Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am attempting to install my phatnoise in my 07 rs4, which worked perfectly in my b6s4 using the sat radio audio passthrough method. This is the phatnoise with the VW cable, the cheap one available a couple of years ago. The pin table I used in the s4 is shown in the second image below, and the pinout of the new symphony headunit is the first image.

I gave it a shot and guessed on a couple of pins in the HU w/ the following settings (the clock, data in, and data out are the same)... Battery +12V went to [+Ub CDC] and Battery +12V Switched went to [CDC with what looks like a switch symbol]. I only had 5 of the updated conncectors, so for the ground I ran the bare wire to the bolt in the fuse area, where my v1 is grounded.

Can anyone confirm that I made the right or wrong guesses? Also, 3 additional issues of note:

(1) the symphony II+ may not support the phat noise--anyone know?

(2) when I installed the sat radio, it came up "no sat radio." my salesman told me about a trick in the front passenger kickpanel where you have to switch the plug from a dummy to the actual connection going to the HU. Perhaps this switch screws up the sat passthrough function?

(3) does the symphony II+ have a different method for switching to an external CDC? on the sII, you just push CD twice.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Currently, the phatnoise does not function (push CD twice to get to changer, as on symphony II, and nothing happens...) There is a red light on the phat with an intermittent blinking green light.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
You are for sure the first one with a Symphony II+ here on the forum, so responses may be limited. I would be very interested to see more pictures of the back/front/top and the plugs comming from the car.

Besides that, there some people who had issues with a phatbox until they connected the CD ground pin to the correct contact at the head unit. There there were also people who had problems controlling the phatbox until they configured it for the right head unit.

The diagram shows conenctors for AUX L/R/gnd, is there anything connected on the car side to those pins? It could be that they changed the way the SAT receiver is connected - or those pins are simply for a future ultimate iPod interface.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aux input

The aux input is also interesting to me... My hope was to use the sat passthrough for the phatnoise and, if it looks as easy as it is, add an ipod through the aux.

I will definitely take some more pics and post them. The manual that came with the car is for a symphony II, so I am in the dark about a lot of features including disabling GALA, etc. Perhaps there is a special way to switch to the CDC. The new manual is on order but will probably end up being less than informative, as audi manuals typically are...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I'd be interested to see a good pic of the face...perhaps there is a different way of getting to the CDC than pressing the CD button twice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pics of face symphony II+

Here are some pics of the face... the first shows the sat radio display during normal operation... the second shows the sat radio menu after you push the menu button... notice the very limited options. SVC can be selected from 0 to 5 and is independent of source (i.e. if you select 3 on sat and go to CD, it will remain at 3. I thought it was a volume equalizer at first as it definitely affects the playing level, but since it cannot be set uniquely for each source I have no idea... All of the source menus are the same except for sat which adds the categories function (shown below on right of menu)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
SVC is your GALA setting. Turns up the volume as you go faster, open windows or sunroof. Zero is off, 5 is the most change.

·
Registered
996 Posts
NSX JR said:
It does appear that the headunit now has two audio inputs... one for CDC and one for AUX...pretty nice!
That was exactly what I was thinking. Looks like the collective team has a new "project". I also think it is neat that the Sym II + uses a quadlock vs. mini-iso's.

Chris,
see slides 6 and 7 of this pdf.
http://www.nsxjr.com/ted/TED_RNS_E.pdf

Some things to note:
a) bose pin (7) is different is in different location - no biggie
b) not sure what SDI stands for -- maybe Sym DIsk audio?
c) K line is shifted from Connector B to C
d) Most of the other pin-outs are very similar to the RNS-E
e) I wonder if this Sym II + will need to be VAG'd when using an external changer
f) still can't believe that the RNSE isn't just a standard option on the B7 RS4
g) The aux inputs will probably work when a audio source is connected. Chris, I can mock up some RCA's to test this when I see you in person. Just make sure you have a full tank of gas ready for me! :) Ha!
h) I don't think that Audi ever intended anyone to run the SAT tuner and CDC/phatbox with this. To use both, will require some audio rewiring using the audio-pass through at the SAT tuner (t8s connector); this is well documented on this forum. I can help out here.

Here's my rough estimate at Connector B in your Sym II+:
1 - AUX L (aux input left audio)o
2 - CD SDI (audio ground for CD changer)
3 - AUX (aux in audio ground)
4 - +UB CDC (Constant power source for CD changer)
5 - Bose Pin
6 - CDC-Data out (CDC data out)
7 - AUX R (aux input right audio)
8 - SDI CD-L (cd changer left audio in)
9 - SDI CD-R (cd changer right audio in)
10 - CDC (Ignition/accessory power for CD changer)
11 - Data IN (cd changer data input)
12 - CLOCK (cd changer clock input)

We'll have to experiment a little bit. Talk to you soon.

-Ted

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quick AUX in experiment failed

I disconnected all of the phatnoise -related wires to try out an ipod on the aux input, just to see what happened... Made a cable with Audio L and Right into female RCAs and cable jackets to ground... used a stereo Y connector to go to ipod and nothing happened... I tried every conceivable button combo to get it to switch to the aux input but nothing worked. I am thinking that this head unit will have to be vag'd for anything to happen. Just FYI in a continuing saga...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Symphony II+ Update: Aux Input Working for Ipod

Thanks to Uwe at ross-tech and my new vag-com tool, I have the aux input up and running with my ipod...

I ordered a vag tool and used it to recode the radio from 0210112 to
0310112... Hit CD twice and you get the aux input... No surprises on the cable. Now for the phatnoise, I can apparently recode to 0320112 and open up the CDC input as well... Just waiting for pins...

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Did I get this right, you have the option to connect two independent audio sources to the Symphony II+? One to the AUX pins and one via CDC pins? The coding you mentioned doesn't seem to match the older Symphony II coding, do you have a complete chart with all the coding options?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
Did I get this right, you have the option to connect two independent audio sources to the Symphony II+? One to the AUX pins and one via CDC pins? The coding you mentioned doesn't seem to match the older Symphony II coding, do you have a complete chart with all the coding options?
No one seems to be able to answer this for sure, but I can tell you that the first recoding enabled the aux input. I just need to re-wire the phatnoise into the CDC input and then I will know for sure if the second step works (required pins are shipping today). Currently with the aux, I hit CD twice and it shows as AUX Input on the HU as well as the information display. Uwe at Ross Tech couldn't say if the PN will work (perhaps symph II+ lacks required interface) but I think he is confident that the CDC input will open up with the recoding, effectively allowing 2 sources to connect...

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Cool, please keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Anyone have a guess as to what the "AU PL" pin is for? Perhaps the Audiopilot microphone?

IMO the SDI is for satellite/digital input referring to the fact that the SAT/digital radio uses the same audio inputs as a CD changer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds promising!

Okay, I'm a total noob here, picking up my '07 A4 on Monday, but have been very interested to learn more about connecting my iPod to the Symphony II+ as soon as possible.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like I need the Vag-Com to recode my stereo to recognize the aux in. Wondering what type of adapter to use with my iPod though. Would one of the older icelink units work? I see them on clearance over on fleabay. or do I need to custom wire a solution into the Aux In?

Thanks!
Gundo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ipod

I've got Aux-In set up now on my Boxster S (which doesn't support ipod control) and I prefer to just use the ipod interface for control.

Not that I really need it, but what is the best kit then, to maximize control of the ipod via the Symphony II+?

Also - can you point me to a bluetooth product or install?

Thanks in Advance,
Gundo

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
If you want to control the ipod via the sym2+ you will need to connect it through the CDC port and connect the audio wires to the sat tuner pass through connections. This would be pretty much exactly the same concept as the old symphony II except that the connectors are different.

For bluetooth products, you can browse my website.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Everything works now!

So I recoded the radio to 0320112 and used the connector from europarts (thanks for the link teddy) to wire up everything one last time. It is the cheapest way to get the pins you need for either the phatnoise or the aux in and can be found at:

https://www.euro-parts.us/product.php?productid=16174&cat=273&page=2

Anyway it all works. I have sirius, ipod through the aux-in, and phatnoise through the CDC / Sat passthrough. I am working on connecting the ipod to power, but for now I am quite happy with what I have. Depending on how you look at it, it is nice that the rs4 does not have a spare but rather a foam piece filling in the spot in the trunk, making it very easy to mount the PN under the cargo liner by simply removing a little foam.

By the way, the grounding discussed in the original post worked--you do not need to ground the PN to the headunit, although there is a spot for it. But you would need to get a different pin (not the one listed above).

1 - 20 of 40 Posts