Audi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not have daytime running lights so I sometimes turn on my headlights during the day. Anytime I turn on my headlights, the NAV screen automatically switches to a "night mode" where everything is darker. Is there anyway to control this (difficult to see "night mode" in bright sunlight, particularly with sunglasses)?

I thought for some reason that there was some kind of ambient light detector on the RNS unit that adjusts the brightness or night mode of the screen. If this is the case wouldn't it be independent of the headlight setting?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
There is a setting under setup that lets you set the RNS-E in day mode, night mode or auto mode. in auto mode it will switch to night mode whenever the lights are on.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I now see it under "Map Scheme". Two questions:

1. So there is no light sensor on the RNS-E units or anywhere on the B6 cars for that matter?

2. If I vag-com'd the car to use the Canadian protocol for DRL, will the RNS-E screen, when in auto mode, go to night mode all the time because the lights are on or just when the switch is turned to on?

Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, if you Vag to Canada with DRL, and your RNS is in auto mode, it will always be on "Night mode." I switched back to USA coding for that very reason.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. When programmed for Canada DRL, doesn't just the parking and fog lights go on (no low beam)? And that's enough to trigger the night mode, mmm; poor design?

Is there any of the DRL modes (Netherlands, Canada, Denmark, "Other") that would allow one to have a DRL setup without having night mode on all the time when programmed to "auto"?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I didn't test others to extensively. I quickly set it to rest of world, which I thought weren't supposed to have DRL, but only fogs with parking lights, but I still got the same result. I will look into this more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How exactly does one "Vag to USA"? I'm in Canada and have been putting up with this rather annoying DRL "auto" problem for years now and this is the first time I've read about a fix.

Thanks

·
Registered
517 Posts
JOEY-D said:
How exactly does one "Vag to USA"? I'm in Canada and have been putting up with this rather annoying DRL "auto" problem for years now and this is the first time I've read about a fix.

Thanks
Actually, since you have a CANGate, we can program it to switch day/night mode based on the photocell in the cluster, rather than the light switch. That is how I use my own CANGate, and a couple of people here do the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh right, I remember reading about that new cangate functionality (and cringing at the thought of pulling that little black box out from the depths of my centre console and sending it to you for programming!) Perhaps when there's one or two other cool cangate tricks developed I will send it to you. But in the meantime if something can be done about this issue via VAGCOM settings, I'm all for that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts