Audi Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any instructions on how to remove the lower trim peices inside the car to hide the wire when i run it up to the nav unit? or whatever the easiest way to do it is. I just got my extension cable in the mail today and want to try to install it.

nick

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how did you remove the roof liner peice to access the wires that come from the sharkfin? im afraid of breaking it...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I removed it very carefully...or so I though...but I still broke one of the clips. But it stays up there perfectly fine. If it didn't, I would have been stuck buying a new one.

A few years back when I was installing a complete sound system in my 2002 A4 (have a 2005 S4 now), I pretty much removed every interior trim piece (with the help of the Bentley CD). I didn't break a single clip anywear. Having done big installs on other cars, I can tell you that Audi seems to have excellent quality interior pieces compared to most other cars. When I re-installed everything, you never would have known I had it taken apart.

So good luck. And hey, whats the worst that can happen? Haha!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so do you basically just pull it straight down from the side that borders the glass? I got it to pop a few times along the length of it, but it hasnt really broken loose at all and i'm afraid to pull any harder on it... should i just keep pulling and see what happens? or do i have to pull it towards the glass or something?

·
Registered
63 Posts
If I recall, I pulled it straight down. Now since I broke a clip, that could mean: 1) straight down is *not* the way to go; or 2) I pulled too fast/hard.

Sorry...but I can't help you beyond this. The Bentley CD had instructions for removing trim pieces like this...and it would tell you or show you the right way to pull or at least give you a clue as to what type of clips are up there. But I am on a business trip and I do not have access to my Bentley CD.

Can anyone else look this up and help him out?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Straight down is the way you want to pull it. The reason you may have broke some clips is that it helps a whole lot if you go get a clip removal tool. That way you can help the clip out of the hole rather than tugging on it along with the trim piece and that's what usually breaks.

If you get a clip remover tool from you local auto parts store, just give it a little pull and then stick the clip tool in there "around the clip" and gently pry out.

Its really not that hard, and it shouldn't worry you too much.

·
Registered
345 Posts
If you have the the A4 Saloon B6 you dont need to remove the head liner the shark fin sits directly above the rear overhead reading lights if you remove the light unit with a flat bladded screw driver the wires are right there then just run it to one side of your car and tuck the wire as discribed in this thread

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just installed the GPS extension cable myself yesterday and it couldn't have been easier, i was surprised. Just pull off the trim that runs horizontally accross the top of the rear window, basically get your fingers in-between the glass and trim and pull gently until it pops. Then look at the top of the right rear pillar in the small hole and there sits the GPS connector. You might have to remove a screw and pull the trim to access it also. This whole process should take about 30 minutes max if it's your first time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
StunnerS4 said:
Just installed the GPS extension cable myself yesterday and it couldn't have been easier, i was surprised. Just pull off the trim that runs horizontally accross the top of the rear window, basically get your fingers in-between the glass and trim and pull gently until it pops. Then look at the top of the right rear pillar in the small hole and there sits the GPS connector. You might have to remove a screw and pull the trim to access it also. This whole process should take about 30 minutes max if it's your first time.
stunner, you didn't happen to take pics of your install did you? did you have to drop your glove box to route the cable to the RNS-E?

·
Registered
20 Posts
no pics sorry. the hardest part is actually finding the connector at the back right rear top pillar, after that, running the cable takes a few minutes only. Just tuck the wire under the plastic moulding on the inside of the kick guards that run along the lower edge of the door sils. Keep tucking until you get to the glovebox and then just improvise to hide it, there is lots of room to do so. running the cable took me all of probably 3 minutes. It's definitely worth the effort to use the submarine gps receiver, i get 8 sats all the time, no problems.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
StunnerS4 said:
youre the man, that is EXACTLY the info i needed. I pulled off my rear trim peice today and I couldnt find the GPS connector anywhere. going outside now to try to find it. thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here's a pic from another install. I put some general directions to orient you in the picture, ie front and rear of the car. You might have to remove the torx screw shown in the pic to pull the plastic piece away from the ceiling in order to get a feel for the gps connector. My connector was covered in the same foam you see in the pic, so if you feel the foam...you've got it. Gently coax it out and you should have enough room to connect the cable. My GPS cable near the connector was attatched to the body with a plastic tie...DO NOT cut that thing, you might nick the cable and then you're up sh_t creek. Good luck buddy.
http://www.drcrippen.ca/images/connect_to_sharkfin.jpg

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
StunnerS4 said:
Here's a pic from another install. I put some general directions to orient you in the picture, ie front and rear of the car. You might have to remove the torx screw shown in the pic to pull the plastic piece away from the ceiling in order to get a feel for the gps connector. My connector was covered in the same foam you see in the pic, so if you feel the foam...you've got it. Gently coax it out and you should have enough room to connect the cable. My GPS cable near the connector was attatched to the body with a plastic tie...DO NOT cut that thing, you might nick the cable and then you're up sh_t creek. Good luck buddy.
ok, sweet. and you just ran it down the back of the C pillar and down the passenger side? I'm going to do this tonight now that i have my roofliner peice off.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
StunnerS4 said:
so dont cut that?? i cant find the connector, but i found the zip tie, and i took out the torx screw. its pretty hard to see up in there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts