Audi Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a B6 (A4) and am planning on purchasing an RNS-E kit. I've done a lot of research and decided I will want to use the sharkfin antenna that I have in my car. I am a bit confused about the easiest way to install this and route the cable because I have seen some different explanations. One installation method involved removing some roof panels whereas another method someone posted involved simply removing the rear light cover. Has anyone routed a cable to the sharkfin on a B6 A4 and can they tell me if removing the rear light cover will suffice?

I've never done anything like this before so I'm trying to find the easiest, safest way to accomplish this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
first of all, good choice on routing to sharkfin... takes around a half hour, and well worth it.

easiest way is probably through the headliner... find the connector in the back, then unscrew the handles (both of them) on the right hand side, then bring the wire through the headliner (steer it clear from the airbags) then tuck it under the A pillar (thing that holds the windshield) and then pull it in through the glovebox into the radio area...

almost as easy to do it through the floor panels (but i didnt do it cause those are held in with clips that are a BITCH to take off)...

good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
For safety purposes, I would install it down the c-pillar and under the carpet. You dont want to risk your side curtain airbags getting tangled in the GPS wire. If you are just tucking wires into the headliner, it is not secure and can move around over time. Take the time to remove the door sills and tuck the wire into the looms under the carpeting. This is, of course, just my opinion.

·
Registered
258 Posts
but if the force of the airbag is strong enough to break through the handles and everything, wont it also be strong enough to rip the wire???

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shawnie53 said:
but if the force of the airbag is strong enough to break through the handles and everything, wont it also be strong enough to rip the wire???
I don't think I'll take that risk. I'll follow what NSX Jr said, although I am still wondering if I can get away with just taking off the rear light and not the whole roofliner. I guess I'll have to try it myself if no one has tried that before.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.