Audi Forum banner

SD card facts

31K views 84 replies 31 participants last post by  AudiA4Turbo22 
#1 ·
Some assumptions made in the past about SD cards and MP3 songs in the RNS-E seem to be wrong based on what the manual says.

Audi says SD/MMC cards up to 256MB can be used. However, it has been confirmed that even 1GB cards work just fine.

Audi says that the cards must be formatted FAT (FAT16) or FAT32. This was new to me as in the past, everybody said it has to be FAT16. FAT32 makes SD cards bigger than 4GB usable.

Audi says that MP3 must be MPEG-1, layer 3 formatted, and bits rates between 32 and 320kbits/s (160kbits/s recommended) are supported.

Audi says that each SD card has a limit of 256 folders and 400 files. This may make the use of bigger SD cards useless, except you want to encode with a higher bit rate using the additonal space.

Audi says ID3 tags version 1 and 2 are supported (up to 64 characters), so are playlists in the m3u format.

#2 ·
I, too, can confirm that the 1 GB cards work. I don't use playlists (I just browse the directories) so I can't comment on them. I'll try to load up my 1 GB card and see if I can break 400 songs - that seems like a lot to try an fit on a 1 GB card anyhow - or maybe my 128kbps encoding is behind the times. :)

Is there something in particular someone may want me to try?

#4 ·
I have 2x 1GB SD cards installed, no problems. Just got to work out a good way to organise the directories. Currently I have the following...

Album 1/
track1
track2
trackn
Album2/
track1
track2
trackn

etc, but I can't seem to navigate the directories easily. Any help?

Craig

#6 ·
1 GB SD cards work. I have about 700MB on my card now. No issues.

To navigate more easily - hit the Return key a couple times to return to the root directory. From there you can select what subdirectory you want.

Justin

#7 ·
radef said:
1 GB SD cards work. I have about 700MB on my card now. No issues.

To navigate more easily - hit the Return key a couple times to return to the root directory. From there you can select what subdirectory you want.

Justin
Doh!

#8 ·
i am having trouble reading 1GB SD cards??!?.. i have been using an old 64MB card for testing, and is it working fine..

i have tried 2 different 1GB SD cards and neither of them ever load.. i did everything the same between the 64MB and both 1GB..

i formatted as FAT.. should i uses FAT32??.. what do you guys use??..

i put ~700-800MB on both 1GB cards and tried each of the them in both slots..

i inserted the 1GB, but it never finished loading.. i put the card in, the screen said loading, i just walked away and let it load.. i came back 15, 30 & 45 mins later and the screen still said "loading"..

any ideas??..

i havent tried the 1GB with just a few songs on it, i will try that tonight..

thanks ..

#9 ·
My 2GB SanDisk formatted with FAT16 works just fine but the RNS-E does not index all the file names. The first few folder are indexed and the songs appear with the song name (no extension). But then, a few folders down, I see the files names until it plays a songs the first time.

Did you try to format it under XP with FAT and put only a few files on it? It also seems to need some space for temp files.

#10 ·
i formatted with FAT using win2000.. my options were FAT, FAT32 and NTFS..

i did it exactly the same way i did my 64MB and that one worked??..

i did not fill the 1GB -- i put about 750MB on it..

it never got past "loading"??..

i will start over and try just a few files, and keep adding if it works with less..

thanks ..

#11 ·
Is there different MP3 formats?

I've been using a 1GB SD card for a couple of weeks now without problems.

All the MP3 files have been ripped from audio CDs until this weekend ....

... when I thought I'd use a program called DVD Audio Ripper to extract some files from a music DVD.

It produces MP3 files that play on 3 different PCs I've tried, but on the RNS-E .... nothing! It just sits there showing a time of 00:00 and doesn't play these tracks.

I've checked the ID3 tags, and they all look the same as on my other MP3 files.

The file names are in the same format, the folder names are in the same format - I can't spot 1 single difference.

Anyone help?

#13 ·
Re: check

headcrash said:
http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=246
headcrash said:
Some tracks don't play at all! this I could fix with a mp3 repair tool.
The tool removes the first frame (IDV2 tag) and then you make a new IDv2 tag.
Which MP3 Repair Tool do you use?

#14 ·
i had some success last night.. but also saw some weird things..

i popped the 1GB card back in my computer to check it out..
-- one thing i noticed is i filled it up almost completely.. someone said you need a little bit of room..
-- 2nd thing some of the folders and files had crazy characters and grayed out and all sorts of strange corrupted looking stuff.. but some of the folders and files were fine..

so i formatted (FAT) and dumped just 200MB on the 1GB, threw it in the RNS-E and waala it worked..

i am not sure if it were just too full or if it got currupted when i was loading the card.. my PC is pretty old (700 MHz, USB 1) and tried to copy 700-800MB at one time to the card, perhaps it was too much for my system..

i will try to load up the 1GB 100-200MB at a time and leave some space on the card and see how it goes..

thanks for all your help..

#16 ·
Re: Repair tool

headcrash said:
http://www.drtag.de/en/downloads_mp3rt.htm
Using MP3 Repair Tool solved the problem I was having with MP3s ripped from a DVD.

Many thanks, headcrash :D

#17 ·
SD brands and sizes

I was using an OEM 1GB STARBLITZ SD that in fact didn't allow more than 750 GBs (low quality stuff) and RNS-E didn't read it.

Then I bought 2 x 250 GB SANDISK SD and loaded them with same MP3 songs that worked perfectly using both RNS-E readers (when playing you must manually change from Reader 1 to Reader 2)

So I assume part of the problem is the quality of SD's and suggest those who get 1GB cards working to list the brands they were using.

Thanks,

#18 ·
Re: SD brands and sizes

Ave_Fenix said:
So I assume part of the problem is the quality of SD's and suggest those who get 1GB cards working to list the brands they were using.
There is at least 2 grades of SD cards, some (low quality or MLC) assume that since you are storing a picture some loss of data is OK, and others (lossless or High Speed) work "properly".

www.amazon.co.uk said:
If you intend using the card for: high-megapixel digital cameras, movie recording, in applications where speed could be an issue or in various SD devices, a ByteStor Hi-Speed SD card is recommended. MLC (Multi-Level-Cell) SD cards can hold more data per cell. Therefore they have a lower production cost. MLC cards are generally slower but will work in many devices.
Basically - Avoid anything that says "MLC", Buy anything that says "Hi Speed".

#23 ·
Hi all, first post <wave>, have something to contribute, finally. :wink:

I have a 2008 DVD Nav system.

I used a 2gb SanDisk UltraII just this morning. It worked just fine. It only had a few folders on it.

I also used a cheap 1gb card and filled it up to 956mb and had no issues. Most of my material is encoded at 256.

So far the only annoyance has been the fact that it displays file name and not anything from the tag. Weak.

I've yet to use a playlist, or to fill it up. I'll post updates as I find out the limits.

#24 ·
irtehyar said:
I'll post updates as I find out the limits.
All the information about limits on file numbers and names has already been posted here more times than I can remember!

#25 ·
PetrolDave said:
All the information about limits on file numbers and names has already been posted here more times than I can remember!
It's your age

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.