Audi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, first off I'm new to SD cards in general and RNS-E. My question is everything. From what do I need, to how do I use them. So

1. I assume just about any non-SDHC card should work(under 4 GB)

2. What are people using to read, write on there cards

3. What software to make Mp3's I have Itunes, are those MP3's

4. Any other good info.

Thanks so much, the reason for this is I am having issues with my IPod and have to send it in to have warranty work done so I will be with out it, So I need music.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,350 Posts
purplezr2 said:
Ok, first off I'm new to SD cards in general and RNS-E. My question is everything. From what do I need, to how do I use them. So

1. I assume just about any non-SDHC card should work(under 4 GB)

2. What are people using to read, write on there cards

3. What software to make Mp3's I have Itunes, are those MP3's

4. Any other good info.

Thanks so much, the reason for this is I am having issues with my IPod and have to send it in to have warranty work done so I will be with out it, So I need music.
I use 4GB SD cards.

I use an SD to USB converter.

I rip my CDs to MP3 directly. Other who use iTunes have to convert their music to MP3s.

There is a limit of 512 files PLUS folders on an SD card.

The RNS-E does not accept characters like "!" in filenames.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PetrolDave said:
purplezr2 said:
Ok, first off I'm new to SD cards in general and RNS-E. My question is everything. From what do I need, to how do I use them. So

1. I assume just about any non-SDHC card should work(under 4 GB)

2. What are people using to read, write on there cards

3. What software to make Mp3's I have Itunes, are those MP3's

4. Any other good info.

Thanks so much, the reason for this is I am having issues with my IPod and have to send it in to have warranty work done so I will be with out it, So I need music.
I use 4GB SD cards.

I use an SD to USB converter.

I rip my CDs to MP3 directly. Other who use iTunes have to convert their music to MP3s.

There is a limit of 512 files PLUS folders on an SD card.

The RNS-E does not accept characters like "!" in filenames.
1. Suggestion on were to buy, I was thinking about starting with a 2 GB

2. Are these just those cheap 6-10 USb readers(do they have to have able to write also.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,350 Posts
purplezr2 said:
1. Suggestion on were to buy, I was thinking about starting with a 2 GB

2. Are these just those cheap 6-10 USb readers(do they have to have able to write also.
1) I've bought from eBay and from online PC retailers - never from a store because their prices are usually much higher.

2) You need to be able to write - to put the MP3 files onto the SD card! I have two types - a freebie I got when I bought my 4GB cards (excellent, 100% reliable), and a "read lots of different types of cards" reader that I bought (not 100% reliable). I'd go for a simple USB to SD read/write converter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
With regards to ebay, be aware that there are a lot of fake memory cards on there.

With prices the way they are at present, I'd go with a 4GB card rather than a 2GB one. I'm using one of these:

http://www.mobymemory.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SD_MOBYMEMORY_4096_001

Work perfectly and comes with a free card reader although I have to say the reader I got with mine is a bit flaky so I use a slightly different one I got from the same people when I bought a 2GB card a while back and this works perfectly with the 4GB.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top