Audi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Odd request... but as a prospective RNS-E convert.. I am curious to hear what the voices sound like, both US and UK English.

Anybody have or know where there are samples of the voices?

Thanks.

·
Registered
737 Posts
As a matter of fact, I was trying to recode mine yesterday to use the UK English voice but the code would just revert back to the original. I tried it several times and no luck.

Let me know if someone get this coded for UK English.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
You cannot code the RNS-E running the US sw to any of the European languages including UK English. And you cannot code the RNS-E running the Euro sw to English US. The navi lady is on the DVD, if you would be using the Euro DVD and have your RNS-E code to English US, the lady would still speak English UK.

·
Registered
737 Posts
AudiA4B6US said:
You cannot code the RNS-E running the US sw to any of the European languages including UK English. And you cannot code the RNS-E running the Euro sw to English US. The navi lady is on the DVD, if you would be using the Euro DVD and have your RNS-E code to English US, the lady would still speak English UK.

Makes sense. I thought it would require things to be set like this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Although I suspect with access to both DVDs and a little patching, one could run the UK Voice with American Data.

And now that I've unhijacked the thread... :D does anybody have MP3s or video clips of the Navi & Guidance in action?

Thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
TDotB6 said:
Although I suspect with access to both DVDs and a little patching, one could run the UK Voice with American Data.
I doubt it will be that easy, as the nav lady not only says generic things such as "turn right now", but she talks about things that are sortof country specific (freeways, roundabouts, etc). Furthermore, at least in the bay area, they have samples of a lady saying the names of major streets. Which is pretty cool, since then she can say "next, make a right on De Anza Blvd" -- if you dropped the UK samples into the US DVD or vice versa, you would get pretty unexpected results with that feature -- or maybe it just wouldn't work? :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Addendum to my prior post. Looked into the format of the VOICEDAT.KWI file, and it separates "general purpose voices" from "proper voices", where "proper voices" know things such as street names, etc. One could go and write a tool to merge the "general purpose voices" from one VOICEDAT.KWI (say, the UK one) with the "proper voices" from another VOICEDAT.KWI (say, the US one) to generate a hybrid.

Of course, that would be quite a bit of work, since the formats are rather complex.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts