Audi Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best way to get my iTunes library to play on a SD card for my RNS-E? Will AAC files play natively (I assume not)? If not, is there a way to easily convert for RNS-E compatibility? Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a way and, depending on what type of AAC you have, determines if its easy or not. (in the case of protected AAC files)

1. ( Convert from AAC (.m4a) to mp3 files)
If you have just converted your CDs to AAC then you may use dbpowerAMP
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

2. ( Convert from AAC (.m4p) to mp3 files)
If the AAC (.m4p) files are from iTunes and are protected you will have to unlock AAC with a program called Hymn (not sure if this still works)

http://hymn-project.org/

Then convert these unprotected AAC (.m4a) to mp3 with dbpowerAMP

·
Registered
32 Posts
thanx for the links

i always found it stupid that i couldnt play the music i bought legally, on other players than an ipod, considering i dont even own an ipod

·
Registered
515 Posts
another way to unlock the music you legally bought it to burn it to a CD and rip it back off.. if you are doing individual songs you may have to re-enter that tag info.. if you buy an entire album, you can burn it onto a CD (in the correct order), when you put it back in it will recognize the songs and fill in the tags for you..

i am not sure what happens if you burn an "mp3 CD", that might work better, i always burn an "audio CD"

for the future you can set iTunes up to rip your CDs to mp3s instead of ACC.. fortunately that is how i did mine and they play on the RNS-E just fine, though the tag info is incomplete..

also you can use a CD-RW so you dont waste CD-Rs..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Change your import settings in iTunes from AAC to MP3 then select the songs you wish to convert (Advanced > Convert selection to MP3).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Easy Export in MMI format

Hey guys,

I've been running into the same issue every since I got my RS 4 this spring.

I was having a *blast* converting all the files into MP3, copying them onto the SD card, and then deleting the MP3s from my iTunes library, but I thought there had to be a faster way of doing it all, let alone creating M3U files. It doesn't seem like there's anything out there that really does just this, so I taught myself a little AppleScript and wrote an app that does this in iTunes.

http://www.dexterparadise.com/Projects/AppleScript/Export_to_Audi_MMI.html

NOTE: This only works if you have a Mac and are running iTunes, of course.

It basically creates a library of folders for each artist in whatever location you choose and then also creates playlist files for the playlist you exported (if you chose to) and a playlist for each Genre of your songs. You can save them in whichever directory, provided it's all on the memory stick.

I've tested this a little bit in my car, and it works pretty well. It can take a while to run when you're converting, but hopefully it's faster than the alternative. Let me know what you think!

Rgds,
Kip

1 - 7 of 7 Posts