Audi Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to take posession of a brand new U.S. 2006 A4 3.0 Cab with Nav (RNS-E i think), Bose/Sirius, Glove box 6 disc, and Bluetooth.

After trying to make sense of all the posts, I have to admit that I am still confused.

1. Can I add a PhatBox to this setup? I assume it will replace the changer, but I have read confilcting reports if it will work properly. Someplaces say it wont work with nav, others that it wont work with sat. If the system supports nav, sat, and the changer... and the phatbox replaces the changer, why does sat even matter?

2. (independant of the PhatBox, if I chose...) Can I add an Ipod adapter to this system? Most recommend the Icelink Plus, but some posts say it doesnt work with the RNS-e. Somewhere I read that it won't replace the changer and that you can chose to use the changer or the ipod. Is this correct? Even http://densionusa.com/ is unclear to me. They say they support A4 1998-2005 (ordering page doesnt even list 06). They list Chorus, Concert, Symphony, Symphony II radio (6 disk in-dash) systems But what is the system in my car (RNS-E + Bose). They also say its not compatible with factory XM module. So is Sirius out of luck also? Also not compatible with MMI cars. My nav looks like MMI, but I read somewhere it actually isnt.

3. Is the icelink plus the same as Audi adapter? Arent they both made by the same company? Which one is better and why?

If my understanding is correct, I think some of the confuion comes from the fact that the Europe 06 A4 cab is a model year aherad of the US 06 A4 cab.

I just want my System to work with either ipod or phatbox and have all my stock features working (except for maybe the changer).

Thanks in advance.

Brad

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I just got off the phone with www.densionusa.com and they are telling me that the upcoming DICE adapter would be better than the Icelink plus. And that the song text display doesnt work anyway. Does the text display work on the Phatbox and my RNS-E system?

Even more confused now.

·
Registered
367 Posts
If you've got the glovebox CD changer, you should be able to replace it with the PhatBox. However, you'll need the "VW" version of the PhatBox because the cable from the RNS-E to the glovebox changer has a rectangular head instead of the round connector found in trunk-mounted changers.

As for an additional iPod, there'd be no way to connect it unless you came up with some sort of splitter cable with a device selection switch to change between the PhatBox and the iPod. IMHO, the only thing an iPod gets you that the PhatBox doesn't is the ability to play DRM AAC files from the iTunes Music Store.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Based on what has bene posted so far, the new Dension interface (I think it was the 400 series) will allow the use of the cd changer (or phatbox for that matter) and an iPod at the same time. I guess they added some logic to allow switching between the iPod and a CD changer style device. Without that new interface it's either only one (CD changer or Phatbox or iPod) or invloves a custom made passive switcher.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mike3141 said:
If you've got the glovebox CD changer, you should be able to replace it with the PhatBox. However, you'll need the "VW" version of the PhatBox because the cable from the RNS-E to the glovebox changer has a rectangular head instead of the round connector found in trunk-mounted changers.
I would rather use the phatbox over the ipod anyways. I already own 2 for my other cars.

So, assuming this is the final word. All I need to do is order the VM Phatbox version? (plenty on ebay)

Before I hook the phatbox up to the car, should I upgrade it to the Audi firmware? Is the VW firmware the same as the Audi firmware? Does all the Audi documentation (such as radio type selection) still apply? This is the only stuff I have found and it only references Audi not VW. (http://www.phatnoise.com/audi/support.htm)

Thanks for all the help,

Brad

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great. Ill order a VW one right now.

Is there a Mag. Random on the RNS-E? And is it true that when on random, if you skip forward a track it exits from random mode? That would be annoying.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yes, there is. And yes it does and it is...

I'm hoping that the MIX option will be fixed to stay turned on in a future RNS software rev.[/quote]

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi Brad,

Was away for a few days (enjoying lots of music in my Phatbox! :D) but here my experiences so far:

• - you can use either a VW or Audi Phabox; I already owned an Audi Phatbox (was mounted in my previous car, a TT) so my dealer just ordered the right connector to make it fit the RNS-E
    - firmware in both is the same (latest is v7.02, don't expect any updates from now on)
    - random mode works in two ways (random within playlist/artis/genre or random over ALL songs); pressing any next/previous key, however, cancels this :(
    - user interface is somewhat different then the Concert II which I used previously in my TT, but when you were able to select the right Radio Type (T) and maybe modify the phanoise.ini file somewhat, it is ok

I will repost the installation pictures in my S4 convertible, so you can have a look. I drove though Germany yesterday, and it is now officially 155 mph (250 km/h) proof! :D

regards,

S4udibert akak Albert

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Albert,

I would love to see them. I should be recieving the Audi phatbox, VW cable, and radio removal tools tomarrow. I will have to figure if I can get the phatbox in the glove box or if I need to get the phatbox cable extended and put in the trunk.

I have a extra PhatBox LE edition laying around. I wish I could have used it, but the hardware has been updated since its original release and the newer firmwares dont work. (from what I understand)

I am also going to have to find some recommendations for running the cables from the dash to the trunk.

Brad

·
Registered
142 Posts
bdavidson said:
Albert,

I would love to see them. I should be recieving the Audi phatbox, VW cable, and radio removal tools tomarrow. I will have to figure if I can get the phatbox in the glove box or if I need to get the phatbox cable extended and put in the trunk.

I have a extra PhatBox LE edition laying around. I wish I could have used it, but the hardware has been updated since its original release and the newer firmwares dont work. (from what I understand)

I am also going to have to find some recommendations for running the cables from the dash to the trunk.

Brad
Here are the pictures:
http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1M0JT0SSD4SXH0RAW87D75LPKJ

I shortly considered in putting the Phatbox in the glove box, but the Phatbox is bigger than the original CD changer, so it is not that easy (or nice looking). Further I have the cooling box in my dash, so not a lot of space left anyway.

As you can see on the pictures, now the Phatbox does not take up any (usable) space at all! You need a (standard) Audi CD-changer extender cable and lead this cable to the back.

good luck!

A.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. I have seen your pictures before.

When I get the phatbox, Ill spend some time to figure out how all the cables connect. Know anyplace online with some jints at the best way to fish teh cable to the trunk?

Without having the Phatbox or pulling out the RNS-E, I am unclear how the wires connect. I am assuimg I will be unplugging the changer from the back of the RNS-E and plugging the VW phatbox cable in its place.

It sound like I will need to get an Audi extension cable with the RNS-E jack female on one end and male on the other. Any idea what the part number would be?

Brad

·
Registered
142 Posts
I was so "dumb" (or is it smart? :D) to let my dealer install it for me, so I have no clue.........I know he used a regulare Audi CD changer extensions cable, and passed this through the bottum-left side of the car (onder the carpet).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got it all installed and working perfectly. Although currently the phatbox is sitting in the passenger foot area.

I got to find the right extension cable now.

Brad

1 - 14 of 14 Posts