command.

You can dial by name too. If your phone is pairing with TEL system 100% and phonebook is transfered, you can just say "SELECT NAME" and she will ask for a name. It will dial right away.

I was kind of scared that speech recognition will be poor due to MIC location and outside noise (not counting my accent :D) but to my suprise recognition is PHENOMENAL! =D>

You don't need to speak directly or specially loud and if "she" will not understand, you will be asked to repeat.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I just thought it was a little slow how "she" repeated each number after you said it...is there an option to turn that off?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't try yet but I would think you could say whole number.
I wil test it in the minute. ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
What functions of the RNS-E have you been able to get working? Your video is just the voice recognition for the BT module. People have had that working for some time now.

·
Registered
114 Posts
PROXUS said:
You can dial by name too. If your phone is pairing with TEL system 100% and phonebook is transfered, you can just say "SELECT NAME" and she will ask for a name. It will dial right away.
That is a bit odd. When I dial by name on my unit I have to prerecord the names first. Are you using the newer BT module?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You need to read carefully...I tested only SDS based on TEL interface firmwware. It is oldest B unit for US market. Looks like all US TEL interfaces are SDS enabled because B was the first one.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HX_Guy said:
I just thought it was a little slow how "she" repeated each number after you said it...is there an option to turn that off?
You can say whole sequences (area code + 3 digits + 4 digits or whatever you want) and she will repeat. If you want to correct mistake and say "BACK"
she will delete last sequence.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bfly said:
PROXUS said:
That is a bit odd. When I dial by name on my unit I have to prerecord the names first. Are you using the newer BT module?
You have 3 ways of dialing numbers:

1. By spelling phone number
2. By name - stored in phonebook (only available for compatible phones)
3. By name - stored in TEL interface memory (prerecorded)

·
Registered
737 Posts
I've had this working in my car ever since I hooked up my OEM BT kit. I thought that with SDS you could control the phone plus the following:

Volume UP/DOWN
Navigation
Radio
Next track/Previous track
etc.

So will I even need to find a SDS unit? If I can't control the other functions of the RNS-E then I'm not really sure that I want to get the SDS unit.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes you can if you connect your MIC via RNS-E.
TEL Interface itself is not going to act as a gateway for RNS-E unit commands.

·
Registered
737 Posts
PROXUS said:
Yes you can if you connect your MIC via RNS-E.
TEL Interface itself is not going to act as a gateway for RNS-E unit commands.

I want to see this in action for controlling the radio and navigation. This would save me some money if I can.

·
Registered
114 Posts
PROXUS said:
bfly said:
PROXUS said:
You have 3 ways of dialing numbers:

1. By spelling phone number
2. By name - stored in phonebook (only available for compatible phones)
3. By name - stored in TEL interface memory (prerecorded)
I have a 'G' BT module and a phone that is transfering the phonebook to the car and yet only have options 1 and 2 working.

Like todd1010 said, I'd like to see it controlling the RNS-E. BT voice control has been working for some time now.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well...even you guys had it working, obviously nobody made any summary about TEL SDS functionality so I guess this post is very much in place.

about RNS-E full control for radio, volume etc. ....
You CAN NOT use TEL interface as a RNS-E gateway, but you can use RNS-E as a gateway for TEL interface.
If you want full functionality you need to switch your MIC to connector C on the NAV unit.

Even if MIC will be connected to RNS-E there is stil no warranty that unit will work right away or firmware update will be necessary. Newest US units ver. J supose to be SDS ready but I just wonder if Audi meant by that HW or HW+SW. If I wil find some free time I will reconnect my MIC and play with the rest of that.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Proxus,

Nice summary and pictures but as others said, that's not SDS what you are using. That's the normal, always available voice control for the phone interface. Nohting special required, not even an RNS-E (works with Symphony/Concert as well). I would say that they shouldn't have called the voice help SDS Help but I guess that's the way it is.

SDS is a package you can oder in Europe to control the RNS-E (navigation, radio, MP3) via voice. In this case the mic is connected to the mic in pin on the RNS-E. As a side effect SDS can control the tel interface as well but only if the RNS-E mic out wires are connected to the tel interface.

Again, while it's greart that you got your B7 wheel and voice control working in your B6, this is not what's usually called SDS.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know it is missleading but werever we like it or not, thats what they call it :D

As you know the main designer of SDS systems is Harman/Becker GmbH. They are in most part involved in production of Bluetooth systems and fully involved in architecture of SDS. New MMI system control is pretty much designed by them.

In other hand we have Aisin which was involved in development of RNS-E.
I would say that it is more SDS in TEL interface and MMI than ever will be in RNS-E :D lol

I will be very disapointed if after all this fuss about controling unit functions with voice we will end up with volume up/down. This is already available via MFSW. Same with track selection.

...but lets try and find out ;)

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
By the way ...I was digging through old stuff and I found this picture

[siteimg:e707c1aae5]321[/siteimg:e707c1aae5]

do you know where this is coming from? EU firmware maybe?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
That should be the old style phone interface, with US sw 0020/0040 and Euro sw 0160 or older.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I've Tel. Interface SDS function active since last year and every day Imake calls with it but I don't think my RNS-E C(HW.50 SW. 0460)can supports FULL-SDS functionality only by connecting the microphone directly to the C connector. I saw this working in a new car but RNS-E was a H version with hardware 72.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.