Audi Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I have spent the last 3 hours lurking on the boards, sifting through tonnes of information. I just wish I could understand it!

My dilemma is this:

I have just bought a 2006 B7 RS4 with no SatNav (must be the only one in the northern hemisphere without RNS-E). In its place is a "Concert" radio. The car also comes with factory fitted mobile phone installation/holder, 6 CD changer, BOSE speakers and metallic multi-functional steering wheel. Through the postings I have learned that I would need to retro-fit the RNS-E DVD based Navigation system ( 8E0 035 192). I have also leanerd that by looking at the Audi part numbers there is a letter at the end of the part number that denotes the release number. I have seen reference to C, D and more recently K and even X. I presume that it is optimal to have the latest version? Am I also right in thinking that older Concert models were "single DIN" but my new RS4's Concert radio is a "double DIN"? This would mean that I do not have to replace the fascia and the RNS-E system will just slot in where the Concert would have been. Would I also not have to remove the air conditioning unit and heated seats control panel? However, it will be necessary to buy and fit a GPS antenna (not sure where though!) and to change some wires around (e.g BOSE and k-line IIRC).

I would be extremely grateful if someone could validate/contradict the statements above so I may be able to start sourcing the parts needed for this little venture!

Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi mate,

Welcome to the forum. As you have the new style concert head unit, to put sat nav into your RS4 is really simple. All it will involve is a straight swap with the headunits. Your car will already have the new style quadlock connector in the back of the concert. So you will not need to buy a plug and play adapter. You will also not have to trim you aircon panel. AFAIK all you will have to do is move the Bose wire to PIN B7 on your existing connector when you fit the nav unit.

Most units you can buy will come complete with a GPS antenna, so no problem there.

The only thing this will leave to do will be recode the car with VagCom, so the unit is set up properly and to enable you to get the nav directions in the instrument cluster.

I am by no way an expert at this, so if I have given you duff info someone will be along soon who knows vast amounts more than me. However I have managed to fit my unit and recode it correctly, so I am not a complete biffer!!

Where about do you live, as there may be someone local to you who can help you out with VagCom.

Terry

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for the reply Terry - much obliged.

I am based in Sweden these days so my last RS4s have been left hookers.... Great news about the easy retro-fit - sigh of relief there.

I don't own a VAGCOM at present but clearly this will be something I will have to rectify sooner rather than later. Will need to speak to those chaps at Ross Tech and get on the band wagon. I guess the VAGCOM is fairly intuitive but if I get stuck I may need to come knocking again.

Again, thanks for the information!

Regards

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One more question. When the RNS-E is installed with all the wiring correctly done, where is the best place to situate the GPS antenna so that it's neat and tidy? I believe they look like hockey pucks on the end of a wire don't they? Where should the cable be run and where does the hockey puck end go?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think If you have a 2006 model, you should have concert2 single din unit so you will need to do a reasonably complex install including cutting some parts of the centre console?

You will need a double din frame (I sourced mine from ebay!), a quadlock to isos adapter (same place) and the RNS obviously. Most units on ebay have the gps antenna included. You will also need vag com and a vag com lead (pref a proper one, not a copy since you may need to recode your phone unit)
There is a load of info here which will enable you to do it and a good step by step guide on www.audiretrofit.co.uk.

If you do have the double din, you are set as stated so good luck; if you dont have a gap above the ashtray then you d have the new double din concert.

Your rs4 wasnt the only one with concert; mine had it too!..

Keep asking , the guys here are very helpful...

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Not quite correct, your car is a B7 RS4 so will still be using K line, that would also have to be relocated to code the RNS-E.

You don't have to move the BOSE wire if you do not have BOSE

I put a little guide together on another post regarding K-line and BOSE pin

Craig

terrymcg said:
Hi mate,

Welcome to the forum. As you have the new style concert head unit, to put sat nav into your RS4 is really simple. All it will involve is a straight swap with the headunits. Your car will already have the new style quadlock connector in the back of the concert. So you will not need to buy a plug and play adapter. You will also not have to trim you aircon panel. AFAIK all you will have to do is move the Bose wire to PIN B7 on your existing connector when you fit the nav unit.

Most units you can buy will come complete with a GPS antenna, so no problem there.

The only thing this will leave to do will be recode the car with VagCom, so the unit is set up properly and to enable you to get the nav directions in the instrument cluster.

I am by no way an expert at this, so if I have given you duff info someone will be along soon who knows vast amounts more than me. However I have managed to fit my unit and recode it correctly, so I am not a complete biffer!!

Where about do you live, as there may be someone local to you who can help you out with VagCom.

Terry

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
the911sc said:
Your rs4 wasnt the only one with concert; mine had it too!..
I spec'd my RS4 with a Symphony II, because I knew I was going to do the RNS-E retrofit and it would save me the single- to double-DIN conversion.

If you ARE lucky enough to have the latest Concert with the Quadlock connector then despite what some people say it will most definitely NOT be a direct plug'n'play. It's only a direct plug'n'play in an A3 without Bose.

Since you have an RS4 (which has Bose as standard) then even if you do have a new-style Concert then you will have to move 2 pins (Bose and K-line).

I get slightly annoyed when some people continue to post incorrect information about this - the correct information has been posted here several times - and craigyb's guide says it all!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sorry,

I was only trying to help the guy out, and I did say I was no expert!!

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
PetrolDave said:
I get slightly annoyed when some people continue to post incorrect information about this - the correct information has been posted here several times - and craigyb's guide says it all!
I do too, sometimes too much misinformation can be a problem

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
terrymcg said:
I was only trying to help the guy out, and I did say I was no expert!!
Terry - No offence intended or taken I hope - this is a complex subject and I've learnt the hard way(!) to say "I don't know" quite often - and I know there is almost certain to be someone come along with direct experience of the exact situation being asked about.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks

Well, thanks to you all for your comments and advice. My RS4 is delivered on the 28th and I will see for sure whether it is single or double DIN. Let's hope the Gods of the SatNav are smiling and I am blessed with a double........

Either way, I need to get myself an RNS-E system and looking through ebay.co.uk and ebay.de, I have found several. My last questions on this topic are these:

1. What is the part number of the latest RNS-E version? It seems to me that the letter at the end denotes the age of the version. What are we up to here? Are there any versions that I should stay away from (e.g C)?

If anyone can recommend any reasonably priced vendors of RNS-E systems, I would be grateful. I live in Sweden but go back to the UK regularly so maybe buying from a US-based person could be problematic?

I will look at the link posted earlier also. Thanks for that.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry..

Just spotted the post on Part Numbers in the quick links section that answers my questions quite nicely!

Sorry 'bout that.

:oops:

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Re: Thanks

rs4-sson said:
Well, thanks to you all for your comments and advice. My RS4 is delivered on the 28th and I will see for sure whether it is single or double DIN.
If it's a new build 2007 model being delivered on the 28th then it's most likely to be a double DIN.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ahem....it's being delivered on the 28th yes - but the car was actually built in February 2006....guess I'm shafted then (i.e single DIN)??

What a pain in the @rse....

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
rs4-sson said:
guess I'm shafted then (i.e single DIN)??
Many people have done the single to double DIN conversion, it's just a bit more work (and cost).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.